Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Campus Corner

Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Spent all morning in Norman and I photographed every single building on Campus Corner; I'll post all of them later.

Thats great! Thanks for doing all of that.

I hope they’ll still keep the streets open and allow outdoor drinking in the district on gamedays. I think that’s what makes the area unique on gamedays compared to other college towns (or most places, generally). I don’t make it over there as much as I used to, but it’s nice to be able to buy a beer from a merchant without having to go into a crowded establishment and wait for service, etc. (While it used to be nice to take that beer wherever I pleased, I understand the modernization laws made it more difficult after the 3.2 distinction was removed.). I’ve been surprised at how much policing other cities and schools regarding open container. When I was at a tailgate in Columbus, I was told we had to put our beer in a red cup and keep it at the tailgate. While not much of an inconvenience, I’m glad Norman is lax on those issues as a policy.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    The irony is that if this development happened, OU’s marquee area on gameday—Campus Corner—would be a construction site for the first several years OU is in the SEC. It would make a far worse impression and gameday experience for visitors than, say, just developing vacant lots or naturally continuing projects, or just buying out crappy landlords. This is why the SEC angle makes no sense.
    I think when people see massive construction the think "progress" and don't get a bad impression ..

If there were to be massive redevelopment, I'm sure it would be a phased approach so the entire district wouldn't be out of commission at the same time.

Maybe they can just hire the people doing OAK and have it all done in 3 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    I guess my main concern is knocking a bunch of successful businesses down before developing a bunch of vacant land. But from a historical perspective, I’d say at minimum keep the corner buildings on asp and Boyd as they’ve been minimally changed and have been the gateway to that area for 100 years, the boomer theater, Othellos and the buildings on the corner just south of it, the building Yo Pablo! is in which has been minimally altered, the Buchanan bike building, the building Pepe Delgados is in, the Blackbird building and the maybe the old Harold’s buildings. I don’t know if I’d save them because they are newer but I’d avoid knocking down Logies or the Porch in the first wave since they’ve both been recently rebuilt to add a second floor.

Also maybe keep the deli.
    Agree all with this. Raised in Norman and I have spent many many days and nights on campus corner and half of the buildings seem like they are held up by the numerous layers of paint on the interior and exterior walls. Also, I think some of the challenge in blending campus corner into main street is the large # of churches in-between. Kinda hard to redevelop those.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Maybe they can just hire the people doing OAK and have it all done in 3 weeks.
    And have the planning and other parts of the project take 6 years? No thanks.

Al Eschbach recently said on his show that he's hearing the same thing: Most of Campus Corner will be leveled and replaced with 6-story buildings; retail on the ground floor and apartments above and structured parking.

Said the University really wants it to happen and it's part of the big push for the SEC.

Also said he's hearing it will start in the next couple of years.

I've still yet to post the photos I took of every building in that area and frankly, there isn't much there worth saving. Yes, the collective adds up to a fun place but if you start looking at the buildings, very, very few are anything special.

I'll still post the photos and the numbered map that correlates.

9. Default Re: Campus Corner

I've still yet to post the photos I took of every building in that area and frankly, there isn't much there worth saving. Yes, the collective adds up to a fun place but if you start looking at the buildings, very, very few are anything special.
    SAVE SUGER'S!!!!! Some of my best Campus Corner memories were made there!!!!!

10. Default Re: Campus Corner

It was hard but I've gotten on board with a redo of Campus Corner. I just wish for 2 things. The designers understand that keeping some feel of nostalgia is important to those of us that spent lots of time there. And the designers give LOTS of consideration to the part of campus across the street which has such old and beautiful buildings.

11. Default Re: Campus Corner

Dickson st in Fayetteville has changed over the 20 years we lived/traveled there and it has gone from a worn down campus corner to a beautiful area. I hope the developers for ours takes a look over there. A mix of old and new works well for them, it can for us.

You should try and talk to Rainey Powell (Harold's). Owns and offices at the Boomer. He can tell you what's going on. This large scale real estate acquisition effort has been going on for some time.

Quote Originally Posted by billeboy View Post
    You should try and talk to Rainey Powell (Harold's). Owns and offices at the Boomer. He can tell you what's going on. This large scale real estate acquisition effort has been going on for some time.
    If only the guy cared about anything but himself and his dollar. One of the worst property owners in the OKC Metro. A sad, albeit not atypical story of second generation property ownership.

14. Default Re: Campus Corner

I'm all for a redevelopment of campus corner but in my perfect world, the developers will come up with a way to preserve the more unique building facades while building apartments set-back 10 feet or so from those facades.

Quote Originally Posted by UrbanNorman View Post
    If only the guy cared about anything but himself and his dollar. One of the worst property owners in the OKC Metro. A sad, albeit not atypical story of second generation property ownership.
    I've never heard of him but I've also never tried to lease property around campus corner. What makes him a bad property owner?

I loved Campus Corner in my time in Norman, but it’s kind of sad seeing all of those pics and 90% of the buildings are identical to 20 years ago (with the exception of some minor work and paint). I went to Athens, GA earlier this year and was shocked at the difference. There were cranes, construction and new developments going up all around campus. It’s nearly identical population to Norman, but half the area. It would be a pretty sweet college to go to, in all honesty.

Quote Originally Posted by soonergolfer View Post
    I loved Campus Corner in my time in Norman, but it’s kind of sad seeing all of those pics and 90% of the buildings are identical to 20 years ago (with the exception of some minor work and paint). I went to Athens, GA earlier this year and was shocked at the difference. There were cranes, construction and new developments going up all around campus. It’s nearly identical population to Norman, but half the area. It would be a pretty sweet college to go to, in all honesty.
    Athens, GA is very similar to Norman and a good model to follow for urban development around the campus.

18. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Martin View Post
    I've never heard of him but I've also never tried to lease property around campus corner. What makes him a bad property owner?
    He has been known as the guy who kept raising rates on Campus corner and forced out all the local favorites over the years. Pretty much been on a downward slide for years as he owned it.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    He has been known as the guy who kept raising rates on Campus corner and forced out all the local favorites over the years. Pretty much been on a downward slide for years as he owned it.
    You can see that with the turnover there. Not making many noticeable updates to the buildings probably doesn't help either.

Heard a rumor that OU might use its power of eminent domain to take some of the individually-owned buildings on Campus Corner. Who knew they had that power?

21. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    Heard a rumor that OU might use its power of eminent domain to take some of the individually-owned buildings on Campus Corner. Who knew they had that power?
    OU has a lot of pull. I work for a govt agency that has lots of aircraft. They wanted to have tail numbers that all ended with the same two letters and the FAA said no. All of OUs tail numbers end in OU. Somebody pulled some strings somewhere.

OU doesn't have the power of eminent domain; that is only for local (like the City of Norman), state or federal governments.

Also, it's very rare (and legally questionable) for the government to forcibly take private property and then have it used for private development. Generally speaking, the new use has to be a public one.

OU doesn't have the power of eminent domain; that is only for local (like the City of Norman), state or federal governments.

Also, it's very rare (and legally questionable) for the government to forcibly take private property and then have it used for private development. Generally speaking, the new use has to be a public one.
    I am pretty sure that OU does have ED ability

and this https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...g/62145813007/

backs it up ..

Kelo v. City of New London held that the use of eminent domain to transfer land from one private owner to another private owner to further economic development does not violate the takings clause of the 5th amendment. The reason being that the use of eminent domain would cause the community to enjoy the general benefit of economic growth and thus qualified as a "public use."
    Last edited by cinnamonjock; 07-28-2023 at 02:27 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    I am pretty sure that OU does have ED ability

and this https://www.oklahoman.com/story/news...g/62145813007/

backs it up ..
    Interesting.

Still, it would be a very shaky legal move to try and take private property and then give it to a private developer.

I suppose that OU could be the owner of the property with some sort of joint-venture with a developer.

Thread Information