Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112

Thread: Campus Corner

Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I've heard from a couple of different sources that this big Campus Corner project is either completely stalled or dead.

To get it done, the University would have to come in as a partner and then use eminent domain for some holdouts. As you can understand, President Harroz doesn't want to put resources into this and then use eminent domain on what will be a very controversial project. A lot of alums would be upset about a complete scrape of the area, and that's political capital the school does not want to spend, as there are a ton of big things in the works.

Was also told OU is fully behind the new basketball arena at University North Park. Seems like that project is going forward and is quite likely to happen.
    As stated earlier in this thread, the Oklahoma Supreme Court has ruled that Oklahoma Government can not use eminent domain for economic development. Board of County Commissioners of Muskogee County v. Lowery(2006). The Oklahoma constitution forbids it. The landowners, represented by the OFB Legal Foundation, appealed their case to the Oklahoma Supreme Court, and in 2006 the Court expressly held the Oklahoma Constitution provided more protection for private landowners than the U.S. Constitution, and that economic development, without any other rationale, does not create a legitimate public purpose or public use. The Court noted that “[t]o permit the inclusion of economic development alone in the category of ‘public use’ or ‘public purpose’ would blur the line between ‘public’ and ‘private’ so as to render our constitutional limitations on the power of eminent domain a nullity. If property ownership in Oklahoma is to remain what the framers of our Constitution intended it to be this we must not do.” Therefore, Oklahoma landowners can successfully challenge a proposed condemnation by showing that the proposed use is not allowable under Oklahoma law.
    https://www.mcafeetaft.com/eminent-d...minent-domain/

2. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Everything in those pics would have been demolished?

Glad this isn’t happening. Develop the huge lot between the Presidents house and Noun before even considering razing an area. That is a huge lot that could become something special if there really is energy to pursue dense, mixed use developments.

4. Default Re: Campus Corner

I agree. I like some of the architecture on the C. Corner. It should be quaint enough that small business owners can affordvto lease out space. The proposal kind of seemed like "gentrification" of a nice place that didn't need to be done.

I'm just glad they won't be tearing down Skinny Slims. Love that place. (Sarcasm)

Quote Originally Posted by mattjank View Post
    I'm just glad they won't be tearing down Skinny Slims. Love that place. (Sarcasm)
    lol. the amount of skinny slims jokes my friend group has made ever since we first heard about this redevelopment, has been priceless

7. Default Re: Campus Corner

As I've posted before here. At first I was devastated by the idea of Campus Corner being razed. Then the more discussion the more I accepted the idea. Even got completely behind it. Then yesterday when I heard it wasn't going to happen I have to admit something deep inside gave a sigh of relief and cheered.

8. Default Re: Campus Corner

I still think closing the streets that run through it to make it more walk-able then build a garage seems like a no brainier.

I'd hate to lose spaces like the old Harrods.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    As I've posted before here. At first I was devastated by the idea of Campus Corner being razed. Then the more discussion the more I accepted the idea. Even got completely behind it. Then yesterday when I heard it wasn't going to happen I have to admit something deep inside gave a sigh of relief and cheered.
    You and me both. Surprised I didn't see you sitting next to me on the roller coaster LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Glad this isn’t happening. Develop the huge lot between the Presidents house and Noun before even considering razing an area. That is a huge lot that could become something special if there really is energy to pursue dense, mixed use developments.
    That's been my argument (though I did warm up to the scrape and bake proposal). There's a bunch of parking lot space in and around CC and after that's used up, there are plenty of underutilized buildings with little to no historic/aesthetic value that can be razed for a higher and better use. I just think a ton can be done with what is there (both building stock and empty space) and think that approach could lead to a better final product than scraping all of it and starting over.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    That's been my argument (though I did warm up to the scrape and bake proposal). There's a bunch of parking lot space in and around CC and after that's used up, there are plenty of underutilized buildings with little to no historic/aesthetic value that can be razed for a higher and better use. I just think a ton can be done with what is there (both building stock and empty space) and think that approach could lead to a better final product than scraping all of it and starting over.
    Completely agree. OU, through both its existing property around campus corner and maybe through the strategic purchase of other CC property, needs to raise the bar in the area by developing higher quality retail (restaurants, hotels, stores, merchandise, etc.) . Put the pressure on the current CC landlords to up their game. Right now they aren't motivated to do so and, as a result, you have some less than desirable tenants that have crept in. The university can be the catalyst to make this an outstanding area while preserving the historic character of it. The amount of private development student housing that has occurred east and north of CC makes it ripe for bigger development. Student housing, I might add, that is leased primarily by the wealthier students. They have the money to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSooner View Post
    Completely agree. OU, through both its existing property around campus corner and maybe through the strategic purchase of other CC property, needs to raise the bar in the area by developing higher quality retail (restaurants, hotels, stores, merchandise, etc.) . Put the pressure on the current CC landlords to up their game. Right now they aren't motivated to do so and, as a result, you have some less than desirable tenants that have crept in. The university can be the catalyst to make this an outstanding area while preserving the historic character of it. The amount of private development student housing that has occurred east and north of CC makes it ripe for bigger development. Student housing, I might add, that is leased primarily by the wealthier students. They have the money to spend.
    OU is constitionally barred from using eminent domain for economic development purposes.

Obviously.

I’m not talking about using eminent domain. Just buying property as anyone else would. The University has slowly, selectively and strategically bought up tons of properties around the perimeter of campus (in particular to the east) that, to my knowledge, didn’t involve exercising eminent domain. Just strategic acquisitions. For example, they own a random property just down the street from my house on the southeast corner of Flood and Lindsey that had nothing to do with eminent domain.

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSooner View Post
    Obviously.

I’m not talking about using eminent domain. Just buying property as anyone else would. The University has slowly, selectively and strategically bought up tons of properties around the perimeter of campus (in particular to the east) that, to my knowledge, didn’t involve exercising eminent domain. Just strategic acquisitions. For example, they own a random property just down the street from my house on the southeast corner of Flood and Lindsey that had nothing to do with eminent domain.
    the university also regularly uses Eminent domain to acquire property around its perimeter

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    the university also regularly uses Eminent domain to acquire property around its perimeter
    Do they regularly do that though? It seems like by and large the sales are voluntary. There are several tracts of land near a house I used to rent in college (that my landlord sold to the university) and it seems like they would've been taken by eminent domain by now if they were that trigger happy with it.

HangryHippo Guest

I don’t buy that OU “regularly uses Eminent domain”. In my experience, it’s been voluntary sales like PhiAlpha said. Boulder needs to back up his claim.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    Would love to see this project revived as creative/co-working office space over ground floor retail on Boyd

This was the project that was supposed to replace the gas station. I was really excited about this because it included structured parking. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    I don’t buy that OU “regularly uses Eminent domain”. In my experience, it’s been voluntary sales like PhiAlpha said. Boulder needs to back up his claim.
    agreed. i think there is an assumption that anytime the university makes a land purchase, that it was eminent domain, and i think that is probably the very rare exception, not the standard

They absolutely do not routinely or normally utilize eminent domain for property acquisitions. They have and can, but not routinely. They buy and sell property all the time in various locations for various reasons. Just watch the Regents agenda and you'll see these transactions. They aren't eminent domain driven. I know several folks that have voluntary sold property east of Jenkins. OU puts feelers out and slowly, methodically builds a portfolio properties for whatever the purpose. They also routinely divest of properties for whatever reason, usually for a profit. They have an in-house real estate group as well as a contract agency.

Quote Originally Posted by jedicurt View Post
    agreed. i think there is an assumption that anytime the university makes a land purchase, that it was eminent domain, and i think that is probably the very rare exception, not the standard
    ok OU regularly threatens ED to acquire property .. either way .. it is a tool that they make sure it known when they want property

ok OU regularly threatens ED to acquire property .. either way .. it is a tool that they make sure it known when they want property
    Someone should make sure those property owners are aware that there are pills/treatments for that so that they can make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Someone should make sure those property owners are aware that there are pills/treatments for that so that they can make an informed decision.
    lol

and of course, you have proof of this claim, correct? that OU is threatening land owners that if they don't sell, OU will use Eminent domain? because that is a very serious charge of extortion you are leveraging, one that might be criminal in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    This +1

Again, if there's really a push to improve Campus Corner then develop the following lots:

- Large parking lot between the Presidents house and Noun
    - Parking lot at White & Asp in the heart of Campus Corner
    - Re-develop the properties with Campus Corner Market and the strip mall to the East. Really poor use of those properties
    - Parking lot north of Hideaway

Redeveloping these properties could transform Campus Corner if done well.

Razing the walkable buildings never made sense with these other lots. If it must happen, any loss of surface parking could easily be replaced by a parking garage being included in the development between the Presidents house and Noun.

Thread Information