Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Softball Hall of Fame

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    not sure why that is surprising ..

about 30+ states will have this same legislation this year ..

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    not sure why that is surprising ..

Because of the economic consequences, but please continue playing stupid.

duplicate

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    Because of the economic consequences, but please continue playing stupid.
    if you thought this wasn't going pass .. you would have been playing stupid ...... and that has nothing to do with my thoughts for or against the bill

Which means there are 20 states that will be happy to take the Women's College World Series and about 20 other NCAA national and regional events that are scheduled for the state.

The negative impact of this could easily reach into the billions. Not to mention the loss of the national exposure and tourism we get as a result; you simply can't buy that type of positive PR.

And super glad we just spent $28 million for a softball complex that is now going to gather dust.

And in the long run, these kinds of laws will be struck down anyways for violating the equal protection clause and portions of the Civil Rights act. It's a legislative temper tantrum for no real gain but a significant amount of PR and monetary losses. Just so profoundly stupid and self-defeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Which means there are 20 states that will be happy to take the Women's College World Series and about 20 other NCAA national and regional events that are scheduled for the state.

The negative impact of this could easily reach into the billions. Not to mention the loss of the national exposure and tourism we get as a result; you simply can't buy that type of positive PR.

And super glad we just spent $28 million for a softball complex that is now going to gather dust.
    doubt the ncaa can get out of their current contract with Okc ... and if 30 states pass the legislation they would have the majority of member votes to not allow them to be banned from hosting ncaa comps ..

lets also not forget that the NCAA already has rules in place, and i think the OSSAA already does as well... so in reality, they law doesn't actually do anything except cost Oklahoma tourism, PR, and money.

found it... in June 2015... the OSSAA adopted a policy that requires male-to-female students to complete at least one year of hormone therapy before being allowed to participate on girls teams.

so instead of taking the policies of these sports governing bodies and waiting to see if there is any issues that come up. we are going to pass a blanket law for literally no reason.

^

Yeah, just like MLB baseball couldn't get out of its contract with Georgia for the all-star game.

Things get canceled all the time over similar issues.

^

Yeah, just like MLB baseball couldn't get out of its contract with Georgia for the all-star game.

Things get canceled all the time over similar issues.
    that is not really the same thing ..

the ncaa agreed to a long term agreement with Oklahoma city in return for millions of dollars in improvements to the stadium

OKC has poured the millions of dollars of improvements into the stadium ..... (over 27million)

It is the same thing.

Both involve recently passed legislation that sports governing bodies have deemed discriminatory.

And the NCAA has already issued a statement about this.

It is the same thing.

Both involve recently passed legislation that sports governing bodies have deemed discriminatory.

And the NCAA has already issued a statement about this.
    mlb didn't have a contract with the state of georgia or a city in georgia to have the all start game in return for millions of dollars in incentives

mlb didn't have a contract with the state of georgia or a city in georgia to have the all start game in return for millions of dollars in incentives
    Of course they had a contract.

And of course Atlanta had to shell out money as part of the deal.

Of course they had a contract.

And of course Atlanta had to shell out money as part of the deal.
    do you have a link to those incentives?? all star games in the big 4 American sports are not really bid on in the way most things are .. most are awarded as prizes ..... in the braves case .. as a reward to Cobb county (unincorporated area) for building the braves a new stadium

^

Google it yourself. All types of articles on the cost to host cities/counties/teams related to hosting all-star games.

^

Google it yourself. All types of articles on the cost to host cities/counties/teams related to hosting all-star games.
    cobb county was paying 2 mil for extra security .... that is all ..

cobb county was paying 2 mil for extra security .... that is all ..
    You don't know that is the only cost.

NBA cities pay millions in related costs to host allstar games. So the fact that OKC has spent money on the stadium by no means guarantees the NCAA can't break their contract.

And by the way, the main tenant of our softball complex is USA Softball. They could easily end their contract over this boondoggle.

doubt the ncaa can get out of their current contract with Okc ... and if 30 states pass the legislation they would have the majority of member votes to not allow them to be banned from hosting ncaa comps ..
    Not meaning to sound smart aleck, but I don't think NCAA member schools will endorse any of the state laws on transgender athletes. Universities are usually socially liberal.

Also, about the only remedy for the Softball contract if the NCAA pulls out is money. Civil contracts rarely (if ever) compel performance. They award money for non-compliance. And I'm almost certain the contract as currently written has an out for the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dob Hooligan View Post
    Not meaning to sound smart aleck, but I don't think NCAA member schools will endorse any of the state laws on transgender athletes. Universities are usually socially liberal.

Also, about the only remedy for the Softball contract if the NCAA pulls out is money. Civil contracts rarely (if ever) compel performance. They award money for non-compliance. And I'm almost certain the contract as currently written has an out for the NCAA.
    your second point i totally agree with money would be the best case scenario ..

on the first .. if 30 states pass this same bill i doubt the NCAA will do anything other then posture .... they are on very very shaky ground with the power 5 conf schools already

if 30 states pass this same bill i doubt the NCAA will do anything other then posture .... they are on very very shaky ground with the power 5 conf schools already
    Lots of states have passed or in the process of passing voting restrictions and MLB still found plenty of places to host the allstar game on short notice.

The NCAA has already come out with a strong statement on this matter.

Merely hoping they don't follow through when the state and city stand to lose a lot is not a very good strategy.

If you have the facilities to host a conference tourney, you can host a national tournament. Places like the Wilpon Complex in Ann Arbor that routinely hosts the Big Ten tournament MI or the ballpark in Rosemont, IL that hosts the Big East tournament could easily accommodate the national championships, and those communities would have no problem working on short notice to host such an event. There's not a lot of leverage Oklahoma has here.

I imagine the thinking of the legislature, many of whom I know do know better than this, are of the belief that they can pass this legislation and that the courts will dispose of it, and no harm/no foul. They can blame the lifetime appointed justices while running victory laps for sticking up for their Christlike approach to transgender discrimination in sports. It works every year with abortion legislation. The net effect here might even be that transgendered individuals begin to see their Constitutional rights crystallize as things move through the courts much as folks seeking same-sex marriages saw their rights finally spelled out in 50 states because someone challenged legislation threatening their rights.

Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    I imagine the thinking of the legislature, many of whom I know do know better than this, are of the belief that they can pass this legislation and that the courts will dispose of it, and no harm/no foul. They can blame the lifetime appointed justices while running victory laps for sticking up for their Christlike approach to transgender discrimination in sports.
    And dealing with the inevitable court cases will just cost taxpayers money for this idiocy.

And dealing with the inevitable court cases will just cost taxpayers money for this idiocy.
    Here's hoping that the famous landmark case which sets out transgendered people as a protected class is forever known as [someone's name] v. Stitt.

your second point i totally agree with money would be the best case scenario ..

on the first .. if 30 states pass this same bill i doubt the NCAA will do anything other then posture .... they are on very very shaky ground with the power 5 conf schools already
    I can't imagine the Presidents or Board of Regents of Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, University of Texas, etc...voting to support these laws.

Thread Information