Widgets Magazine
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Devon Park (Softball Hall of Fame)

Blog Entries

NCAA Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Game 9 | No. 9 Stanford vs. No. 7 Washington | 2 p.m. | ABC
    Game 10 | No. 6 Oklahoma State vs. No. 4 Tennessee |6 p.m. | ESPN2

Games are CST

Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Alabama is in the Bricktown Renaissance. Florida State is in the Skirvin. Others are packing other hotels, eating, shopping, sightseeing between practice and game sessions. Teams and fans are out and about all over the city. Between captured sales taxes, room taxes, temporary and long-term job creation, new injection of cash to the local economy, plus incessant plugs on social and traditional media, positioning OKC as the desirable, ultimate goal for teams and fans, the WCWS is one of the absolute best arguments for continued civic facilities investment.
    Based on OU Softball’s Instagram, I think they’re staying at First National

Blog Entries

Sunday, June 4, 2023

Game 9 | No. 9 Stanford 1 vs. No. 7 Washington 0|
    Game 10 | vs. No. 4 Tennessee 3 vs No. 6 Oklahoma State 1 - Attendance: 12,436|

Blog Entries

Monday, June 5, 2023

Game 11: No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 9 Stanford Game 9 — 1 p.m. (ESPN)
    Game 12 (if necessary, same teams as Game 11) — 3:30 p.m. (ESPN)
    Game 13: No. 3 Florida State vs No.4 Tennessee — 6 p.m. (ESPN)
    Game 14 (if necessary, same teams as Game 13) — 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)

5. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

The OU - Stanford game is at 11. I think you left off a 1.

Blog Entries

Thanks for call this to my attention Bill:

Correction:

June 5, 2023

Game 11: No. 1 Oklahoma vs. No. 9 Stanford Game 9 — 11a.m. (ESPN)
    Game 12 (if necessary, same teams as Game 11) — 1:30 p.m. (ESPN)
    Game 13: No. 3 Florida State vs No.4 Tennessee — 6 p.m. (ESPN)
    Game 14 (if necessary, same teams as Game 13) — 8:30 p.m. (ESPN)

7. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

I saw only sure it's 11 because I took a day off to watch it!

My wife and I had a dinner function downtown last night and it was great to see so many people on the streets, throughout Bricktown and downtown. Even when we were leaving the restaurant at about 9 pm there were people everywhere, walking, on scooters, riding the streetcar, etc.

It would be great if OKC would increase the number of events that draw out-of-town visitors. The WCWS is a total gem for this city.

9. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    My wife and I had a dinner function downtown last night and it was great to see so many people on the streets, throughout Bricktown and downtown. Even when we were leaving the restaurant at about 9 pm there were people everywhere, walking, on scooters, riding the streetcar, etc.

It would be great if OKC would increase the number of events that draw out-of-town visitors. The WCWS is a total gem for this city.
    OU joining the SEC should see some uptick in travel from other football schools. I am guessing a lot will stay in OKC.

10. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post

Don't tell the folks on here who believe sports facilities have no economic impact, simply because it isn't quantifiable in absolutes.

Blog Entries

June 5, 2023

Game 11: No. 1 Oklahoma 4 vs. No. 9 Stanford 2 — (ESPN)

Attendance: 12,071

Blog Entries

Went today. Sound is much improved from years past the new scoreboards are great. Only problem was I was section 16 almost 17 and the Espn camera blocked the hits and errors on the outfield scoreboard. That's minor but they need sun blockers for more shade. Upper deck looked half empty that was cause there were tons of people standing under the upper deck in the shade on the concourse. Espn cameras had sun blockers for shade. I'm not sure what the cost would be but if you want to continue playing games at 11am with temps in the mid 80s and high humidity give the fans some shaded seats.

Blog Entries

^ ^ ^ IMO is a major concern and solutions to this problem should be a top priority.

Would custom arched cantilever structures over the two upper deck sections work???

Quote Originally Posted by kukblue1 View Post
    Went today. Sound is much improved from years past the new scoreboards are great. Only problem was I was section 16 almost 17 and the Espn camera blocked the hits and errors on the outfield scoreboard. That's minor but they need sun blockers for more shade. Upper deck looked half empty that was cause there were tons of people standing under the upper deck in the shade on the concourse. Espn cameras had sun blockers for shade. I'm not sure what the cost would be but if you want to continue playing games at 11am with temps in the mid 80s and high humidity give the fans some shaded seats.
    are softball fans just much softer then football fans ?? baseball fans?? it is often 95-100 in sept and 9x people sit outside for 4 hours ...

this is a non issue ..

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    are softball fans just much softer then football fans ?? baseball fans?? it is often 95-100 in sept and 9x people sit outside for 4 hours ...

this is a non issue ..
    I often hear football fans complain relentlessly about the heat during games in September and October, but it’s an issue regardless of how much suffering football fans choose to put up with. It gets very hot in the summer and almost no one wants to sit in the sun for multiple hours. We often do not take into account weather-related comfort and convenience for our outdoor facilities, which is short sighted. We need to make our outdoor facilities much more person-centered, which partly means shade structures should be added to HoF. We are in the process of repeating the mistake of not building with people in mind with the soccer stadium because the option without shade structures was chosen to reduce costs, and we will regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    I often hear football fans complain relentlessly about the heat during games in September and October, but it’s an issue regardless of how much suffering football fans choose to put up with. It gets very hot in the summer and almost no one wants to sit in the sun for multiple hours. We often do not take into account weather-related comfort and convenience for our outdoor facilities, which is short sighted. We need to make our outdoor facilities much more person-centered, which partly means shade structures should be added to HoF. We are in the process of repeating the mistake of not building with people in mind with the soccer stadium because the option without shade structures was chosen to reduce costs, and we will regret it.
    Since virtually everything is broadcast on TV for free (or in the case of ESPN+, a monthly cost less than one ticket) and virtually everyone has a great home theater system and can also watch on any mobile device, these types of issues are becoming more and more important.

After years, I finally didn't renew my OU football season tickets. My seats were on the eastside which means the sun beats down on you relentlessly for at least the first half of the season. And although you can finally get decent wifi in the stadium, you are still at a big information disadvantage over someone watching from home.

I still go to games because it's easy to find tickets. Just not nearly as much. I may have the opportunity to buy into a suite and that is appealing, but the expense is enormous.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post

this is a non issue ..
    Daytime football games in September at OU. They've got people being hauled out on stretchers on the hot days.

One of the reasons the Texas Rangers abandoned Globe Life Park was because it didn’t have a roof/retractable roof. Turns out Texas gets hot in the summer too.

did millennials ruin getting heat stroke while watching live sports

Quote Originally Posted by Bellaboo View Post
    Daytime football games in September at OU. They've got people being hauled out on stretchers on the hot days.
    Another Huge difference is if OU would of lost the first game they would of had to play another game. First game was 2 1/2 hours. So you could be sitting out in the sun for 6 hours. Thursday 2 games each session. Saturday 2 games each session. So while yes it's hot for football games softball games can be much longer if you want to stay for more than one game. Also humidity in June tends to be higher than in September.

22. Default Re: Softball Hall of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by Jake View Post
    One of the reasons the Texas Rangers abandoned Globe Life Park was because it didn’t have a roof/retractable roof. Turns out Texas gets hot in the summer too.
    I've sat a number of times in July-August-September in the upper deck facing the sun. It was brutal. And I don't even like the Rangers. I have a friend that lives there that always wanted to go.

Even the oldest, most decrepit stadiums in England and in most of Europe have shade and rain structures.

And for anything new, not including these features is no more a consideration than cutting all the restrooms.

In typical American fashion, our small workaround (other than enclosed facilities) is to add a bunch of suites and then charge 100x more than exposed seats.

They need to start looking at solutions for this asap. Especially after the remodel removed the few previously shaded seats the stadium had. I cant imagine it would be a huge cost to come from the backside and add a canopy to the upper deck. I understand it would be tough to do for the outfield bleachers as they are temporary and moved in and out, but a canopy over the upper deck/press box seems like a no brainer.

The other 3 fields at the HOF complex even have shade structures over their seating.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    They need to start looking at solutions for this asap.
    it is not really an issue and won't stop them from selling any seats ... and perhaps will even drive drink sales ..

Thread Information