Widgets Magazine
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus Corner

1. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The only significant change with the move to the SEC will be quite a bit more traveling fans.

The SEC requires a larger block of tickets to be allocated to the visiting schools, and SEC fans are very good about traveling to see their teams.

And with the novelty of Oklahoma and Texas being added to the rotation, I think you'll see lots more visiting fans that any time before.

I've been saying that the area around OU needs many more hotel rooms, not just for football games but for the hundreds of events and activities all year long. OU itself should partner with operators to develop a couple of mid-sized hotels on campus. There is tons of room.

Boren also had the unfulfilled dream of adding housing for alums near the campus. I lived near a college campus in California and it was absolutely fantastic. Great places to walk and tons of things happening: sports, theater, lectures, performances, and much more. If OU wasn't so far from everything I loved in OKC, I'd already be living next to the campus.
    Yes there will be more traveling fans. But the football games already sell out so there can't be more fans. Just an increase in visiting fans. I don't see how this would create a significant enough increase in Campus Corner business potential for anyone to spend a ton of money redeveloping the area.
    I do agree that if someone wanted to develop a new retail/bar/restaurant area the south campus area has lots of unused space. Even without disturbing the nice nature areas.

2. Default Re: Campus Corner

Many, MANY sold seats routinely go empty on game day. There absolutely could be more fans on a weekly basis, simply by driving up real demand (and associated resale) via a visiting fan base that truly travels. OU fans, too, are probably going to be more motivated to go to games thanks to the novelty of seeing new, tougher and nationally prominent opponents. There will likely also be a significant growth in fans who just want to be there to tailgate and who have no plans to enter the stadium (a real thing).

Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Robertson View Post
    Yes there will be more traveling fans. But the football games already sell out so there can't be more fans. Just an increase in visiting fans. I don't see how this would create a significant enough increase in Campus Corner business potential for anyone to spend a ton of money redeveloping the area.
    I do agree that if someone wanted to develop a new retail/bar/restaurant area the south campus area has lots of unused space. Even without disturbing the nice nature areas.
    First, traveling fans come for the entire weekend and stick around, unlike almost all the home fans who just drive home after the game. We are talking about thousands more visiting fans who will be spending very heavily while in town. The pre- and post-game festivities in the SEC are way bigger than the Big 12 and I'm sure that will have an influence on the OU atmosphere.

As Urbanized mentioned, there have been lots of empty seats at OU games mainly because the schedule is so incredibly lame. Never get Texas at home, so what is the big draw? Iowa State? Texas Tech? People just stay home and watch on TV for free.

Secondly, it's not just football. It's basketball (men's and women's) and baseball and softball and soccer and a bunch of other sports.

I also believe very strongly that the move to the SEC will highly elevate OU and Norman's visibility. Much, much bigger viewing audiences. Norman is already growing rapidly.

Even though OU's enrollment is currently at an all-time high, I bet it takes a good jump in the near future. It's already 50% higher than when I went to school there.

4. Default Re: Campus Corner

It is just pretty much just about football. The basketball and baseball venues aren't big enough to really impact local businesses. 80k seats for football is multiple times larger than LNC or the baseball field. Even the new softball field will be a fraction of the football stadium.

It is just pretty much just about football. The basketball and baseball venues aren't big enough to really impact local businesses. 80k seats for football is multiple times larger than LNC or the baseball field. Even the new softball field will be a fraction of the football stadium.
    Football is also 6-7x a year versus hundreds of other sports and events.

That adds up. Almost every time I'm in Norman for whatever reason, I stop by Campus Corner.

I think beyond football lots of things are going to change in Norman as a result of the SEC affiliation.

Sounds like developers may be thinking the same thing.

If OU built a 10,000 seat basketball arena to the north of the track & field complex and put in the effort to getting the program back to the relevance it had in the 80's, that would still have a pretty large impact on local businesses, IMO. Keep in mind that basketball has about 16 home games per year as opposed to 6 for football, so if you could sell out all of those games (which OU was routinely doing at the LNC during the Billy Tubbs era), you're looking at about a third of the total attendance that football games get. Not to mention, women's college basketball is rapidly increasing in popularity. LSU next season will probably be the most talked about team in the history of women's basketball, and OU will be in the same conference as them starting in 2024-25. OU's women's basketball attendance massively lags behind peer schools in the SEC (most home games were far less than half-full last season despite the team being wildly entertaining), and that is something that will need to be fixed regardless of where the team is playing if there's any hope of continuing the positive momentum that the program has started to build since Baranczyk was hired.

All in all, there's a reason why OU continues to try and get the City of Norman to fund an off-campus arena at the University North Park development, they understand what a boon it would be for the rest of that development. Still, my opinion is that building an arena five miles NW of campus would be a massively short-sighted decision and that the best long-term solution would be to raise the necessary donor funds to build a new arena in the vicinity of the football stadium.

On another note...looking at the map that Pete posted, I continue to think that it would be a great idea for Norman to work with OU to build a first-class weather museum across the street from the National Weather Center. Meteorology is a rapidly evolving science that's becoming more culturally relevant year-over-year and will eventually justify a museum somewhere. Might as well be here...I think most people would agree that Oklahoma is just about the weather capital of the world, and I think it would have the potential to bring in significant tourism dollars, especially with the inevitable surge in popularity next year that will accompany the premiere of the Twister sequel.

Not sure how many tickets OU currently provides to visting team but the SEC only requires 2,000 tickets be made available, of which 1,000 must be grouped together in the lower bowl.

Each participating team in a single game are free to enter into their own agreements for additional tickets.

9. Default Re: Campus Corner

Let's just take basketball. This isn't the Billyball era. Right now they average a few thousand seats per game. The whole season doesn't add up to one poorly attended football game. And this league couple years have been the only poorly attended football games in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    Not sure how many tickets OU currently provides to visting team but the SEC only requires 2,000 tickets be made available, of which 1,000 must be grouped together in the lower bowl.

Each participating team in a single game are free to enter into their own agreements for additional tickets.
    Those are minimums.

In practice, lots of schools allocate up to 10K tickets and they pretty much all get sold, as opposed to the Big 12 where almost every school returns a bunch of their tickets even though there are small allocations.

They allocate more for visitors because they want the same consideration in return. There is much more of a travel culture in that conference.

Let's just take basketball. This isn't the Billyball era. Right now they average a few thousand seats per game. The whole season doesn't add up to one poorly attended football game. And this league couple years have been the only poorly attended football games in a while.
    I know, but I'm saying that the OU athletic department has agency and can make basketball games more desirable to attend. OU is still acting like the Thunder don't usually offer a much better product 30 minutes up the road which is a huge part of the reason that the program has languished over the past decade-plus, save for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

Those are minimums.

In practice, lots of schools allocate up to 10K tickets and they pretty much all get sold, as opposed to the Big 12 where almost every school returns a bunch of their tickets even though there are small allocations.

They allocate more for visitors because they want the same consideration in return. There is much more of a travel culture in that conference.
    It helps that many SEC schools are pretty close together or have large alumni bases near by. Alabama to Miss St is only 80 miles. Arkansas has one of the lowest visiting teams fan because they aren't that close to another power-team and the area doesn't attract SEC grads. Playing OU should help that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    I know, but I'm saying that the OU athletic department has agency and can make basketball games more desirable to attend. OU is still acting like the Thunder don't usually offer a much better product 30 minutes up the road which is a huge part of the reason that the program has languished over the past decade-plus, save for the 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

I find it weak to blame the Thunder. OU doesn't do, or not do, anything because of their view of the Thunder. It is uninformed to say they act like the Thunder isn't a better product. There should be enough people in Norman and with students to fill the arena.

Basketball attendance overall in college is low.
    https://cdn.runrepeat.com/storage/ga...901076-720.png

The average for all of Div 1 is only about 4,200 per game. OU averages about 7,500 per game. OSU is slightly higher. It is for darn sure that both would benefit greatly by having above average teams that would play an exciting style. They don't.

OU women's attendance is 43rd in the country at about 2,400. OSU is only about 1,900. They darn sure don't compete with the Thunder. What's the excuse there?

14. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    And that's not likely to change.
    BTW. If it weren't for football we wouldn't even be having a discussion involving OU moving to the SEC because the issue wouldn't exist.

All those weird, small continuing education buildings and other remnants of the army base years.
    That was actually originally a naval base instead of army.

https://www.okhistory.org/publicatio...hp?entry=NO006
    "World War II brought more changes to the city. In 1941 OU, with help from Norman officials, established Max Westheimer Field, a university airstrip, and the next year offered to lease it to the U.S. Navy as a training facility. During the war the airfield became the Naval Flight Training Center, known as north base, and the navy established the Naval Air Technical Training Center (NATTC), known as south base, south of the OU campus. A naval hospital was also established. The north base trained nearly nine thousand men, with the south base training thousands more. In 1946 the navy donated the bases to the university, but in 1952, with the advent of the Korean War, the military utilized the bases in a smaller capacity until 1959. The addition of the government buildings and land helped OU handle the large enrollment increase of the post–World War II era. This also allowed the city to develop, and the 1950 population stood at 27,006."

The NOUN Hotel was the catalyst and University Blvd is ripe for redevelopment and likely where any large-scale development would take place. Also Asp Ave north of White Street and north of Boyd St between Asp and Jenkins.

And that's not likely to change.
    BTW. If it weren't for football we wouldn't even be having a discussion involving OU moving to the SEC because the issue wouldn't exist.
    If it weren't for football all of college sports wouldn't exist. Which would probably be a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just the facts View Post
    If it weren't for football all of college sports wouldn't exist. Which would probably be a good thing.
    lol why would that be "a good thing"

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerinfiniti View Post
    I heard a rumor that a development group from Texas wants to pretty much buy all of Campus Corner and build a huge multi-use retail/residential complex. The rumor says with OU going to the SEC, the game day revenue should increase substantially (They said Tuscaloosa has a $30 million revenue per game day and Norman is $10 million). Pretty wild stuff - anybody hear anything about this?
    I’ve heard the same rumor but also find it extremely hard to believe.

I've also heard the "rumor" and from sources that make it more believable than less. But would it be an entire leveling (as I've heard) or target less developed or well-maintained parts of campus corner? Not sure. I do know for a fact that a group of Norman leaders, primarily from the Chamber, went and visited a number of SEC towns and campuses to gauge what they have vs. what we have. From those visits, this idea has sprung. Whether or not this ends up happening, it is 100% true that there are significant movements afoot to expand/upgrade/revitalize retail and commercial areas and opportunities around campus and Norman to support our move to the SEC. The battle cry locally is to be "SEC ready".

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Amtrak leaves Bricktown for Norman every morning at 8:25am and heads back to OKC about 9pm. That's something.
    which is just about perfect for a 2:30 kick off. I’ve gone to a bunch of games that way and it was really fun. Grab breakfast on main, walk down to campus corner to tailgate then plenty of time (but not too much)to either grab a drink or dinner after the game on campus Corner or Main Street. As long as you don’t need to leave early or get there earlier than 9:00 it makes for a great day.

Look at all this land that could easily be developed... And this is not counting University North Park and the airport and former 'North Base' or Reeves Park right next to campus:

The university also owns nearly all the land between Trout and the train tracks and bordered north/south by Boyd and Brooks. My land lord when I lived down there sold to the university and it appears that they’re about to knock that house down after a few years of renting it. Guessing that will end up being some kind of housing development at some point unless they decide to add more campus buildings there.

There are a number of very large churches with very large parking lots around Campus Corner and south of Main.

I've walked around that area on a Sunday and there are only a handful of cars at any of them.

Similar to First Presby selling/leasing land for Noun, I can see something similar for many of those churches.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I find it weak to blame the Thunder. OU doesn't do, or not do, anything because of their view of the Thunder. It is uninformed to say they act like the Thunder isn't a better product. There should be enough people in Norman and with students to fill the arena.

Basketball attendance overall in college is low.
    https://cdn.runrepeat.com/storage/ga...901076-720.png

The average for all of Div 1 is only about 4,200 per game. OU averages about 7,500 per game. OSU is slightly higher. It is for darn sure that both would benefit greatly by having above average teams that would play an exciting style. They don't.

OU women's attendance is 43rd in the country at about 2,400. OSU is only about 1,900. They darn sure don't compete with the Thunder. What's the excuse there?
    Yeah say what you want but a combination of the one and done rule and the arrival of the thunder here has hurt OU and OSU’s basketball attendance. NCAA basketball just isn’t as popular as it was when it was the only game in town here.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    lol why would that be "a good thing"
    Kerry got beat up by football players in high school.

Thread Information