Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nonesuch

Midtown Nonesuch

I published this article in October but for some reason there is no thread on it.

Since this was published, they decided to not go into Main Street Arcade and will instead occupy 813 N. Hudson, which is the old Desmond Mason space directly south of Ludivine.

They have already started some work and should open this summer.

This is the most recent rendering:

http://www.okctalk.com/content.php?r...-Street-Arcade

Todd Woodruff tested and perfected the Waffle Champion dishes before establishing a wildly successful brick and mortar location in Midtown, where lines frequently wrap around the building.

Similarly, Woodruff paired with chef Colin Stringer formerly of the Nani dinner club to do occasional fixed-price dinners inside the Waffle Champion space, which also drew rave reviews.

Now, Woodruff and Stringer are preparing to open nonesuch in the Main Street Arcade at 629 W. Main as a permanent home to this tasting menu concept.

Nonesuch will be an intimate 1,500 square foot space at the far west end of the Arcade, facing the new 21c Museum Hotel. The main table will be u-shaped to encourage interaction of guests and chefs.

35 seats will be featured and patrons offered a combination of tasting menu and ala carte / bar snack type offerings along with beer and wine.

With a projected spring opening, hours will be Tuesday through Saturday 4 to 11PM.

Design is by Common Works Architects of Oklahoma City.

Woodruff has formed Day One Concepts, a management holding company for h Waffle Champion, Buttermilk Food Truck, Maples Barbecue Stand (coming soon to Midtown), and future ventures.

The current general manager at Waffle Champion, Derek Forari, will be promoted to Director of Operations to oversee the all the restaurants.

Revel 8, which currently operates a salon in the Packard Building in Midtown, will also be a tenant in the Main Street Arcade, with a men's grooming salon on one side of the lobby and a separate nail studio on the other.

Also, plans are in the works for a unique bar to be located to the east of nonesuch.

Main Street Arcade was built in 1936 and recently renovated by the Pivot Project group.

Default Re: Nonesuch

This restaurant moved to a spot directly south of Ludivine and is now well under construction.

HangryHippo Guest

Pete - any word on why they chose to not go into the Main St. Arcade?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Pete - any word on why they chose to not go into the Main St. Arcade?
    Could not come to terms on lease.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Could not come to terms on lease.
    Thanks for the response!

They are set to open on October 4th and their reservation system is now live.

Should be a super cool experience.

https://nonesuch.tocktix.com/

Just booked a reservation for 2 on October 7th. Looks cool, great date night idea.

Phenomenal. Could get a Michelin star. You won't like everything, but what you do like you'll LOVE. Great wine program.

Such a beautiful space, designed by Commonworks Architects and built by Larry Pickering:

Beautiful space. I've heard great things.

More of you guys need to check this place out. Its incredible.

I tried nonesuch out last night for my wife and my anniversary. I thought I had reservations for 6:00, but they were actually for 6:30 (my fault entirely; just forgot what timeslot I picked) and we ended up arriving about 45 minutes early in total. The guys at nonesuch were flowed with it and got us started early, which I greatly appreciated.

The food was incredible. There were only a couple of dishes that I think I would have ever actually ordered from a menu (some steak and the dessert) from a traditional restaurant, but that was, to my mind, the whole point: to get out of my comfort zone and try some dishes that have been personally crafted by professional chefs. The first dish I was served was a porridge dish that I absolutely would have immediately glazed over in a typical restaurant menu, but it turned out to be amazing.

As gopokes88 pointed out above, my wife and I did each have a dish that we didn't particularly care for. For me it was a soft scrambled egg with caviar. Seafood is my culinary weakness and it tasted like pure fish. I can cross off caviar off of my bucket list, though, so that's nice. My wife didn't like a dish with various items that had been pickled. I had to finish it off for her; personally I thought it was very surprising and interesting. It had a quail egg that, to me, almost tasted like a fruit candy? Completely unexpected. The pickled watermelon was also neat - watermelon with a bit of a tang.

Other than those two dishes, my wife and I could agree that everything was great. Here is the menu that we were served (they provide you with one to take home, which I thought was neat):

root vegetables, masa (the porridge I described earlier)
    mushroom, turnip (dumplings that my wife said was her favorite)
    squash, thyme, parsley (a veggie pasta dish that also included some seeds that were added a great smoky flavor and crunch)
    soft scramble, hackleback caviar, radish (the fishy dish)
    sunchoke, persimmon soup (I thought it kind of tasted like sunflower seeds; my wife disagreed, but we both enjoyed it)
    baguette, bokchoy kimchi, cultured butter, radish (really nice bread and butter)
    bison, raddichia, beurre blanc (a steak dish that was really good)
    pickles (the menus just lists it as pickles, but they were different items that had been pickled)
    chocolate, marshmallow, graham cracker (yep, they said their version of the s'more; they also poured a cream on it that the chef described as, and I agreed, the milk left over after you've eaten your Fruit Loops)
    sour patch, honey brittle, caramel bon bons (sort of an after dinner candy tray)

Again, the whole experience was amazing and the food was incredible. If you're unsure, I think you'll end up being surprised at what you end up liking.

13. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkasa View Post
    sunchoke, persimmon soup (I thought it kind of tasted like sunflower seeds; my wife disagreed, but we both enjoyed it)
    Now that sounds interesting. We have sunchokes and persimmons growing on our 40 acres in the Arbuckles that we harvest. Never thought about putting them together in soup.

14. Default Re: Nonesuch

Any chance you have a refined enough palette to know if this recipe is similar to what you were served?

1 cup Yellow onions, small dice
    6 tbl butter
    1 cup leeks, white only small dice
    2 qts sunchokes, peeled, uniform cut
    2 qt chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 thyme sprigs
    1 ea bay leaf
    2 clove garlic
    kosher salt

sweat onion and leeks in the butter until tender. season with salt and add garlic. Sauté 1 min
    add the sunchokes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil simmer till sunchokes are tender
    puree and pass through strainer
    add cream and buttermilk, adjust seasoning and serve
    Garnish with persimmon and herbs

More of you guys need to check this place out. Its incredible.

I tried nonesuch out last night for my wife and my anniversary. I thought I had reservations for 6:00, but they were actually for 6:30 (my fault entirely; just forgot what timeslot I picked) and we ended up arriving about 45 minutes early in total. The guys at nonesuch were flowed with it and got us started early, which I greatly appreciated.

The food was incredible. There were only a couple of dishes that I think I would have ever actually ordered from a menu (some steak and the dessert) from a traditional restaurant, but that was, to my mind, the whole point: to get out of my comfort zone and try some dishes that have been personally crafted by professional chefs. The first dish I was served was a porridge dish that I absolutely would have immediately glazed over in a typical restaurant menu, but it turned out to be amazing.

As gopokes88 pointed out above, my wife and I did each have a dish that we didn't particularly care for. For me it was a soft scrambled egg with caviar. Seafood is my culinary weakness and it tasted like pure fish. I can cross off caviar off of my bucket list, though, so that's nice. My wife didn't like a dish with various items that had been pickled. I had to finish it off for her; personally I thought it was very surprising and interesting. It had a quail egg that, to me, almost tasted like a fruit candy? Completely unexpected. The pickled watermelon was also neat - watermelon with a bit of a tang.

Other than those two dishes, my wife and I could agree that everything was great. Here is the menu that we were served (they provide you with one to take home, which I thought was neat):

root vegetables, masa (the porridge I described earlier)
    mushroom, turnip (dumplings that my wife said was her favorite)
    squash, thyme, parsley (a veggie pasta dish that also included some seeds that were added a great smoky flavor and crunch)
    soft scramble, hackleback caviar, radish (the fishy dish)
    baguette, bokchoy kimchi, cultured butter, radish (really nice bread and butter)
    bison, raddichia, beurre blanc (a steak dish that was really good)
    pickles (the menus just lists it as pickles, but they were different items that had been pickled)
    chocolate, marshmallow, graham cracker (yep, they said their version of the s'more; they also poured a cream on it that the chef described as, and I agreed, the milk left over after you've eaten your Fruit Loops)
    sour patch, honey brittle, caramel bon bons (sort of an after dinner candy tray)

Again, the whole experience was amazing and the food was incredible. If you're unsure, I think you'll end up being surprised at what you end up liking.
    That’s almost a completely different menu than what we had, in only 6 weeks. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Any chance you have a refined enough palette to know if this recipe is similar to what you were served?

1 cup Yellow onions, small dice
    6 tbl butter
    1 cup leeks, white only small dice
    2 qts sunchokes, peeled, uniform cut
    2 qt chicken stock
    1 cup heavy cream
    3 thyme sprigs
    1 ea bay leaf
    2 clove garlic
    kosher salt

sweat onion and leeks in the butter until tender. season with salt and add garlic. Sauté 1 min
    add the sunchokes and chicken stock. Bring to a boil simmer till sunchokes are tender
    puree and pass through strainer
    add cream and buttermilk, adjust seasoning and serve
    Garnish with persimmon and herbs

They actually described what all was in the dish before serving it. I don't recall everything, but I believe it was much simpler than that.

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88
    That’s almost a completely different menu than what we had, in only 6 weeks. Crazy.
    A couple of the dishes they said they were serving for the first time that night (and, as the first couple there to dine last night, the dishes were served first to us, which was neat).

They actually described what all was in the dish before serving it. I don't recall everything, but I believe it was much simpler than that.

A couple of the dishes they said they were serving for the first time that night (and, as the first couple there to dine last night, the dishes were served first to us, which was neat).
    I saw them post about the recipe for the soup dumplings yesterday and they sounded really good. I need to find some time to get there soon. We went to Nani when they were open and it was a great experience so I can imagine this is even better.

This place is amazing and worthy of a Michelin star. If Acadia in Chicago can earn two (or is it three now?), nonesuch deserves just as much. Thoroughly enjoyable experience. Have only gone once but it'll be in our rotation as they change their menu frequently. Go with the wine pairings too - they were all excellent and the bartenders were generous with refills. I only hope there are enough folks here with an appreciation for this type of restaurant that they can stay in business.

Made list of Top 50 New Restaurants by Bon Appetit:

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/top...staurants-2018

Well deserved.

Not only were they in the top 50 new restaurants as Pete mentioned above, Bon Appetit just named Nonesuch the number one new restaurant in America - fantastic for them and fantastic for the city!

http://projects.bonappetit.com/hot10/p/2

Quote Originally Posted by Timshel View Post
    Not only were they in the top 50 new restaurants as Pete mentioned above, Bon Appetit just named Nonesuch the number one new restaurant in America - fantastic for them and fantastic for the city!

http://projects.bonappetit.com/hot10/p/2
    Now THAT is Just AWESOME! This story needs to be shared in and out of the City

I love this list they put together for OKC as part of their first-place piece. So happy to see Super Cao Nguyen and Pho Cuong getting national love: https://www.bonappetit.com/gallery/o...guide-nonesuch

^^^ that article is great. This is going to bring a lot of new people into the city, great news.

The video from that article is really cool too. Great to see anyone so dedicated to their craft. Congrats to them and I hope this leads to more success. It sounds like they could use some more customers.

Thread Information