Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Target

Default Re: Target

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    I recall the original department store in the building was something like Arlan's. The front had many entrances and all glass IIRC. I also think the north end always had a separate business until Target took over the space on the remodel.
    i think you're right about arlan's... the target at sw 44th and western had a similar history.

Yes, it was definitely an Arlan's which was built in the '60s along with Founders Fair on the west side of May just north of NW Expressway.

3. Default Re: Target

So were most of the old Target's an Arlan's? The old SW 44th and MWC ones were mirrors of each other. Westlake Hardware on one end. What looked like an auto shop that was closed in. etc.

Arlan's predates my world, or at least when i was old enough to pay attention. So Target in MWC was like that as long as I could remember back to the mid 80's.

Looks like they are wrapping up the remodel at NW Expressway and May.

These are the new checkout lanes and you can see in the background they have started work on the food court area. No self-checkout yet but the cashier said they are coming.

I hope that they're doing something with that flooring other than just polishing it

The Target at NW Expressway and May is wrapping up its renovation.

The self check-out lanes are now open and most of the work is complete. They have removed the majority of the shipping containers and are reopening sections of the parking lot.

A manager told me they are shutting work down until after the holidays. After the first of the year they will finish up.

Yes, the floors are so ugly. I guess management likes the lower maintenance costs and the fact the floor will never need to be replaced. Why spend anything on new floor covering when you don't have to?

It looks the same way at the east side Stillwater Wal-Mart. At least, so far, they haven't removed the good looking wooden floors in the clothing section. At least the newer west side Walmart has better looking solid floors from being consistently coppery brown. But, darn, they took out the wooden floors in the clothing section making it look far worse and stupid.

I don't see why Target should have to copy after Wal-Mart, assuming those bare floors will remain.

The floors are what I hate as well and keep hoping that is just the final project but they are so polished it seems they are staying

I would be shocked if those floors are the final product. Not fortune 500 quality at all imo

I noticed yesterday they have removed all but one container from the huge parking lot facing May (one remains for some reason).

But there are still two dozen containers that were moved to the north of the store. They now sit in a parking area that was rarely used.

Other than possibly tiling the areas that are now polished concrete, the only thing I know that hasn't been completed is the food court area. The remaining work will restart after the holidays.

11. Default Re: Target

Quote Originally Posted by April in the Plaza View Post
    I would be shocked if those floors are the final product. Not fortune 500 quality at all imo
    Amen to that. That whole polished concrete look only works when you have fresh concrete that is smooth and doesn't have a ton of unsightly seams. Just that snippet of the area at the food court shows that this is not a good candidate. It looks exactly like it is, tile pulled up and an attempt to go cheap....that didn't work out.

I actually like the contemporary look of polished concrete. I did it all throughout my house.

They have pretty much completed the renovation.

The food court area:

It is so nice! I spent an hour wandering around there Sunday. Stellar renovation.

The self-checkout lanes are a godsend to someone like me who usually only buys 1-3 items.

It's all really, really well-done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
    The floors are what I hate as well and keep hoping that is just the final project but they are so polished it seems they are staying
    If it's like Wal-Mart, I bet the concrete floors in newer Targets built in the last 10 years look much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The self-checkout lanes are a godsend to someone like me who usually only buys 1-3 items.
    if they would have more than two cahiers open, you would not have a problem.

The Target at NW Expressway and Rockwell is set to get the bigger makeover treatment.

I suspect they will start work after the holidays.

I needed some LaCroix the other day and used their curbside delivery - it was awesome! I know my wife doesn't like to use this for groceries, but it sure beats walking through the parking lot to the back of the store. We tried Walmart during COVID - how do they compare?

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    I needed some LaCroix the other day and used their curbside delivery - it was awesome! I know my wife doesn't like to use this for groceries, but it sure beats walking through the parking lot to the back of the store. We tried Walmart during COVID - how do they compare?
    I've used both for curbside. 6 of one, half dozen of the other. For me they are equivalent, just some different brands stocked by these opposing chains.

With the growth of OKC over the past decade, would we see another Target be built in the metro?

In the mid 2000's to early 2010's, Target was expanding aggressively in the market with new stores in Moore, Midwest City, Norman, and Yukon all coming within a few years of each other and renovating the existing stores. I know they closed the store across from Sears on SW44th, but given the changing landscape of retail, didn't know if there was an area prime for another location in the metro?

The Paycom Corridor along Memorial may be far enough away from Quail Springs and NW Expressway and new homes in that area are increasing population, and I could also see one being built for future growth in East Edmond somewhere along I-35 to go along with the WalMart, Sams's, Showbiz Cinema, and new Crest to also pull in from places like Stillwater, Guthrie, and Enid.

It appears Target Corporation is still opening new stores frequently in other locations: https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores

Maybe an urban location near downtown, if those housing projects finish.

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Maybe an urban location near downtown, if those housing projects finish.
    No, we aren't Las Vegas, but a store of this size, 20,000 square feet with essentials and fresh food, would be perfect for an urban location.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/busine...strip-2093293/ - Take a look at the video and images of the store layout.

Target has dropped their CityTarget and ExpressTarget branding, all their stores are just "Target" but these smaller stores follow those concepts.

I think the Quail Springs Super Target was one of the very last stores to keep the "Super" branding during their latest renovation. All other OKC Targets have shifted to just "target"

One upgrade would be to make all the existing metro Targets "Super Targets"

Thread Information