Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Target

Default Re: Target

Quote Originally Posted by scottk View Post
    TARGET and their planogram team are masters at item placement and theming. It's one of the reasons people tend to enjoy the overall shopping experience more at Target compared to other retailers....and also tend to spend more money than originally anticipated.
    There's a great Planet Money podcast about Target and their use of shopper data, including the example of sending a mailer to a customer with coupons for baby onesies and diapers. Customer was 15, Dad calls Target service line in a huff to complain and, long story short? 15 yr old was indeed pregnant. It's a great listen.

There must be at least 50 storage containers at the 50th & May location.

They are deep into the renovation and even at close to 10PM, they were working away. I suspect they are doing a lot of the work overnight.

I noticed the other day that Target is carrying Levi's (actual Levi brand not just the Denizen) and has a Disney Store section. It seems like with these remodels they're trying to be more higher end.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I noticed the other day that Target is carrying Levi's (actual Levi brand not just the Denizen) and has a Disney Store section. It seems like with these remodels they're trying to be more higher end.
    LOL, never thought I'd see Levi's jeans equated to "higher end"...

Lol I use the term loosely, but still it's a lot better quality than some of their Goodfellow products

New talk sign near may went up yesterday.

I’ve been meaning to share this and just now thought about it, they opened an “express” target across the street from my apartment in Hollywood and it is really nifty for quick shopping. It’s a fraction of the size of even a WM Neighborhood Market and it’s two stories. Once all the proposed residential is built in downtown I can’t for the life of me understand why a target like that wouldn’t be able to survive.

And there's one in Preston Center in Dallas but it's just one story. 100% self checkout.

This one has staffed check out at both the first and second floors. Fairly narrow store.

Target
    (213) 588-7106
    https://goo.gl/maps/mrm9mQ7bTqmzJXvx6

11. Default Re: Target

I went to a two-story one in San Deigo years ago. First time i ever saw a cart escalator, which was pretty dang cool.

Blog Entries

Went to a Target at Lincoln Center Manhattan last week. Was 2 floors all in the basement levels, I’d guess a total of about 15-20,000 sqft total.

The NW Ex / May location is near the completion of its renovation. I'm sure they'll want to wrap up before the holidays.

The food court area still needs to be done and they have yet to change out all the checkout lanes and add the self-checkout, but most the departments are now redone as have the restrooms.

14. Default Re: Target

It may be just me, but I don't understand the reasoning behind why Target loves to put their entrances on one end of the store instead of the middle. The May store here isn't as bad, but not because they designed it that way, it's a consequence of the other store being on the North end and then Target taking it over. What was that, Office Depot? In a lot of the old Targets, it was Westlake/Ace.

Anyway, so WalMart has the two entrances so I get not wanting to have to staff two sets of entrances (Like Kohl's vs Pennys), but the location doesn't always make sense to me. If you're trying to make it easier for grocery folks, well in places like MWC, it's on the opposite end from grocery and that was a new build location (so they had the chance to do whatever they wanted). Moore is the exact same way, just flip-flopped from right to left.

To me, it means cars congregate on one end of the lot, and there's always one section of the store (usually seasonal) that's on the exact opposite end. Why not put the doors in the middle and make everything equidistant from the doors? Customer Service, Starbucks, etc. can still be right there next to the door, I mean you have the freedom to still design the rest of the space however you want.

Or am I totally alone in this?

^

Super Targets have two entrances/exits at both ends.

In other stores, I think they want you to walk all the way through the stores as it spurs impulse buys.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    It may be just me, but I don't understand the reasoning behind why Target loves to put their entrances on one end of the store instead of the middle. The May store here isn't as bad, but not because they designed it that way, it's a consequence of the other store being on the North end and then Target taking it over. What was that, Office Depot? In a lot of the old Targets, it was Westlake/Ace....
    Actually, Office Depot is a separate building, pretty sure the Target building was built all for Target.

Pretty sure Office Depot was actually connected to Target back in the 80s and maybe even 90s. Can’t remember when they built the stand-alone building to the east.

First aerial is 1990; second is relatively current:

i remember office depot being located at the north end of target back in 2004. google street view's oldest picture is from 2007 and has the current freestanding office depot.

Guess I was wrong, I didn't get to that part of town much back then, and then left OKC so must've missed out on the building of the new Office Depot and just always thought it was that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i remember office depot being located at the north end of target back in 2004. google street view's oldest picture is from 2007 and has the current freestanding office depot.
    I believe the area below was originally an Office Depot and then Target took that space over and OD built new to the east.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I believe the area below was originally an Office Depot and then Target took that space over and OD built new to the east.
    i was thinking the same thing. the county assessor's site has pics from 2005 that show remodeling in process. i bet that's when they took over the section that was formerly office depot.

i was hoping to see if that northern section was built later than the main structure, but didn't see any data on that in the record. the structure was originally built in 1969, which kind of surprised me.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Guess I was wrong, I didn't get to that part of town much back then, and then left OKC so must've missed out on the building of the new Office Depot and just always thought it was that way.
    can't believe that you didn't remember where a particular office supply store was nearly 20 years ago. we'll let it slip. this time. lol. : )

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    can't believe that you didn't remember where a particular office supply store was nearly 20 years ago. we'll let it slip. this time. lol. : )
    Ha, if it was around NW 63rd/May or 122nd/Penn from decades ago, I might, those were my old stomping grounds, but this area wasn't so much...

I recall the original department store in the building was something like Arlan's. The front had many entrances and all glass IIRC. I also think the north end always had a separate business until Target took over the space on the remodel.

Thread Information