Widgets Magazine
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Target

Default Re: Target

At one time before the walmart was built....there was a rumor that Target would build SW OKC near 104th/I44, Either was strictly rumor or that ship has long sailed as haven't heard it in a long time. (I was told by a Target district office level employee)

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    With the growth of OKC over the past decade, would we see another Target be built in the metro?

In the mid 2000's to early 2010's, Target was expanding aggressively in the market with new stores in Moore, Midwest City, Norman, and Yukon all coming within a few years of each other and renovating the existing stores. I know they closed the store across from Sears on SW44th, but given the changing landscape of retail, didn't know if there was an area prime for another location in the metro?

The Paycom Corridor along Memorial may be far enough away from Quail Springs and NW Expressway and new homes in that area are increasing population, and I could also see one being built for future growth in East Edmond somewhere along I-35 to go along with the WalMart, Sams's, Showbiz Cinema, and new Crest to also pull in from places like Stillwater, Guthrie, and Enid.

It appears Target Corporation is still opening new stores frequently in other locations: https://corporate.target.com/about/l...pcoming-stores
    I used to be an insider for this type of information, and I have been out of the loop for a few years now. However, I would say the answer to this question is that Target building a new store in the OKC metro in the next 10 years is "very, very unlikely." We just are not growing fast enough to warrant it. Five years ago, Target's sales growth in the OKC metro was pretty lackluster compared to the markets where they were adding new stores. That trend has certainly reversed. The Quail Springs stores has benefitted greatly from the growth in the far NW part of the city, and it's one of the company's best performing stores now. However, it probably isn't enough to warrant an additional unit. Target would need to be reasonably sure an additional unit could do at least $40-50M+ of incremental annual sales, and that's just not likely at this time. At most, I could see a relocation of the Rockwell store to a few miles to the north. You'd get a "new" store out of that, but it would just replace an existing one.

As far as an urban, small format store goes - I think Stillwater would actually be a better location right now. Maybe downtown OKC in about 10 years.

All the alcoholic beverages have disappeared from the shelves at the NW 50th and May Target for about the last month. The shelves are covered with black tarps. Did Target lose their liquor license?

I have the same question as Mesta Parker, what happened to the rows of alcohol at 50th and May covered in tarp? It’s been like that for about three+ months and now it appears if they are finally putting in other items and repurposing that area. Anyone know what happened? All Target stores in OKC or just 50th and May? Just really strange to get rid of all alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Blue Sky View Post
    I have the same question as Mesta Parker, what happened to the rows of alcohol at 50th and May covered in tarp? It’s been like that for about three+ months and now it appears if they are finally putting in other items and repurposing that area. Anyone know what happened? All Target stores in OKC or just 50th and May? Just really strange to get rid of all alcohol.
    I can say for certain that the store on Memorial and Penn and NW Expressway and MacArthur both have their wine/beer selections, I have wondered about 50th and May though.

Apparently they've had high theft and low sales at that location and decided it wasn't worth renewing their license

I would be shocked if theft was so bad at that particular Target that the response would be to remove all the alcohol and not get the license renewed. You never know I guess, but that seems a stretch to me. That whole area is nice and hardly a high crime area. But…who knows.

Regarding theft, it's darn hard to steal a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer.

They don't carry small bottles of alcohol in any form. Just seems to be an odd explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Regarding theft, it's darn hard to steal a bottle of wine or a six-pack of beer.

They don't carry small bottles of alcohol in any form. Just seems to be an odd explanation.
    But, you make it out of the store, it is corporate policy to not chase down thrives (liability issue).

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Apparently they've had high theft and low sales at that location and decided it wasn't worth renewing their license
    Wonder if they got caught selling to a minor?

i have been loving all of the stories here lately about how Best Buy has been successful in beating theft, by just having more people to work the floor.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/24/busin...ion/index.html

At Pep Boys a few years ago we just smothered them with customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    i have been loving all of the stories here lately about how Best Buy has been successful in beating theft, by just having more people to work the floor.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/24/busin...ion/index.html
    The problem is it makes brick-and-mortar stores even less competitive due to their overhead.

Sam's and Costco have a good model IMO.

14. Default Re: Target

I do a lot of Amazon shopping, but for me personally, online will never replace my ability to walk around and see and touch items like clothing, go try them on, and instantly switch sizes or decide against them. There's something to be said still for being able to put some items in your hands and feel the fabric. Lord knows Amazon is full of cheap Chinese fake brands for all kinds of junk these days. The marketplace has really been reduced in quality over the last 5 years, same goes for Walmart's marketplace that sells mostly not walmart crap.

Now if you send me a coupon for something that i already know the size i want, like jeans, I'll get that online if you ship it to me for free. For most men's wear, this is pretty easy. But sometimes the difference between a M and an L or M and a S depending on what you're getting, can be a big difference in if it fits or not. I don't want to order both online and always have to take one back, or take 2 weeks to get the right one just because i didn't want to leave my house to shop.

Maurice's (among others) has a good option that melds the two. You can go in to the store and order items if they don't have your size and have them delivered to the store for free. You can then go try it on and either give it back to them as a return, or walk out with it because you've already paid for it (they charge when it ships). I like that when I'm buying a gift for someone so I'm not paying shipping, but I can still keep the very noticeable label on the box from giving it away at home. I know my wife would immediately know it was something for her lol.

15. Default Re: Target

The problem is it makes brick-and-mortar stores even less competitive due to their overhead.

Sam's and Costco have a good model IMO.
    Costco did announce they had an increase in "shrink" (stealing) but they said it was due to the new self checkout system that they solved by adding a picture on the Costco membership and 2 people to watch the self-checkout area. The one in Moore always seems to have a couple people watching it and helping customers. Jeez, I love Costco.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Costco did announce they had an increase in "shrink" (stealing) but they said it was due to the new self checkout system that they solved by adding a picture on the Costco membership and 2 people to watch the self-checkout area. The one in Moore always seems to have a couple people watching it and helping customers. Jeez, I love Costco.
    They also check your receipt on the way out, as does Sam's.

They also check your receipt on the way out, as does Sam's.
    That's not really possible at other stores though. Since Sam's and Costco are clubs, it's in the agreement that they check your receipt when you leave. By being a member, you've agreed to that. At any other store that's not so. Once the transaction has happened, transfer of ownership has occurred even if you're still in the store.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    That's not really possible at other stores though. Since Sam's and Costco are clubs, it's in the agreement that they check your receipt when you leave. By being a member, you've agreed to that. At any other store that's not so. Once the transaction has happened, transfer of ownership has occurred even if you're still in the store.
    That's not at all the way the law works... Walmart and Best Buy have done it and I'm sure others have done it as well. Technically, you could refuse and they can't force you, but they can retain you if they suspect you are shoplifting.

On top of that, most states -- including Oklahoma -- have a Shopkeeper's Privilege law:

there are 3 basic components to the shopkeeper’s privilege: (1) a reasonable belief that a person has stolen or is attempting to steal; (2) detention for a reasonable time; and (3) detention in a reasonable manner.
    https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/c...he-hassle.html

That's not at all the way the law works... Walmart and Best Buy have done it and I'm sure others have done it as well. Technically, you could refuse and they can't force you, but they can retain you if they suspect you are shoplifting.

On top of that, most states -- including Oklahoma -- have a Shopkeeper's Privilege law:

https://www.lawyers.com/legal-info/c...he-hassle.html
    almost all big box stores have express policy's against ANY physical act against any customer or suspected shoplifter .. the rightly are scared of getting sued .. because as stated in your link they have to have a reasonable suspicion of shoplifting for shopkeepers privilege to apply and refusing to show a receipt is not reasonable suspicion

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    almost all big box stores have express policy's against ANY physical act against any customer or suspected shoplifter .. the rightly are scared of getting sued .. because as stated in your link they have to have a reasonable suspicion of shoplifting for shopkeepers privilege to apply and refusing to show a receipt is not reasonable suspicion
    The point is, lots of stores ask you to show your receipt.

That in itself is not a gray legal area.

Serious question, could we see a store like Target move to a membership model like Costco or Sams?

Costco makes nearly all their profit on memberships alone, and the membership mentality builds brand loyalty.

Would it reduce theft, while at the same time give Target a guaranteed revenue stream? The membership model is taking over everywhere else from streaming services to car washes.

Serious question, could we see a store like Target move to a membership model like Costco or Sams?

Costco makes nearly all their profit on memberships alone, and the membership mentality builds brand loyalty.

Would it reduce theft, while at the same time give Target a guaranteed revenue stream? The membership model is taking over everywhere else from streaming services to car washes.
    No. If they went that route, it would be through a new store venture (like Sam's Club to Wal-Mart, for example). Target is a department store, not a bulk grocery store. I don't see them changing industries and losing a lot of their goodwill.

The point is, lots of stores ask you to show your receipt.

That in itself is not a gray legal area.
    Nor is it a gray legal area to decline the request and keep walking. Imo a lot of this problem in Wal Mart or Target is the self check out. This "feature" needs to be evaluated weighing employee savings against shrinkage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Nor is it a gray legal area to decline the request and keep walking. Imo a lot of this problem in Wal Mart or Target is the self check out. This "feature" needs to be evaluated weighing employee savings against shrinkage.
    People stole before self checkouts. A lot of the self checkouts "scream" at you if you don't set your item just right in the bag or forget to scan something.

I think theft is up currently because of all of the various videos online showing people waking into stores, grabbing what they want, and walking out without repercussions. They know that store employees can't/are trained not to be confrontational. Until that changes, through private security or similar, theft percentages I think will remain or grow from the current levels.

Target and Walmart probably like the drive up option as a method to reduce theft, but the people using that feature probably weren't the ones stealing in the first place.

25. Default Re: Target

People stole before self checkouts. A lot of the self checkouts "scream" at you if you don't set your item just right in the bag or forget to scan something.

I think theft is up currently because of all of the various videos online showing people waking into stores, grabbing what they want, and walking out without repercussions. They know that store employees can't/are trained not to be confrontational. Until that changes, through private security or similar, theft percentages I think will remain or grow from the current levels.

Target and Walmart probably like the drive up option as a method to reduce theft, but the people using that feature probably weren't the ones stealing in the first place.
    Self check does have loss- countless stories about people ringing up half of their items (Walmart neighborhood markets don't even need you to place in bagging at all), but the majority of the theft is like you said- people just walking out. I have a friend in LP at the highest volume Target in the metro. The amount of grab and walk/runs in over the top. They are trained not to leave the store in a chase because the danger increases as you cross the store line. Every place that I managed was prevention over apprehension, as our life was not worth the merchandise. I can say in all honesty that I broke that rule numerous times because unfortunately you do take the theft personal.

Thread Information