Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

You got the formation that was just out of my picture to the left. The towers I got lasted only about 10 minutes or so. By the time I got down to the NW Highway they had become much smaller!

Isn't June traditionally our rainiest month? Which is crazy I always think about April/May being wetter than June.

3. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    Isn't June traditionally our rainiest month? Which is crazy I always think about April/May being wetter than June.
    May is typically the wettest month followed by June,

Thanks, tfvc.org!

Well it looks like any hope of this week being of the higher end severe weather event is failing us and it is looking more like a dud now. Only hope is that hopefully Thursday will bring us some good stuff. This has really turned out to be a boring spring so far weather wise.

Blog Entries

Boring is fine with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby821 View Post
    Well it looks like any hope of this week being of the higher end severe weather event is failing us and it is looking more like a dud now. Only hope is that hopefully Thursday will bring us some good stuff. This has really turned out to be a boring spring so far weather wise.
    Well, would it be considered exciting if your house were in the line of fire? Otherwise, I am ok with boring.

We lost our house and everything we owned in the May 3, 1999 tornado. I vote boring every year.

Bring on boring!

Quote Originally Posted by John1744 View Post
    You are correct. June is the rainiest month in Oklahoma on average.

Bring on the dud. Seriously. I don't want my car looking like a windowless golf ball or my house looking like someone with too many artillery shells got bored.

Besides the lower tornado count, this season hasn't really been that quiet. There has been lots of flooding and a couple of hail and wind events.

This week and early next week at the very least looks like more of the same.

As of this morning Channel 4 predicting 3 inches of rain in central Oklahoma this week.

SPC continues to focus on tomorrow and Thursday as the highest probabilities for severe weather this week.

Western Oklahoma is in an Enhanced region that extends northward through central/western Kansas, and expectation persists that storms will fire in advance of the dryline in west Texas tomorrow afternoon/evening and move NE into western Oklahoma and into Kansas. The discussion does tend to emphasis the hail/wind thread, but certainly does not eliminate the tornado risk.

Central OK is in a 15% region for Thursday, although the setup then is not as clear as tomorrow's, due to some uncertainties regarding moisture availability in advance of the dryline. It sounds like one of those scenarios that if something does get enough fuel to fire up on Thursday, it'll get strong pretty readily.

Friday's setup is structurally similar, but the dryline is forecast not to be as sharp and the low not as strong, mitigating the opportunity for larger storm development as things stand now.

Flooding will most likely be the headliner this week. I already have to replace my living room floor because of last weeks heavy rains.

16. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Bring on boring!
    Amen, brother!

I think we can all agree that nobody wants anyone hurt physically or financially but I can understand the desire for some interesting weather.

After not really experiencing weather of any sort for most of the 25 years I spent in California, I really love the thunderstorms and the winter weather. The last two winters here have been very non eventful.

But I have to say my poor dogs absolutely hate the loud thunder. My older dog in particular crawls into my lap and shakes and it's both sweet and sad. And she weights 80 pounds!

If everyday could be like this past weekend, I'd be happy as a clam.

19. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think we can all agree that nobody wants anyone hurt physically or financially but I can understand the desire for some interesting weather.

After not really experiencing weather of any sort for most of the 25 years I spent in California, I really love the thunderstorms and the winter weather. The last two winters here have been very non eventful.

But I have to say my poor dogs absolutely hate the loud thunder. My older dog in particular crawls into my lap and shakes and it's both sweet and sad. And she weights 80 pounds!
    Oh sure, a change in the weather is almost always welcome (and interesting)--having lived in both SoCal and Florida, I can attest I do enjoy the change-ups!

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    if everyday could be like this past weekend, i'd be happy as a clam.
    amen!

Quote Originally Posted by acumpton View Post
    If everyday could be like this past weekend, I'd be happy as a clam.
    And thirsty as a Camel.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Oh sure, a change in the weather is almost always welcome (and interesting)--having lived in both SoCal and Florida, I can attest I do enjoy the change-ups!
    This sounds so lame but perhaps you can relate... The monotonous weather was actually depressing to me.

I remember going months without even seeing a cloud, let alone having any real change.

And with the recent drought, even the winters offered little in the way of rain or anything else.

I love the rain in particular but would also like to see more snow in the coming years.

23. Default Re: General Weather Discussion - May 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This sounds so lame but perhaps you can relate... The monotonous weather was actually depressing to me.

I remember going months without even seeing a cloud, let alone having any real change.

And with the recent drought, even the winters offered little in the way of rain or anything else.

I love the rain in particular but would also like to see more snow in the coming years.
    I was never really depressed about it, but I love four distinct (albeit mild here) seasons and we have it in OKC! I love that we never have days and days of cold and snow, but that we can get a cold blast and a snow every once in a while. And when that first cool air of the fall comes in around late September, the change is always welcome after a long, hot, dry couple of months in July and August. It's just nice to have something different to let you know you are progressing through a year! SoCal was really boring, and Florida was too, although in FL when the heat finally breaks in December and then the daily thunderstorms return around Memorial Day it was always fun...and about the only change you got down there!

I guess I have never understood the mindset of liking the crazy, destructive Oklahoma weather when it occurs so close to home. Not that it it's a bad thing, it's just not something I can wrap my mind around. I understand the chasers who drive out to the middle of nowhere to storm spot, but I dread these storms going into populated areas like what happened on May 20 and May 31, 2013. Different strokes for different folks though. When you spend your entire life in Oklahoma and are used to the crazy weather, I guess that weather in other parts of the country can feel boring in comparison.

Will do a more detailed update tomorrow. But it looks like supercells will develop across the TX PH and and SW OK and move north and east. Large hail will be primary threat out here along the dryline. Then as night falls, the storms will likely evolve into a cluster or line and pose a damaging wind threat to C OK.

Thread Information