Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Flix Brewhouse

Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Curious to see how quickly we see this pop up. I know there is a Flix in the works right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    Well I definitely don't go there to get news or commentary... They are no different than The Onion to me.... And unfortunately I've seen way too many similar comments left on Onion articles.
    I'm more in agreement with Jerry on this. They are different than the Onion and I can think of at least two examples how they are not just satire . They were involved with opening up the Governors e-mail box and exposing the fact that she was using a private email account to circumvent the open records act. TLO also exposed David Stanley Auto for all the shady dealings they engage in. Stanley was hit with the biggest fine in state history for deceptive practices. Stanley has also been sued for passing off a car that had been totaled as "garage kept". None of the local media outlets have reported any of this. Speculation is that because of the massive ad dollars Stanley pays to advertise, TV/print/radio will not make this a story.
    As far as the article on the drinks in movies. Just because they were advocating to modernize liquor laws does not mean they are in agreement with what the legislature intercepts as what that means. One can be in favor of cold beer in the liquor store while opposing liquor where boorish behavior is common with cell phones and loud talking during the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I've sat in the balcony in the Warren tons of times and have never had any problems.
    No doubt, as have I. One must also consider that the increased premium charged to sit in the balcony reduces the riff-raff element.

4. Default Re: Flix Brewhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    I'm more in agreement with Jerry on this. They are different than the Onion and I can think of at least two examples how they are not just satire .
    Once again... From their about page...

TheLostOgle.com is an independent news and info website that covers the (occasionally) great state of Oklahoma. The content is satirical in nature and may be considered crude, indifferent, irreverent, politically incorrect, tacky, offensive, etc. Basically, think Daily Show meets frat house meets Onion meets Buzzfeed meets Chive, but not nearly that good. If you have a problem with TLO, the satire is working too well or you need to dumb down your sense of humor.
    If you don't want to take them at their word that's fine.... I'm not getting my news from there and that last sentence is pretty much why.

While I am not getting all my news from there I also realize that a site can evolve. A site can be majority satire and still have relevant articles. Pete providing a link to the TLO when they called out the conflict OKC has in the "name the park" contest and the poll conducted by the Daily Oklahoman. Pete did not qualify the link as the TLO being strictly satire. Again, the reader has to have the ability to separate the relevant from the satirical.

And this piece was definitely not written as a satire piece. I honestly believe it's Fowler's opinion on the subject.

I've only gone to movie theatres that serve alcohol for the last 6 years (since I moved out of Oklahoma), and in the 20 or so movies I've been to I cannot remember a single problem arising due to alcohol. I really enjoy having a beer during a movie. It enhances the experience for me.

Agreed. As are the articles on Stanley Auto Group, Fallin e mails, etc. Like I wrote earlier, you can be in favor of modern liquor laws but not support all the separate proposed laws on same. I think one needs to put the article or articles in perspective and not just unilaterally dismiss everything that is published.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    I'm just.... *facepalm*

This is the worst type of click bait. TLO has had multiple articles arguing for the modernization of our liquor laws, and to get them in line with more states. Now when the folks on 23rd do something that does just that, it's "what about the children!" (basically). Alcohol sales are allowed in movie theaters all over the country with no problems. Besides, I know so many folks that smuggle in flasks to movie theaters.

I would bet money if this bill had been vetoed by the governor, there would have been an article lamenting it not passing and attacking her.

Restrictions can always be put into place, like only allowing one drink per transaction. How often are people really going to leave the theater to get a drink?
    The article was satire, making fun of all the articles against liquor modernization (SQ 792) and medical marijuana. On the Internet however, a certain subset of people tend to take satire articles seriously. There was one after the SCOTUS gay marriage decision that stated Obama issued an executive order to change the American flag to the rainbow flag. It was satire, but it made significant angry rounds on Facebook among people who fell for it.

So, just to chime in here...

I think one thing that makes TLO work is that it's hard to describe. I say it's a mix of news, opinion and satire, and it's up to the individual reader to decide which is which.

Also, I don't have a problem with beer and alcohol in movie theatres. At least now now I won't have to sneak it in anymore. As our resident film buff, I emailed Louis to see if he wanted to write about the topic, and that's what he sent me. Whether you agree or disagree, it's almost always a great read.

Thanks for reading my clickbait site!

Crickets

Quote Originally Posted by okcpatrick View Post
    So, just to chime in here...

I think one thing that makes TLO work is that it's hard to describe. I say it's a mix of news, opinion and satire, and it's up to the individual reader to decide which is which.

Also, I don't have a problem with beer and alcohol in movie theatres. At least now now I won't have to sneak it in anymore. As our resident film buff, I emailed Louis to see if he wanted to write about the topic, and that's what he sent me. Whether you agree or disagree, it's almost always a great read.

Thanks for reading my clickbait site!
    Heh. Just to be clear, my problem is with Louis' take, not TLO (and I know Louis from way back). But thanks for joining in.

Here is a view of Flix from Broadway Extension:

So red!

Are they keeping those fugly cedar trees?

Walls are going up. Also, the new Dolese HQ has started in the upper left corner of the 2nd photo.

Have they released how many screens this will have? Can't say I've ever been to a Flix, but between the Warren's, Alamo Drafthouse, and Studio Movie Grills I've been too, this seems awfully small. All 3 of those mentioned had rather larger theaters, with a bunch of space to eat and drink in your seat.

So going only off of that, I'm having a hard time seeing this place having more than maybe... 4 or 5 screens? It's not a problem or anything, just means it might be tough to get tickets for.

9 auditoriums with a total theater capacity of 950.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    9 auditoriums with a total theater capacity of 950.
    Ah, bigger than I thought. Awesome. Forget everything I said, haha.

Good to see 4 walls up and roof. Takes forever when your not using raised walls.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    Good to see 4 walls up and roof. Takes forever when your not using raised walls.
    So an interesting point to mention about the contractor, he comes from up north and said he uses these big tents in order to run large heaters to construct the walls and such throughout the winter season. What he didn't think of was the wind we have. Since I work in the tower I see this site everyday. The crew put up the large tents one day and after 24 hours it was half missing and the rest was torn to shreds. The contractor had to push back his timeline to wait for warmer temps.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    So an interesting point to mention about the contractor, he comes from up north and said he uses these big tents in order to run large heaters to construct the walls and such throughout the winter season. What he didn't think of was the wind we have. Since I work in the tower I see this site everyday. The crew put up the large tents one day and after 24 hours it was half missing and the rest was torn to shreds. The contractor had to push back his timeline to wait for warmer temps.
    Very interesting, thanks for the insight!

Thread Information