Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus Corner

Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerSooner View Post
    I've also heard the "rumor" and from sources that make it more believable than less. But would it be an entire leveling (as I've heard) or target less developed or well-maintained parts of campus corner? Not sure. I do know for a fact that a group of Norman leaders, primarily from the Chamber, went and visited a number of SEC towns and campuses to gauge what they have vs. what we have. From those visits, this idea has sprung. Whether or not this ends up happening, it is 100% true that there are significant movements afoot to expand/upgrade/revitalize retail and commercial areas and opportunities around campus and Norman to support our move to the SEC. The battle cry locally is to be "SEC ready".
    Yeah the entire leveling thing seems full stop stupid. I would imagine some of the newer one story structures might be knocked down to make way for 2 or 3 story structures that better utilize the space or even maybe second stories added to some of the one story buildings but I highly doubt any of the truly historic buildings will be knocked down anywhere down there. Too much vacant and underutilized land in and around that area for that to be approved by the city of Norman.

Here are some areas that could be redeveloped without destroying the existing fabric:

^ I won't stand for this Skinny Slim's Norman erasure, lmao.

I've long advocated for the OU campus, and related services, to migrate closer to downtown Norman. This is something common in SEC towns/cities. A huge opportunity was missed when all the new student housing was placed south of the campus so I have my hopes up that OU and Norman will finally get on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Here are some areas that could be redeveloped without destroying the existing fabric:

I agree with everything on this with exception to the buildings on the west side of Buchanan north of Boyd and several of the buildings on the block bounded by asp, white and Buchanan, especially the bike shop and whatever the La Luna building is now (Nompton social?). That’s a cool old building with housing on the second floor. The buildings on the west side of Buchanan could be selectively removed but you’ll lose some historic charm if you knock down all of them (for example, the Harold’s Square strip mall deal could be removed). Would be better to redevelop the parking lots across the street and add a garage somewhere (like that big parking area between boyd and Buchanan that’s surrounded by buildings).

Also there should be a requirement to bring back Sugars…it’s closing was a travesty (LOL but kind of serious. it’s foulness and cheap beer were charming)

Okay, so I just did some digging and found out this is very real, as several others have said.

Also, it would involve the very heart of Campus Corner, not the periphery.

I am going to work on mapping this out and putting together more details.

It looks like this is going to happen so it's time to start thinking about what should be saved and how a much denser commercial project could be integrated in a way that would be best for all concerned.

Hoping against hope that this isn't curtains for The Deli, though I do fear the worst as all good things must come to an end at some point.

Meant to mention all this was all spooled up by a couple of national developers being attracted by the SEC announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    On another note...looking at the map that Pete posted, I continue to think that it would be a great idea for Norman to work with OU to build a first-class weather museum across the street from the National Weather Center. Meteorology is a rapidly evolving science that's becoming more culturally relevant year-over-year and will eventually justify a museum somewhere. Might as well be here...I think most people would agree that Oklahoma is just about the weather capital of the world, and I think it would have the potential to bring in significant tourism dollars, especially with the inevitable surge in popularity next year that will accompany the premiere of the Twister sequel.
    FWIW, Norman is already home to the National Weather Museum. It is just up near Rock Creek and Flood rather than on campus. It's small, but has a lot of cool history and artifacts from the past century. I recommend visiting!

https://nationalweathermuseum.com/

Okay, so I just did some digging and found out this is very real, as several others have said.

Also, it would involve the very heart of Campus Corner, not the periphery.

I am going to work on mapping this out and putting together more details.

It looks like this is going to happen so it's time to start thinking about what should be saved and how a much denser commercial project could be integrated in a way that would be best for all concerned.
    Yikes.

They better have some pretty beautiful renderings to offer for what is sure to be an absolute firestorm of resistance.

11. Default Re: Campus Corner

Don't mess with the Greek House.

If they use New Traditional Architecture they could scrape the Earth clean for all I care.

Thank you Pete. I look forward to hearing what additional information you find out.

In retrospect, this article from the OU Daily back in March feels like some heavy foreshadowing: https://www.oudaily.com/news/norman-...e08c0dd18.html

Relevant section:

As the Norman Economic Development Coalition continues to roll out its plans, Lawrence said he expects the next few months will be “very high profile.”

Regarding other pending economic developments in Norman, the McKinneys said a pair of companies are currently analyzing Campus Corner to determine the potential of a $300-400 million investment.

The Norman Economic Development Coalition should know how far along those companies are in their analysis between April and June. It is also interested in potentially connecting Campus Corner to downtown Norman via a new commercial strip.

Good work Pete!

Excited about the potential but I've also seen Norman (both residents and city officials) fumble the ball <pun intended> too many times in the past...hopefully this moves forward and is transformational for core Norman and OU.

I'm not sure Norman deserves the reputation of being anti-development. I think they just want really good development and as it pertains to downtown and around the campus, things that adhere to the best practices for urban development. Downtown Norman is both vibrant and done really well and then you have the mega-sprawl of University North Park which serves its own purpose.

Also, even though CC is very full these days, I don't think anyone is happy with a lot of the businesses there. There are a ton of 'clubs' that bring in all types of trouble and keep away more desirable places like quality retail and legit restaurants or even nice campus bars. You've got the worst of OKC down there with places like Kong's (although they were forced out) and Yo! Pablo. It's very similar to what we all see as big problems in Midtown and Bricktown.

This has been percolating for a long time. If someone were to spend hundreds of millions and do this right, there would certainly be some outcry but most would see this could be a transformative opportunity for Norman. Perhaps preserve the southern part of Asp and best things along Boyd and then be much more vertical with housing, hotels, restaurants and retail.

BTW, it appears the developer going forward with these plans is one of the very largest in the entire U.S. and I personally know their CEO and he has very strong ties to Oklahoma and OU.

I'm starting to get excited about this.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    In retrospect, this article from the OU Daily back in March feels like some heavy foreshadowing: https://www.oudaily.com/news/norman-...e08c0dd18.html

Relevant section:
    As first reported by OU Daily....

That is some really awesome news and insight there, Pete. Revitalizing that entire are with new and hip stuff would be really really great. Sure it's nostalgic to go down there now to some of those old places there, but something brand new, exciting, modern, and built for the game-day experience would be a game changer.

Joining the SEC is going to bring so many more dividends to OU, the city of Norman, and the state of Oklahoma than anyone could have imagined. It's unreal the SEC is such a train.

For comparison sake - take a look how much UGA and Athens looks like OU and Campus Corner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Yeah say what you want but a combination of the one and done rule and the arrival of the thunder here has hurt OU and OSU’s basketball attendance. NCAA basketball just isn’t as popular as it was when it was the only game in town here.
    It isn't just here, and it didn't just start with the Thunder. Plus, there are 1.5 million people in the metro area. Way more than enough to regularly sell out both. Not sure why people keep hating on the Thunder and blaming it for bad basketball teams at OSU and OU. Mindless blame and easy targets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by catcherinthewry View Post
    Don't mess with the Greek House.
    Agreed.

23. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    It isn't just here, and it didn't just start with the Thunder. Plus, there are 1.5 million people in the metro area. Way more than enough to regularly sell out both. Not sure why people keep hating on the Thunder and blaming it for bad basketball teams at OSU and OU. Mindless blame and easy targets.
    Myself and a bunch of guys I hung out with in school had season tickets for years after we graduated. We stopped going when OU basketball's style of play became slow and boring. It had nothing to do with one-and-done and was way before the Thunder. I'm sure many other fans felt the same way.

The top photo is the area north of OU; second is the area north of the U of Georgia.

Norman and Athens have nearly the exact same population.

SEC schools by enrollment
    Texas A&M (66,426)
    Florida (49,827)
    Alabama (37,665)
    Georgia (36,574)
    South Carolina (33,575)
    Missouri (33,266)
    LSU (31,414)
    Kentucky (29,727)
    Auburn (28,290)
    Tennessee (28,052)