Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Full Moon

Blog Entries

Midtown Full Moon

Default Re: Full Moon - Midtown Multifamily from Rand Elliott

What stage of the process is this in? Speculation? Moving forward?

Here's an image from the video:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 1.01.06 PM.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	13757

While I think Rand's designs are not usually functional because he ignores context and builds his own art, I do commend him for his creativity. This building will look pretty cool and I love that he's fitting these units on such a small row of land. It just seems like a missed opportunity to have the walkway so thin that all residents can really do is stand there. There doesn't seem to be room for chairs or anything. In other words, he's created a shared social space that's not really designed with people in mind. But that's kind of his thing - design over function. Anyway, it's still pretty cool and unique.

Very cool!

10 lofts.

No planning docs or building permits have been filed as of yet.

Default Re: Full Moon

I suppose that would be classified as a "balcony"? Does this meet all of the appropriate Midtown balcony guidelines and restrictions? Maybe we should send it back to Rand with another architects rendition of what it should look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I suppose that would be classified as a "balcony"? Does this meet all of the appropriate Midtown balcony guidelines and restrictions? Maybe we should send it back to Rand with another architects rendition of what it should look like.
    That was Auto Alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    That was Auto Alley.
    Oh, I know. But I'm still never going to pass up an opportunity to pick on Rand.

The design shown is likely to be well outside the design guidelines and it will be interesting to see how the committee handles this.

Interesting that the video was removed. Wonder why...

I really do hope this gets built largely as is. This really could serve as a unique symbol of that part of Midtown.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Interesting that the video was removed. Wonder why...

I really do hope this gets built largely as is. This really could serve as a unique symbol of that part of Midtown.
    https://newsok.com/multimedia/video/...6001#gsc.tab=0

I love the design, as much crap as I give Rand. I'd love to see this go up as is.

Looks like the cat got out of the bag too quickly on this one....

Quote Originally Posted by Colbafone View Post
    I love the design, as much crap as I give Rand. I'd love to see this go up as is.
    This looks like a cool project. But after watching that video...let's just say I pray to God that I never end up cornered at a cocktail party having to talk to that guy.

"LET ME RECITE FOR YOU MY WORD PAINTINGS."

Kill me now.

Looks like a cigar guillotine.

Will be interesting to see it completed.

Curious as to the long term viability of that. If buildings are built on either side of it, you won't even be able to see the building.

i don't know if i'd like the window situation. you have one on the outside and one looking into the moon. and you would probably close the blinds on the latter rather frequently to prevent the other astronauts in the building from seeing your full moon!

You should really get credits. �� I tend to find local news here first, then newsok, the TLO.

The original video in this thread was from the Oklahoman's youtube site.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The original video in this thread was from the Oklahoman's youtube site.
    Ah. My apologies. But you do seem to be more on the ball on these things than them often.

Blog Entries

Full moon looks like a great project (in fill) ready to be developed. Rand Elliott thinks outside the box of architectural design.

As among many optimists on this board, my fear is that by the time they break ground & finish, we'll be lucky to have a HALF MOON if not a TOTAL LUNAR ECLIPSE.

Sure it looks cool, as does most of his work, but as mentioned already, will it be functional? No parking? Some of the 800-1000sf units are multilevel? And you know this won't be a cheap build so are rental rates going to be reasonable? As with the classen curve, residents are likely to thinklike the retailers there, they are less concerned with the "art" they reside in and more concerned functionality and price of rent.

Also mentioned above, it's going to be fun watching him fight anything that might get built east or west of it.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Sure it looks cool, as does most of his work, but as mentioned already, will it be functional? No parking? Some of the 800-1000sf units are multilevel? And you know this won't be a cheap build so are rental rates going to be reasonable? As with the classen curve, residents are likely to thinklike the retailers there, they are less concerned with the "art" they reside in and more concerned functionality and price of rent.

Also mentioned above, it's going to be fun watching him fight anything that might get built east or west of it.

This is another case of Rand ignoring the street and sidewalk and making his focus away from the street. I guarantee he will fight anything built ont he adjacent lots that disrupt the view of his artwork.

Hudson Park to the immediate west is already approved.

To the east is the Wesley retirement complex and their parking lot abuts this property.

I have been curious as to what the other side of the building looks like...

Thread Information