Widgets Magazine

Thread: Lighthouse Fitness

Default Lighthouse Fitness

The big swim / workout complex at 3333 W. Hefner (just east of Lake Hefner Parkway) seems to have closed at the first of this year.

Anybody know if they ever re-opened or plan to do so?

Default Re: Lighthouse Fitness

I was there a couple of weeks ago watching a volleyball tourney and am getting ready to play in a sand volleyball league there. I would assume they re-opened.

I just called and they were open.

I wonder if they have new management.

Anybody have insight into the facilities?

Just wanting to know if they are relatively clean and maintained.

Blog Entries

I attended several basketball games there over the past few months. They were always open and the facilities were just okay. Clean enough, just older and looking kind of worn.

Thanks for the info.

I'm mainly interested in their pools so I may just try and do a day pass and check it out for myself.

If the new senior welness center was closer, I'd strongly prefer that. Really nice facilities and pool and since I'm over 50, I qualify.

I visited the indoor swim facilities at the Lighthouse a couple of years ago and would not return. To me the rooms were dark and the place looked run down. It was nothing like I envisioned.

The pool at OCCC was one of the city's best kept secrets. I swim at the YMCA now, and I too need to try the new wellness center.

Thanks for the feedback.

Lighthouse has an outdoor pool that is open during the summer months as well.

I strongly prefer to swim outside, even in crappy weather. But no such option in OK after summer months.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Lighthouse has an outdoor pool that is open during the summer months as well.

I strongly prefer to swim outside, even in crappy weather. But no such option in OK after summer months.
    You should also check out the Santa Fe club on 63rd and (wait for it) Santa Fe. They have an outdoor pool that I'm almost positive is set up for lap swimming for at least part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    You should also check out the Santa Fe club on 63rd and (wait for it) Santa Fe. They have an outdoor pool that I'm almost positive is set up for lap swimming for at least part of the day.
    Yes!

I saw that pop up on my search and had been in there a few years ago when it was under different management.

When I left OKC in the 80's, it was a big tennis facility and I actually won a tournament out there. But they have removed most the tennis in favor of basketball courts and other things.

Yes!

I saw that pop up on my search and had been in there a few years ago when it was under different management.

When I left OKC in the 80's, it was a big tennis facility and I actually won a tournament out there. But they have removed most the tennis in favor of basketball courts and other things.
    Yep - that's the one. I grew up playing tennis and (primarily) squash there in the early 90s and my dad played both there in the 80s and 90s - you may know him! It's now run by the Knights of Columbus and I have heard positive reviews of the pool since they took over. I found out its included in the BCBS discounted fitness program that someone mentioned on here a week or so ago so I plan to take advantage this summer.

It is indeed part of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield fitness program which I was very happy to learn about.

In fact, I joined the Y for now, as the whole thing is a screaming deal at $25 / month if you go the BCBS route. When you do, you actually have BCBS draw the money which I like because if there is ever a termination issue they will be the one you are dealing with, not some health club operator that are generally notorious about such things.

I decided to use the Y while I evaluate other options such as Lighthouse and Santa Fe. It was only $25 to start and $25 each month, so I decided to get going and can easily switch at any time, although I'd likely have to pay another small start-up fee.

BTW, the Knights of Columbus got this in trade from Chesapeake so Aubrey could acquire their land just north of 63rd and east of Classen. They had a pool there too and I went to a few parties at that facility.

12. Default Re: Lighthouse Fitness

Here are the senior fitness center rates set by OKC (this article is over a year old):
    http://newsok.com/article/5467248

Oklahoma City senior center deal sets membership rates, financial terms

by William Crum Published: December 17, 2015 12:00 AM CDT Updated: December 17, 2015 12:00 AM CDT

OKLAHOMA CITY - Memberships would begin at $30 per month at the first MAPS 3 senior health and wellness center, due to open in about a year in northwest Oklahoma City.

A sliding fee schedule taking into account seniors' income is included in the proposed operating agreement with Healthy Living & Fitness Inc., the nonprofit that will run the center.

Monthly fees would begin at $30 for individuals with household incomes of 200 percent or more of the federal poverty level. For someone living alone, 200 percent of the poverty level is $23,540 this year.

The poverty levels, or guidelines, are published annually by the Health and Human Services Department.

Those living on household incomes at or above the poverty level but under the 200 percent threshold would pay $15 per month. For those living below the poverty line, the fee would be $5.

Construction contractor W.L. McNatt & Co. began work in August on the 40,000-square-foot center.

The $9.2 million building at 11501 N Rockwell Ave. includes a gym, indoor fitness pool, space for socializing, and rooms for activities including crafts.

The design features a cafe, natural light and bright interior lighting. A curbless parking lot will minimize the risk of falls for seniors.

Downtown OKC: Read more about what's going on downtown.
    The center is to be open at least 65 hours each week, including at least four consecutive hours on one weekend day. Healthy Living's initial agreement with the city will be for five years.

Four senior health and wellness centers, each centered on pools offering low-impact aquatic athletics, are included among the projects financed by the 1-cent MAPS 3 sales tax.

The second center is expected to open in early 2017 adjacent to Capitol Hill High School in southwest Oklahoma City, run by NorthCare. Designs are nearing completion.

Plans are to open the third center in northeast Oklahoma City.

An activities list for the first center, reviewed Wednesday by the MAPS 3 senior health and wellness centers subcommittee, included:

• Yoga, water aerobics and walking clubs.

• Health screenings, cooking classes and stop-smoking classes.

• Book and card clubs, and computer and art classes.

Under terms of a 26-page operating agreement, Healthy Living would retain naming and sponsorship rights. It can rent the building for after-hours events and manage vending, catering and merchandising.

Healthy Living's proceeds must go back into the center for programs, operations, everyday maintenance and management expenses.

Oklahoma City is building the center and will lease it to Healthy Living through the Oklahoma City Public Property Authority. The city will be responsible for major maintenance.

The agreement with Healthy Living is expected to be finalized early next year.

13. Default Re: Lighthouse Fitness

Oklahoma City also has a free indoor pool available for everyone at Foster Community Center (NE 4th and Lincoln). I swim there several times a year.

For pictures:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Foste...56590511060206

https://okc.gov/departments/parks-re...s-and-swimming

Foster Indoor Program Pool - Open Year Round

614 NE 4th St., (405) 297-1424 (I would advise you to call first to see what the pool days & hours are and any age restrictions for the time you want to swim before going there to swim. - John)

The Foster Program Pool is open year-round for lessons, water exercise and other special programs. See our program roster or click on the Parks & Recreation calendar for individual class dates and times.

OSSO is opening a beach bar, 5/15. They will have volleyball and yard games. Not sure if there is still a gym there or not.

Northwest OKC LIghthouse Fitness

Press release that I kept forgetting to post:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    DECEMBER 5, 2019

OKLAHOMA CITY METRO LANDMARK BEING TRANSFORMED INTO PREMIER ATHLETIC CENTER

Oklahoma Athletic Center

OKLAHOMA CITY, OK – Ice Capital, along with its broker Skybridge Real Estate, announces the acquisition of the former Lighthouse Sports & Fitness Center, a 12-acre property, home to a 100,000 square foot facility located at 3333 W. Hefner Road in Oklahoma City. The facility has been renamed the Oklahoma Athletic Center (OAC) and is currently undergoing a multi-phase renovation.

Ice Capital’s ownership team, comprised of Oklahoma City based attorneys & businessmen, Blaine Dyer and Andrew Schroeder, have named Skybridge Construction as the construction partner for Phase I of the renovation. Phase I, to be completed on December 6, 2019, encompasses interior renovations to the 25,000 square foot athletic facility named Oklahoma Athletic Center Fitness & Performance.

Phase II of the renovation, commencing in January 2020, will include a complete remodel of the exterior façade and parking lot. A third expansion phase is planned for the first half of 2020, bringing more opportunity for partnerships with sports organizations and retail alike. Current partnerships and tenants include indoor & outdoor volleyball, basketball, swim, martial arts, futsal programs, physical therapy, cryotherapy, and IV therapy.

“Collectively we’re inspired by our own memories of youth sports at the Lighthouse and as a company we are excited about the opportunity to give a staple of the OKC community a second chance and a new life,” shared Ice Capital’s Blaine Dyer.

“It is our vision to make OAC a destination location where all members of the family can be engaged in various activities at the same time, creating a community environment with health and wellness as a priority” said OAC President Alex Aguilar.

Oklahoma Athletic Center Fitness & Performance

The new Oklahoma Athletic Center Fitness & Performance includes all new state-of-the-art fitness and cardio equipment, indoor turf, and a modernized floor plan that offers an experience to fit every need, ranging from personal and small group training, to group exercise classes, to strength and conditioning for athletes of all ages and levels.

Oklahoma Athletic Center Fitness & Performance is currently enrolling new members and will continue to remain open during the renovation process. The facility offers month-to-month memberships at a variety of levels, personal and group training, on-site kids club, and convenient hours. Learn more by visiting www.oacfitness.com.

Default Re: LIghthouse Fitness

Is this the same Blaine Dyer formerly associated with Lagoon Water Solutions?

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Yes, o/g attorney.

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Yes, also associated with this recent lawsuit:

https://www.oscn.net/dockets/GetCase...0&cmid=3869982

What was the Lighthouse Beach Bar is being converted to Pearl Beach Brew Pub; set to reopen in March.

Work has commenced; there is another location in Tulsa.

This is the Facebook page for OKC:

https://www.facebook.com/PearlBeachHefner

What was the Lighthouse Beach Bar is being converted to Pearl Beach Brew Pub; set to reopen in March.

Work has commenced; there is another location in Tulsa.

This is the Facebook page for OKC:

https://www.facebook.com/PearlBeachHefner
    As someone who plays in multiple sand volleyball leagues, this is awesome news. Not that the previous name and ownership did poorly, as it was a very well received spot (tons of people play every night). This will only add to it.

A buddy of mine in Tulsa who frequents the location went down to OKC today for the grand opening.

Quick history on tulsa location. It used to be the site of "willow family ales", but the brewmaster up and left the people who ran and owned the location. So they had to pivot and decided to run a beach volleyball hang out spot, and have been pretty successful!

Okc location Instagram is pearlbeachhefner.

Quote Originally Posted by formerly405Tulsan View Post
    A buddy of mine in Tulsa who frequents the location went down to OKC today for the grand opening.

Quick history on tulsa location. It used to be the site of "willow family ales", but the brewmaster up and left the people who ran and owned the location. So they had to pivot and decided to run a beach volleyball hang out spot, and have been pretty successful!

Okc location Instagram is pearlbeachhefner.
    Yeah I talked to one of the partners at the Tulsa location a few days back. They operate OSSO, which runs a bunch of the rec sports leagues in OKC and Tulsa, in conjunction with Pearl Beach. They’ve been running the courts behind the light house for a few years now and finally decided to rebrand to separate it from the light house and because the concept worked so well in Tulsa. I never went to the light house or the courts behind it but from what he said, sounds like it is a pretty substantial improvement. Excited to check it out next time I’m down there.

Thread Information