Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Campus Corner

Default Re: Campus Corner

There are already chains on CC: Chipotle, Fuzzy's, Louie's, etc.

This is the first out-right fast food place, though.

It's going to absolutely kill it there.

Sad. This will not contribute to the CC vibe at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Sad. This will not contribute to the CC vibe at all.
    Actually, it will. College kids love places like this. And since it is so large, and on CC, I would bet they have some additional things not all Cane's have.

Cane's started as a college hangout, so why would that not work on Campus Corner?

Dede Westbrook is opening a new restaurant on Campus Corner:

https://www.facebook.com/EndzoneEats

Nm

Quote Originally Posted by chssooner View Post
    Actually, it will. College kids love places like this. And since it is so large, and on CC, I would bet they have some additional things not all Cane's have.

Cane's started as a college hangout, so why would that not work on Campus Corner?
    I don't accept the premise that college students love hanging out in a place reeking of chicken grease.
    Fail

I don't accept the premise that college students love hanging out in a place reeking of chicken grease.
    Fail
    https://www.redandblack.com/opinion/...24ca0df87.html - from a UGA newspaper

https://www.redandblack.com/opinion/...24ca0df87.html - from a Penn State newspaper

There are more, but I figure 2 VERY large universities spouting the popularity of Cane's speaks enough. I will let you do your own research.

Fail
    I’ve noticed Cains is very popular with the college crowd much like Chick-fil-A. Just wait until it opens and check it out. I bet this place gets overrun. They have one in flagstaff near the university and it’s always packed with college students. Same thing with the Raising Canes in Edmond near UCO.

Fail
    What do you think should go there instead to better meet the lofty basis of college student hangout criteria?

Quote Originally Posted by Mississippi Blues View Post
    What do you think should go there instead to better meet the lofty basis of college student hangout criteria?
    Empire pizza. But my post wasn't what I thought should go in. Or the loftiness of a place.
    CC has done quite well without fast food joints.
    My objection is with it not being a good fit for the district.

Jimmy Johns is also there as is Chipotle and Hurts Donut.

It's a good mix. Tons of full-service restaurants, bars, clubs, shops.

This district needs some residential apartments preferably some micro units.

There are a ton of new apartments between CC and Main Street with more being built all the time.

It's one of the reasons the places on Main Street have done so well with more planned.

I’m talking about directly in the middle of CC.

16. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    There are a ton of new apartments between CC and Main Street with more being built all the time.

It's one of the reasons the places on Main Street have done so well with more planned.
    This. There are plenty of apartments in the general area.

The group I ran with would have loved to have had a couple fast food places on CC in the late 70s . We would have hit some bar to get started. Then hit Raising Canes, Fuzzys, etc. then gone back to bar hopping. Hell, even Mickey Ds, Burger King, Taco Bell, etc. would have been great. Yeah, the CC vibe is a party one and doing so in a special place steeped in tradition. But a struggling college student also has to eat. Most of the guys I hung with didn't have well off parents paying for everything so doing anything above just being there was a struggle.

Empire pizza. But my post wasn't what I thought should go in. Or the loftiness of a place.
    CC has done quite well without fast food joints.
    My objection is with it not being a good fit for the district.
    I’m just going off what you said. I asked what you thought should go in because you implied Cane’s is beneath what college students would frequent, so it made me curious what you thought met the level college students desire.

How it fits the district is a bit different since more than college students go there. My thoughts are that Empire does seem like it would fit CC at large more than Cane’s. There are a few places similar to it but I think Empire would be the best out of the available options. I personally don’t care for Cane’s, though I don’t actively dislike them, but what would be the best fit and what will detract from the area are two distinct things in my opinion.

It’s fair to be disappointed from a personal preference aspect but I don’t expect them to fail or think college students will avoid them because it smells like chicken, though.

Fail
    This makes no sense to me. What restaurant doesn't smell like the food that is being prepared in it?
    Hang out may be the wrong phrase here, how about "stop in to get a meal".
    Has anyone ever seen a Cain's that closed due to poor sales? This place should do well there.

Campus corner continues to add more and more restaurants, bars, hotels, apartments, and shops right next to campus where thousands of students live. So obviously wanting to build a new basketball arena miles away from all of this action in a strip mall parking lot off the interstate makes perfect sense.

HangryHippo Guest

It actually does when you consider student attendance is dogpoop for most of the games. Additionally, lots of people coming from the city on a weeknight don’t want to go all the way to campus for a game.

Quote Originally Posted by HangryHippo View Post
    It actually does when you consider student attendance is dogpoop for most of the games. Additionally, lots of people coming from the city on a weeknight don’t want to go all the way to campus for a game.
    If the arena is within close walking distance there would be more students at games. Building the arena off the highway is 20th century logic, I can’t believe we are even having a discussion about it. Every other university that has an off campus arena has been bringing them back to campus.

22. Default Re: Campus Corner

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    If the arena is within close walking distance there would be more students at games. Building the arena off the highway is 20th century logic, I can’t believe we are even having a discussion about it. Every other university that has an off campus arena has been bringing them back to campus.
    Have you been to an OU BB game in the last 10 years? Back in the 70s, 80s and even 90s students really got into going to games. It was fun to be part of or later watching the student section holding newspapers and yelling "Who cares" as the visiting team was announced. It's not the way anymore. Basing any BB decision on student participation is folly. Even the student section of football games is a joke compared to the 70s, 80s and 90s.

It’s insane how far behind the mentality in the OKC metro area.

The majority of students drive to Ou football games. Basketball is super close and easy yo get To. Moving it by the football stadium would make it harder for everyone to go to games.

Quote Originally Posted by BoulderSooner View Post
    The majority of students drive to Ou football games. Basketball is super close and easy yo get To. Moving it by the football stadium would make it harder for everyone to go to games.
    Then why has literally every university that had an off campus arena brought it back to campus or has plans to? Name one university moving basketball further from campus next to the highway?

Thread Information