Widgets Magazine
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 171819202122

Thread: Softball Hall of Fame

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

^

Rail would make so much sense with the zoo, Science Museum, Remington Park and various museums in the area. Especially with the growing number of hotels in the core and virtually zero anywhere close to all these attractions. A shuttle bus that would serve the Cowboy Hall and other attractions would make a lot of sense if we got rail going.

And yes on the shade. Just brutal for almost all sessions there.

2. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

You can see the proximity, across the street on 50th. There’s even a small station there already. I believe there would still be some track upgrades required to make it possible all of the way into Bricktown, and you’d probably need some sidings. But it wouldn’t require movement of heaven and earth by any means

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	18066

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    If we wanted to spend a bunch of money, on something other than shade, that is, I’d love to see rail service added between the complex and downtown. The lines already exist. The old Katy line is uninterrupted between a terminus just across 50th - literally about a block away from the stadium - and Bricktown, via the old Frisco ROW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    You can see the proximity, across the street on 50th. There’s even a small station there already. I believe there would still be some track upgrades required to make it possible all of the way into Bricktown, and you’d probably need some sidings. But it wouldn’t require movement of heaven and earth by any means

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0145.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	2.78 MB 
ID:	18066
    This seems like an excellent idea, how viable is it in terms of City of OKC support? Does the zoo want it to happen?

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    This seems like an excellent idea, how viable is it in terms of City of OKC support? Does the zoo want it to happen?
    the MAPS street car committee had a study done on this as a possible and viable rail project ..

I also think this area will be much more appealing once the I-35 expansion project is done and the service roads are rebuilt and reconfigured.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    I also think this area will be much more appealing once the I-35 expansion project is done and the service roads are rebuilt and reconfigured.
    https://oktraffic.org/#/map

Quote Originally Posted by Laramie View Post
    That is the area. Some adjacent roads will be improved, service roads will be converted to one way so two lanes each way for those, and for I-35 mainline 3 lanes each way with lighting, standard shoulders, and auxiliary lanes where needed.

The interchange at I-44 is also being redone and the project will also completely reconstruct I-35 from 23rd street to I-40 redoing that ugly blank concrete retaining wall. It will be very nice once done.

8. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

guys, dont forget that HOF Stadium is not only the venue for college touraments and WCWS, but is also home to OKC's new major league team, the WFP Oklahoma City Spark!

I agree that we need to keep upgrading the current stadium and replace it at the same location when the time comes. I also like the idea of rail connecting to downtown, there was once a Heritage Rail idea that had some momentum but seems to be lost since the pandemic. Even if we just had the rail service during the WCWS for starters would be a huge hit.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    guys, dont forget that HOF Stadium is not only the venue for college touraments and WCWS, but is also home to OKC's new major league team, the WFP Oklahoma City Spark!

I agree that we need to keep upgrading the current stadium and replace it at the same location when the time comes. I also like the idea of rail connecting to downtown, there was once a Heritage Rail idea that had some momentum but seems to be lost since the pandemic. Even if we just had the rail service during the WCWS for starters would be a huge hit.
    The Spark will play at the UCO softball stadium, which for me is a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by amocore View Post
    The Spark will play at the UCO softball stadium, which for me is a bummer.
    Only for their first six home games. Their last 12 home games are at the Hall of Fame Stadium.

11. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Oklahoma City Spark games can be seen here: https://www.wprofastpitch.tv/live/si...rs-at-oklahoma
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Oklahoma City announced as group stage host of WBSC Men’s Softball World Cup
    By Neil Shefferd Friday, 27 October 2023

Oklahoma City has been announced as a group stage host for the next World Baseball Softball Confederation Men’s Softball World Cup.

The American city will be one of three group stage hosts for the tournament, being contested in a new two stage format featuring a group stage and then a final.

Prince Albert in Canada has already been named as a group stage host and is also scheduled to stage the finals in 2025.

A total of 18 teams are set to compete are set to compete across three groups, with the top two in each advancing to the finals stage.

The third host for a group stage phase has yet to be announced.

Oklahoma City previously hosted the second edition of the Men’s Softball World Cup in 1968.

Action during the group staged in Oklahoma City will take place at the OGE Energy Field, which following renovation has an upper deck that has increased capacity by 4,000 seats.

Eight teams have already qualified for the tournament, including Canada and the US as already announced group stage co-hosts.

Australia are the reigning champions having beaten Canada at the previous edition, staged at Auckland in 2022.

Australia have yet to secure their place in the group stage but will have the chance to do so at next month’s Oceania Qualifier which is being held at Pago Pago in American Samoa.

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Good news for Oklahoma City. Hope we can have a brand name hotel announced with a room count ready to welcome the men's world cup to the Adventure District.

Reference: "Hotel and huge new pickleball and volleyball complex coming to Remington Park area" https://www.okctalk.com/content.php?...gton-Park-area

Thanks Pete for the early release on this future OKC international event.

Thread Information