Widgets Magazine

Thread: Capitol Hill Plaza

Capitol Hill Capitol Hill Plaza

accidentally came across the website of "prime architects" based out of norman and browsing through
    their projects compilation found "capitol hill plaza" for sw 25th street. i am familiar with the area as i usually
    have to pass through the east-west corridors of the city on a consistent basis but also trying to locate the
    spot where the plaza would go on google maps i came to the conclusion that it must be at the south east corner of the
    robinson and sw 25th intersection. i could not find any other source to confirm this development besides
    prime's own website.

http://www.prime-arch.com/projects.html

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6-capitol-hill-plaza-copy_orig.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	13688

Default Re: capitol hill plaza

Quote Originally Posted by OKC2017 View Post
    accidentally came across the website of "prime architects" based out of norman and browsing through
    their projects compilation found "capitol hill plaza" for sw 25th street. i am familiar with the area as i usually
    have to pass through the east-west corridors of the city on a consistent basis but also trying to locate the
    spot where the plaza would go on google maps i came to the conclusion that it must be at the south east corner of the
    robinson and sw 25th intersection. i could not find any other source to confirm this development besides
    prime's own website.

http://www.prime-arch.com/projects.html

Name:	6-capitol-hill-plaza-copy_orig.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	22.8 KB 
ID:	13688
    It also shows a depiction of a retail strip on S. Western.

Name:	1-s-western-retail-center_orig.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	13689

I think that's the type of development the inner south side could easily had if the city enacted some minimal standards. Very high traffic counts and residential density should make that area attractive for minimally decent retail development, and something has to be done in the wake of Target and eventually Sears leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    It also shows a depiction of a retail strip on S. Western.

Name:	1-s-western-retail-center_orig.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	22.0 KB 
ID:	13689
    you are right. now that i think about it, there actually is a brand new construction development taking place along south western
    approaching 240 across the street from the commercial strip where cici's pizza is located. i may be mistaken but i think it used
    to be a mexican restaurant. the construction appears to be a commercial retail strip similar to the one across the street.

tried looking for more information on this plaza, like a complete set of renderings or something but
    couldn't find any so far, although i did come across this article that i found interesting.

http://www.405magazine.com/May-2016/...ill/index.php?

the following is a student's research project published on issuu.
    on page 12 there is a hint at the plaza and the site.
    overall, there are some interesting ideas and graphics shared by the publisher.

https://issuu.com/jodiduby/docs/fina...g_the_future_o

i found this on capitol hill's own website.

the image is just an illustration of the plaza site

Name:	c25plaza.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	120.7 KB 
ID:	13803

Name:	okcplaza2.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	5.40 MB 
ID:	13804Click image for larger version. 

Name:	okcplaza1.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	8.02 MB 
ID:	13805

Hmm... I wonder if the Parking garage in the rendering will be built... :/

a couple of month's ago it was reported that the yale theater is only the first of multiple redevelopments in capitol hill by mason realty investments;
    http://newsok.com/steve-mason-makes-...rticle/5550158
    (the last paragraph of the article hints at more redevelopment investments in the area)
    recently i have heard comments that the first of these investments to hit the area right after the yale theater opens in january is a themed bar and grill
    on the south east corner of robinson and 25th street right next to the proposed capitol hill plaza, which is expected to begin construction in the coming
    months. i still don't know what the theme of the new pub will be. the image is a reference of where this new bar/restaurant will be located.
    do the guys here know if any permits have already been filed for construction on this property?

Name:	caphillbargrillPOST.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	10.40 MB 
ID:	14094

This project is moving forward and should be constructed soon.

From OKC Free Press:

OKLAHOMA CITY — Dreams over 20 years for a full, permanent plaza in the Calle Dos Cinco in Historic Capitol Hill district on the near south side came closer to reality Thursday.

Some at the meeting had been pushing for a plaza in the district for the last 20 years, and the meeting was as much a celebration of the effort as it was to satisfy the curiosity of those eager to see the plans.

Plazas are a key element of community life in even the smallest towns in Mexico and the rest of Latin America. They are a gathering place for many types of events and even for family gatherings.

Key numbers

Budget: $2 million from federal SNI grant money with some COVID relief money added
    Engineering and design costs from that budget: $114,000
    Key elements

City Council agreed to close one block of Harvey Avenue going north from S.W. 25th Street or Calle Dos Cinco
    The ornate front of the former Capitol Hill Baptist Church, now Templo de Alabanza, will be a visual feature
    Entryways on both ends of the block will set off the plaza with removable bollards installed to stop any kind of car traffic
    Overhead lights and hanging decorative features will stretch across the plaza
    A band stage and cover for use throughout the week will be another key feature
    More information and a rendering here: https://freepressokc.com/dream-of-a-...oming-reality/

Interesting. So here?

Love it!

Awesome to see this happening. I remember hearing OUs IQC talk about this project and how they set up a temporary plaza with barrels , tires, and pallets. We really need more open streets in OKC

Edit: Heres the IQC report https://issuu.com/ouiqc/docs/capitol...rce=iqc.ou.edu

14. Default Re: capitol hill plaza

looks like the current proposal is even better than what IQC did, which is wonderful. Hopefully with the plaza they can further placemake the area adding murals to those walls.

I really hope the Mexican Consulate General can open in Capital Hill, what a statement it would make to the local community; further enhancing Capital Hill's importance as a district to OKC.
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Thread Information