Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Taste of Korea

1. Film Exchange Taste of Korea

Noticed the restaurant on the SW corner of Sheridan and Western has a new sign up.

This is the building that was a China Queen for years and was more recently Amy's Noodle House.

It doesn't appear to be open for business yet but I love Korean food so I'll be going to check it out as soon as it opens.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4966.JPG 
Views:	249 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	13732

Name:	IMG_4967.JPG 
Views:	201 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	13733

Default Re: Taste of Korea

This is very exciting to see! Besides Chae this would be the first Korean restaurant this side of MWC in as long as I've been here.

Looks like this is a new business registration from what I could find so it'll be interesting to see how this takes off in this area that is quickly growing.

3. Default Re: Taste of Korea

Drove by at lunch time today and there were two cars in the parking lot and a truck at the drive thru window but I couldn't tell if they were actually open yet... No obvious open sign or banners promoting them being open.

4. Default Re: Taste of Korea

Walked over and gave this place a try today... Small dining area with 6 tables (Five 4 Tops & one 6 Top).... Service was a little slow, but everything is made to order, and the young man serving was very personable and humorous. Crowd was very ecclectic from business people to hipster musicans. It's also not cheap but neither are the ingredients they are serving. So I felt the price point matched the product.

I started with some yaki mandu.... Was hoping to see some tok bok ki but it wasn't on the appetizers menu. They did have some rice cake entrees that sounded good

Name:	IMG_5241.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	2.62 MB 
ID:	13823

And then ordered dolsot bibimbap as an entree..... I have to say it was one of the most well presented pots of bibimbap I've ever been served. From the rim right to the beautiful, sesame seed garnished, runny egg yolk in the middle... The entire pot was gorgeous and the gochujang had a really nice kick to it!

Name:	IMG_5243.JPG 
Views:	173 
Size:	2.80 MB 
ID:	13824

I only received 3 side dishes, compared to the 5-6 multiple party tables were served, but they were all good. Even the kimchi which I am really not a fan of.

Name:	IMG_5242.JPG 
Views:	184 
Size:	983.1 KB 
ID:	13825

I can't say go if you are looking for a quick lunch. None of the multiple seated tables made it out before I did and I was there at least 45 minutes to get my appetizer and entree.... If you are looking for some really tasty Korean food and have the time to wait for it. I highly recommend this place.... Just have to wonder how long they can last in this location. The food is way superior to the building.

Unfortunately there were no to go menus and they have no web presence at all at this point but the menu, while not being overly large, was very well populated with Korean dishes I have seen before as well as a few that I had not.

How much did you pay for those 3 things?

6. Default Re: Taste of Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    How much did you pay for those 3 things?
    I want to say the yaki mando was $7-$8 and the dolsot bibimbap was around $13-$14.

checked this place out at lunch today... i don't have too much experience with korean food. i ordered the bibimbap to compare against what i've had at b-won... seemed like a little bit less meat but had more varieties of vegetables in it... i wouldn't say that either is 'better' than the other, just different. service was a little slow, even when compared with b-won. will have to check out some of their other dishes in the future.

8. Default Re: Taste of Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    checked this place out at lunch today...
    I just got back from there myself.... Tried the Gimbap appetizer and the LA Galbi today and both were excellent... Did you happen to be one of the two guys sitting at the table in NE corner?

I thought the service was a little quicker today but still a little disjointed.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I just got back from there myself.... Tried the Gimbap appetizer and the LA Galbi today and both were excellent... Did you happen to be one of the two guys sitting at the table in NE corner?

I thought the service was a little quicker today but still a little disjointed.
    yep... i'm betting y'all were the table just south of my co-worker and i. could've sworn you guys were talking barbecue at one point. would've said 'hi' had i known!

10. Default Re: Taste of Korea

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    yep... i'm betting y'all were the table just south of my co-worker and i. could've sworn you guys were talking barbecue at one point. would've said 'hi' had i known!
    Yep... There was talk of BBQ and fire pit cooking going on.

They now have a lunch menu:

Love that place. It's particularly good when the owner provides the table service.

Holy cow! Sooooo good.

This is the spicy pork. Enough for 3 people and delicious.

I was the only non-Korean in there (only 3 other tables) which is always a good sign.

Was it just me or did the menu get smaller over the past 3 months or so?

15. Default Re: Taste of Korea

yes, I can vouch for this restaurant as we've been there on a couple of past visits to the city.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

16. Default Re: Taste of Korea

This place is one of Oklahoma City's best hidden gems. Amazing food!

Is this in the vicinity of Anthem Brewing and the Farmers Public Market? I've been hankerin' fer Korea Food.

Quote Originally Posted by RadicalModerate View Post
    Is this in the vicinity of Anthem Brewing and the Farmers Public Market? I've been hankerin' fer Korea Food.
    Somewhat but not that far south.

it's actually directly across from the McDonald's on Western just south of Sheridan. Tons of construction in the area but Western is open to the north.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Somewhat but not that far south.

it's actually directly across from the McDonald's on Western just south of Sheridan. Tons of construction in the area but Western is open to the north.
    Thank you Sir. When I read the review I thought, "Dang that sounds good" yet the reopening of Sean's place on North May and the lure of Baba G's . . . well . . . goes without sayin . . . =~)

It's absolutely worth checking out, the LA Galbi short ribs from there might be my favorite meal in OKC right now. They took it off menu due to distributor problems but just brought it back, I've been trying to get a group to go for a couple weeks now and I am about to just go eat there myself haha.

21. Default Re: Taste of Korea

I was really worried about the construction putting them out of business but I think they are going to kill it when the apartments and street construction are finished.... Next obstacle they have to overcome is that they are really too good for that building.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was really worried about the construction putting them out of business but I think they are going to kill it when the apartments and street construction are finished.... Next obstacle they have to overcome is that they are really too good for that building.
    Yeah. They are probably going to have severe growing pains soon. That's the best non-specialized Korean food I've had outside of Korea, and I've had Korean food in dozens of North American and European cities. I recommend trying whatever is written on the chalkboard for the day. Somedays they have a spicy galbi stew, which might be my favorite thing at Taste of Korea. Just don't go when you are in a hurry.

Oklahoman reporting they will close on Feb. 23rd and may or may not reopen.

I would bet they will not reopen at the current location, if at all.

Noooooo!!!!!!!!

Man, RIP- 2020 has been rough on my list of Top 10 OKC restaurants closing, knocking 3 off.
    Anyone know where to find comparable short ribs in the city?

Thread Information