Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Nonesuch

1. Default Re: Nonesuch

I'm not debating whether the small location is an asset, I think it is. But I think they could be better located.

Such destination restaurants are typically located in the best area of town or the showcase; in my opinion, in OKC it's in the CBD. Also, CBD spaces tend to naturally be small so there's a fit. Finally, you can't get more urban than the CBD. Put them all together along with the national praise they've gotten and this is why I made the comment/suggestion.

Now I'd like to know why GoPokes (and possibly others) think such a move would be suicide?
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Blog Entries

Default Re: Nonesuch

Unfortunately the CBD is an food desert at night, currently. You've got oases like the Manhattan and Kitchen 324 and Mahogany and a few others, but at this time, it would definitely be problematic to move. Where even would be good, notionally? Just trying to think of places and nothing jumps out at me save maybe one of the BOKPP parking garage retail spaces, but that area is no better food desert wise.

That said, in 3-4 years if we're having this conversation, then a revamped Park Avenue with First National Arcade spaces opening to the street would be great for this place. In theory that area picks up steam by then. That also said, the area it's currently at could be quite good in 3-4 years with all the things happening on that strip (6th to 10th) of Hudson with more coming it seems.

Because midtown and the cbd aren’t even in the same league when it comes to good places to eat and vibrant locations.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    This feels like a concept in which the small size is an asset. I think expanding it too much might ruin the experience.
    Would 1000%. I like how the only people suggesting they should move or expand haven’t been there. I have. Several times. It would be the dumbest possible thing they could do.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I think there are expansion options in their current space, it doesn't seem like the space to the south has much going on it it? if so, no reason to ever move (don't say parking).
    They lease the space to the south, they use it as central office space for all of their restaurants.

Blog Entries

Why in the world do so many think bigger is better?

So, so happy for them. We tried it out last year and have been meaning to make it back ever since. I guess it's going to be a lot harder now, lol. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it - they even came up with a vegetarian menu for her. Not sure if they still do that now, but it was incredible. We've been to a few other "starred" places (like Acadia in Chicago), and nonesuch was objectively better in every way.

And no they do not need to move or expand, nor should they!

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    I also cringe a bit when most national stories start by describing low expectations, but of course the flip side is that people continue to be surprised or even shocked by how great OKC is when they actually come here. In this case probably most people reading can identify with the writer in having no/low expectations, and then they go along for the surprising culinary journey.

I think right now the best thing we can hope for without strong national/international brand (outside of the obligatory cowboy/Indian/tornado/bombing and now - fortunately - Thunder) is that everyone who comes here for the first time leaves and tells tons of people "you wouldn't believe how cool Oklahoma City is..." Because right now, MOST people wouldn't.
    I mean, even the big tourism ad by the baggage carousel at KOKC says "We've been expecting you, but were you expecting this?". The whole thing of expectations and "look how much better we are than what the rest of the country has come to think of us as" is kinda our shtick at this point, no?

Will be interesting to see if this new press changes their hours of operation.

4 days a week for 3.5 hours a day and 10 course meals puts a cap at between 125 and 150 guests/week, no?

A number of Michelin spots around the world are purposefully small (30 seats or smaller). If the demand grows they could expand the days they're open or offer a lunch serving. But for now, I think it's best to keep it as it is... It allows them to build on the hype and properly prepare to handle the demand.

Food & Wine article on the expanding restaurant scenes in Tulsa and OKC that mentions Nonesuch: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/tul...acemaker-opens

Oklahoma, in general, has found an unexpected spotlight this year, with Bon Appetit naming Nonesuch (in Oklahoma City) as their 2018 best new restaurant. This year, we revisited Oklahoma City's booming dining and cocktail scene, which is getting almost impossible to keep up with.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Food & Wine article on the expanding restaurant scenes in Tulsa and OKC that mentions Nonesuch: https://www.foodandwine.com/news/tul...acemaker-opens
    Went to the Gilcrease to see the T. C. Cannon show, and used Food & Wine Sept 2017 where to eat in Tulsa, and tried Lone Wolf. Absolutely one of the worst meals ever. The Calamari was over breaded squid donuts covered, and I mean completely, by thick sweet and sour sauce. The Kim chi side order was cabbage dressed in vinegar. Compare that to the excellent Calamari at Pizza Gusto, which is lightly breaded and aioli on the side, and real Kim chi from super Cao Nguyen. But I'm looking forward to trying Peacemaker seafood from Saint Louis.

Very excited at all the positive attention they're getting. Thanks for posting.

15. Default Re: Nonesuch

Finally got to try this place last night..... Amazing isn't nearly a strong enough adjective to describe what they are doing here.

I even enjoyed the chicken liver mousse and I detest chicken livers.... The quail I was served was possibly the moistest piece of quail I have ever eaten if not the moistest piece of fowl I have ever eaten and I've made some pretty moist birds myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9082[1].JPG 
Views:	166 
Size:	3.01 MB 
ID:	15472 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9071[1].JPG 
Views:	152 
Size:	2.84 MB 
ID:	15473

Name:	IMG_9070[1].JPG 
Views:	163 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	15474 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9061[1].JPG 
Views:	116 
Size:	2.77 MB 
ID:	15475

Name:	IMG_9063[1].JPG 
Views:	130 
Size:	2.83 MB 
ID:	15476 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9066[1].JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	2.87 MB 
ID:	15477

Name:	IMG_9055[1].JPG 
Views:	136 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	15478 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9050[1].JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	1.81 MB 
ID:	15479

Name:	IMG_9073[1].JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	2.52 MB 
ID:	15480 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9077[1].JPG 
Views:	120 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	15481

I think I usually take pretty decent food pics but I didn't feel like these did justice to the food I was served. also not sure why some of them rotated but tilt your head.

My girlfriend and I share a birthday month... So we plan on going back to enjoy nonesuch again in December.

My wife and I are going there tonight. I'll report back.

17. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by hoya View Post
    My wife and I are going there tonight. I'll report back.
    Hope you both enjoy it as much as we did..... As a foodie I've had some excellent dining experiences but last night raised the bar really high for best experience ever.

Looks great but I would have to stop for something extra on the way home.

19. Default Re: Nonesuch

Quote Originally Posted by Greggo71 View Post
    Looks great but I would have to stop for something extra on the way home.
    12 courses is a lot of food.... First course was 5 items on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post
    12 courses is a lot of food.... First course was 5 items on it's own.
    Can concur. Each individual plate maybe looks less than filling, but at the end you'll realize you've eaten a lot more than it seemed at first glance.

I haven't been since 2017, but my mom's been asking about it so I need to sneak in a reservation when they open again in next month (still fully booked!)

It was amazing. I've never eaten food like that before.

I am a fairly picky eater, a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. To be honest I was apprehensive about eating at such a strange place. My wife made me promise to try everything, no matter what. I needn't have worried, everything was delicious.

It's difficult to compare to any other restaurant. Like you can say one steak is better than another, but how do you compare a steak to bison tartare wrapped in a sweet potato crisp with tiny gelatin cubes on top? My favorite thing was probably the country ham with tomato and melon, which doesn't really sound that amazing until you see how they did it. Every dish is like a work of art, I almost felt guilty eating it because I knew the amount of work that had to go into it was beyond my ability to appreciate.

We will definitely be going back. Really blown away.

I still love a good steak though.

We went on Wednesday as a birthday present from the wife, and it was great. We did the non-alcoholic drink pairings with it.

I am a fairly picky eater, a real meat and potatoes kind of guy. To be honest I was apprehensive about eating at such a strange place. My wife made me promise to try everything, no matter what. I needn't have worried, everything was delicious.

It's difficult to compare to any other restaurant. Like you can say one steak is better than another, but how do you compare a steak to bison tartare wrapped in a sweet potato crisp with tiny gelatin cubes on top? My favorite thing was probably the country ham with tomato and melon, which doesn't really sound that amazing until you see how they did it. Every dish is like a work of art, I almost felt guilty eating it because I knew the amount of work that had to go into it was beyond my ability to appreciate.

We will definitely be going back. Really blown away.

I still love a good steak though.
    This is one of my favorite posts I’ve read on this site. Cheers!

24. Default Re: Nonesuch

Great!

I'm not a picky eater but I know what I do and don't like. I had also told myself that even if it was something I knew I did not like. I was going to taste it anyway.... For example the chicken liver mousse.

I did not even realize the Bison Sweet Potato crisp was bison tartare but the noise level was making it hard for me to hear everything the chefs were saying.... There was a fairly large group on the opposite side that had finished their meals and were having loud conversations.

Nonesuch has opened a gorgeous private dining room; it's in space just south of their current location:

Thread Information