Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

My very crappy rain gauge in harrah shows a half inch of rain and we had to have 70ish mph winds. It almost took the grill off the porch and threw my lawn chairs into the neighbors yard.

What are your thoughts on tomorrow? Aaron Tuttle just gave a very ominous forecast. We very well might be looking at another high risk and PDS watch, except tomorrow the OKC metro will be the focus instead of western Oklahoma. He also stated that EF4+ tornadoes look likely tomorrow for central Oklahoma.

You have to love these La Nina springs. Eerily quiet in April and then May hits with a vengeance.

The stuff I heard earlier is tomorrow could be as potent as today but it all depended on how quickly the atmosphere recovered in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    What are your thoughts on tomorrow? Aaron Tuttle just gave a very ominous forecast. We very well might be looking at another high risk and PDS watch, except tomorrow the OKC metro will be the focus instead of western Oklahoma. He also stated that EF4+ tornadoes look likely tomorrow for central Oklahoma.

You have to love these La Nina springs. Eerily quiet in April and then May hits with a vengeance.
    From what I've seen, it really depends on whether we have rain in the morning or not. Not sure why he didn't mention that. Aaron hypes things up in subtle ways while pretending he's an angel.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    The stuff I heard earlier is tomorrow could be as potent as today but it all depended on how quickly the atmosphere recovered in this area.
    Hopefully there is just enough "junk" remaining to keep temperatures down and the threat lower. One of the models shows a classic setup of supercells firing around Chickasha, moving up the H.E. Bailey threatening Moore. We won't know for sure though until tomorrow because the current models don't take into account the impact today's storms had on the atmosphere.

Mike Morgan's forecast was anything but hype tonight. Pretty refreshing if you ask me.

Multiple tornadoes reported throughout E/NE OK tonight. The morning will tell the greater story as much of tonights events were rain wrapped.

Pretty solid hail storm Just now on the far NW side

I am traveling back to okc today from west Texas. I'm trying to leave early enough to avoid any storms that may pop up. I can take I40 or 44. Any idea about what time the storms will pop up?

10. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Plan was to head to the cabin at the Arbuckles this evening but after looking at 1 Day Tornado and Hail outlook rethinking that.

Any chance this rain in the SW part of the state this morning wrecks this evenings chances of severe weather? What time does the SPC update the Day 1 outlooks.... My travel decisions today are all be controlled by the weather obviously and I have a storm shelter here but not at the cabin... Only option at the cabin is flash flood prone creeks.

Some fast moving storms coming off the outflow of the complex down in TX will likely impact C OK this morning. This will help to soften the instability potential for today. Flooding rain will be the primary threat this morning.

12. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Some fast moving storms coming off the outflow of the complex down in TX will likely impact C OK this morning. This will help to soften the instability potential for today. Flooding rain will be the primary threat this morning.
    Looks like small hail from El Reno to Clinton already this morning. That was fast!

Is there going to be another round of rain this afternoon or tonight ? The system seems to have pulled to the Northeast ?

Yes, development taking place now to the SW of OKC. This will move in over the next hour or so.

Well, so much for that guesstimated 2-4" rain through SAT. All the development is on a track for maybe skirting the far SE metro.

Yes, the boundary of all the flooding rain setup further east than forecast. Some places just SE of OKC have already had almost 7 inches of rain.

With occasional rumble of thunder, the western back side of tonight's rain is finally making it through Stillwater.

18. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Got the 4" I needed to fill my pond at Woodford. Haven't made it up to the pond to see if I'm over the spillway(s) but the creek is out of the banks. Not the worst flooding I've seen here though.

What a dud at least for the metro, 2-4 inches....................pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by Achilleslastand View Post
    What a dud at least for the metro, 2-4 inches....................pfft.
    I got enough water to help the fertilizer on my new yard. No hail damage, no tornado, no flood. I'm good.

Quote Originally Posted by NikonNurse View Post
    I got enough water to help the fertilizer on my new yard. No hail damage, no tornado, no flood. I'm good.
    Me too. Got my back yard fertilized, gave it a basic watering, then we got more overnight rainfall, had a day off, then more rainfall...all but ideal. My backyard is in terrible shape this year, so hopefully this will give it a kickstart. Now I've just got to figure out how to get my tomato plants to start setting tomatoes instead of just blossoms that don't do anything LOL

22. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

And this evening was just a gem. Wow.

What a lovely weekend, but of course the armchair forecasters are already hyping up this coming up Friday as the next big one. We're so so far out though.

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    What a lovely weekend, but of course the armchair forecasters are already hyping up this coming up Friday as the next big one. We're so so far out though.
    I haven't seen that. News9 was talking about a possible severe setup over Memorial Day weekend however. It is still so far out though. Statistically, our chances of having a high-end outbreak should start diminishing. While technically severe season in Oklahoma lasts until the middle of June, usually it seems like the highest threats start to move north. There are always oddball late-season outbreaks like 5/31/13 and 6/13/98, but hopefully we are past peak for this year.

This year has been weird and out of phase with normal years, so I could easily see severe storm season being held over until the end of June or maybe July.

Thread Information