Widgets Magazine

Thread: Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

1. Default Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

Well, it's official as of tonight's Edmond City Council meeting... Lots that are at least 30,000 square feet can have hens on the property (via permit and under certain restrictions).

It's about time.

*Permitting starts in 30-days.

2. Default Re: Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

Default Re: Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

Chicks and ducks and geese better scurry...

I'm happy they kept that large minimum... I don't have to worry about the smell and noise...

I grew up with neighbors with chickens.. did not like it.

5. Default Re: Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm happy they kept that large minimum... I don't have to worry about the smell and noise...

I grew up with neighbors with chickens.. did not like it.
    Gotta disagree with you there -- at least from my personal perspective. If you're raising the 18 or less this ordinance restricts you to, you don't have a rooster and you clean up daily - you should have virtually zero noise and no odor. And, if you're not crabby, you probably get some free eggs out of it too!

I've raised chickens for years and you're not gonna be able to smell a thing and my chicken waste doesn't go in a trash can - its dumped on top of my compost pile and sits there in the open air and you'd never know it, even 5' away from it. You'll only hear them if they just laid an egg and none of it comes anywhere close to the nuisance a dog or two can be next door.

Fortunately the city leaders saw through the misinformation and did the right thing. Hopefully in a year or two they'll reduce the minimum lot size from 3/4 acre.

In fact, this is my yard Ali with channel 4 used in one of her stories....

I have to agree, chickens are not a big deal. Our former neighbor where I used to live had a bunch of them, and they were never a problem. It was his roosters and guineas , along with his dogs that pissed everyone off. We were all on 5 and 6 acre tracts, but the coops weren't that far away.

7. Default Re: Edmond City Council Approves Chicken Ordinance

Quote Originally Posted by rezman View Post
    I have to agree, chickens are not a big deal. Our former neighbor where I used to live had a bunch of them, and they were never a problem. It was his roosters and guineas , along with his dogs that pissed everyone off. We were all on 5 and 6 acre tracts, but the coops weren't that far away.
    Guineas can be very loud and I can see where neighbors could be annoyed. We've been very lucky in our neighborhood. Someone introduced guineas a few years ago and they mostly hangout and roost near our property (or on it) or adjacent to it. There have been as many as 28 or so at one time. I've yet to hear any neighbors complain. We're all on about 2.5 acres, so everyone can definitely hear them.

Someone in our neighborhood has a rooster, but it must be several blocks away and I rarely hear it.

Thread Information