Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Flix Brewhouse

Default Flix Brewhouse

I wasn't quite sure about the best place to post this, but it is mainly about entertainment.

http://m.newsok.com/article/5540772

Dinner, a drink and a movie could soon be an all-in-one affair, if Oklahoma's Legislature and governor approve.
    Flix combines the latest Hollywood productions with custom crafted beers and food served “in theater,” on an a la carte basis.
    Each Flix Brewhouse has eight to nine screens, typically, and Silvers said the firm never builds a location with more than 10, as it considers itself to be more of a boutique concept that is following an industry trend to build smaller, more intimate, well-appointed and upscale projects.

Each Flix Brewhouse also has an on-site brewery turning out handcrafted beers.

2. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Not thrilled they want to do that with kids there. I love that I can go to the warren and see a movie with no kids around. The idea of a kid having food and utensils they can throw and clang together sounds horrible to me.

Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Beard Face View Post
    Not thrilled they want to do that with kids there. I love that I can go to the warren and see a movie with no kids around. The idea of a kid having food and utensils they can throw and clang together sounds horrible to me.
    Yep, should be no kids, agree totally!

Downtown OKC really needs something like this.

I don't understand them saying they couldn't do it under current laws.... They'd just need to separate out the adults only seating from the family seating like the Warren.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I don't understand them saying they couldn't do it under current laws.... They'd just need to separate out the adults only seating from the family seating like the Warren.
    I think that's exactly what they want to avoid - having a separate area for 21+. This is an outdated law and there is no reason that something like Flix, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. should be treated differently than a restaurant which serves food/alcohol in an all ages area. I don't see there being much push back once this gets through legislation.

Quote Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
    Downtown OKC really needs something like this.
    Maybe Randy Hogan could do something like that in lower brickto... never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Maybe Randy Hogan could do something like that in lower brickto... never mind.
    Best to keep Randy Hogan developing where his style of development belongs...Memorial Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    I think that's exactly what they want to avoid - having a separate area for 21+. This is an outdated law and there is no reason that something like Flix, Alamo Drafthouse, etc. should be treated differently than a restaurant which serves food/alcohol in an all ages area. I don't see there being much push back once this gets through legislation.
    Are they though? Or is it that they're held to the same food/liquor sales ratios as restaurants and classes of liquor licenses?

Are they though? Or is it that they're held to the same food/liquor sales ratios as restaurants and classes of liquor licenses?
    From the article:

"If adopted, permits could be issued to theaters to sell beer and mixed beverages without requiring those services to be segregated into an adult-only environment."

Blog Entries

I'm under the impression that sometimes businesses negotiate non-compete agreements in their leases regarding similar businesses in an area. If Harkins has something like that then Hogan wouldn't be able to put this in LB. My real world experience with this was when I lived at the Classen (I was in one of the first batch of occupiers, first to live in my unit, etc), we were told we were getting a coffee shop in one of the retail spaces. We eventually got the City Bites but never a coffee shop. When I asked why, I was told by management it was because City Bites had a non-compete clause in their lease and they sell coffee. That said, minus the completely crap hours of that particular City Bites, it was better on average to have them than it would have been to have coffee shop I suspect.

There's a theater called Bagdad in the Hawthorne District in Portland that serves pizza and beer. Fantastic place to spend an evening.

I'm just.... *facepalm*

This is the worst type of click bait. TLO has had multiple articles arguing for the modernization of our liquor laws, and to get them in line with more states. Now when the folks on 23rd do something that does just that, it's "what about the children!" (basically). Alcohol sales are allowed in movie theaters all over the country with no problems. Besides, I know so many folks that smuggle in flasks to movie theaters.

I would bet money if this bill had been vetoed by the governor, there would have been an article lamenting it not passing and attacking her.

Restrictions can always be put into place, like only allowing one drink per transaction. How often are people really going to leave the theater to get a drink?

15. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

I'm just.... *facepalm*
    You do realize that TLO is a satire site? It's all about click baiting.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I know, but look at the comments. They seem to have actually convinced a few people. Not everyone sees it as a satire site. They're a weird mix of the onion and a legit news site, and have some local influence (regretfully).

17. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

I know, but look at the comments. They seem to have actually convinced a few people. Not everyone sees it as a satire site. They're a weird mix of the onion and a legit news site, and have some local influence (regretfully).
    I see the comments and unfortunately they just remind me of how gullible people are.... I believe there is a phrase associated with, though never verified as actually being said by, P.T. Barnum that rings very true in the age of social media..... Perhaps it should even be updated for the faster digital age.... There's a sucker born every nanosecond.

2Lanez Guest

TLO is not entirely satire. They do some actual news and commentary. Now, the quality of each can be debated, but it's definitely not satire only.

19. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Well I definitely don't go there to get news or commentary... They are no different than The Onion to me.... And unfortunately I've seen way too many similar comments left on Onion articles.

WTH is "all about the children" in that article? The takeaway I got was that people are going to drink at movie theaters and possibly/probably get drunk and obnoxious and going to make movie-going even more sh*tty than it is now (which is pretty much the title of the article). I haven't gone to a mainstream movie theater in years because of all the other things that Louis mentioned in the article and the fact that there might be idiots getting drunk there just makes it even more unlikely I'm going to ever set foot inside a movie theater again, except for maybe the MOA one, where idiots and kids just aren't there.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    You do realize you don't know what satire is right?

22. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Quote Originally Posted by gopokes88 View Post
    You do realize you don't know what satire is right?
    You do realize that TLO has admitted on multiple occasions that they are a satire site?

Which I suppose could be satire too.

It's the "what about the children" argument fallacy. Basically manufactured hand wringing over something that likely isn't going to happen and hasn't happened anywhere else. It's not literally "about the children".

I've sat in the balcony in the Warren tons of times and have never had any problems.

24. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Directly from The Lost Ogle about page....

TheLostOgle.com is an independent news and info website that covers the (occasionally) great state of Oklahoma. The content is satirical in nature and may be considered crude, indifferent, irreverent, politically incorrect, tacky, offensive, etc. Basically, think Daily Show meets frat house meets Onion meets Buzzfeed meets Chive, but not nearly that good. If you have a problem with TLO, the satire is working too well or you need to dumb down your sense of humor.

25. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

I've sat in the balcony in the Warren tons of times and have never had any problems.
    Was about to say the exact same thing.

Thread Information