Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789

Thread: Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Default Re: Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Being slightly lazy here since I could research it myself, but thinking that some of y'all might know off the top of your heads - what can I get here that's really good that I can't get at Szechuan Story (so much of the menu are the same items)?

^There is some overlap with Szechuan Story, but there are also a lot of differences, with Formosa emphasizing the street food items such as the bacon wrapped mushrooms, Taiwanese sausages, etc.

Also, some of the dishes on both menus are prepared quite differently. For example, I've had the spicy green beans at both and I liked the ones better at Formosa (I liked the spice and texture better at the latter). Also, I think the scallion pancakes are prepared differently; the ones at Formosa were great, almost like bites from a wrap with thinly sliced cucumbers, scallions, and hoison inside (yummy). (BTW I really like Szechuan story too).

Place was pretty quiet when I was there, so let's show them support if you think it's a worthy addition to 23rd!

Quote Originally Posted by OKProf View Post
    ^There is some overlap with Szechuan Story, but there are also a lot of differences, with Formosa emphasizing the street food items such as the bacon wrapped mushrooms, Taiwanese sausages, etc.

Also, some of the dishes on both menus are prepared quite differently. For example, I've had the spicy green beans at both and I liked the ones better at Formosa (I liked the spice and texture better at the latter). Also, I think the scallion pancakes are prepared differently; the ones at Formosa were great, almost like bites from a wrap with thinly sliced cucumbers, scallions, and hoison inside (yummy). (BTW I really like Szechuan story too).

Place was pretty quiet when I was there, so let's show them support if you think it's a worthy addition to 23rd!
    Great info, thanks! It looked like it was just a bunch of the same stuff, so didn't want to duplicate ordering anything that we had at Szechuan Story, but now we know better...

I just wanted to say how unbelievably excellent the food was at this place. I've never thought much of cucumbers. I like them just fine, but they are not exactly sexy.

Boy was I WWWRRROOOONNNNGGGGGG. The cucumbers as prepared at Formosa are a gift straight from the gods! I went about 2 weeks ago and I am still thinking of them. They are probably a Top 50 dish in all of Oklahoma City....and they're "just" cucumbers!!!!!

^

Highly underrated place... All their food is very good.

And the owners are super nice dudes.

Is Szechuan Story open? Went last night and it was closed with a note (not in English) taped to the door.

Facebook indicates that they ran into some plumbing issues, that may or may not have been resolved.

I have to give another deserved shout-out to Formosa Street Food. I was there with a business client last night and the place was packed with young folks, vibrant atmosphere (hearing audible music is always a plus), and great food and service (we sat at the bar). Drink service was prompt and friendly. Appreciate the multiple options for Asian beers.

It's clear that this place is hitting the market it is going for and will only grow in appeal over time. Already their operations are up to par; the food was always good from day one.

It's so refreshing to have an abundance of tasty and healthy options to choose from at affordable prices.

We need more casual but sophisticated choices like this in OKC as opposed to the overblown hipster joints, many of which have failed or are in various stages of failure.

My work colleague was there a couple of weeks ago also and he said it was packed when he visited, too. Very happy for them and happy to have them in OKC.

The owner (Ivan) is just the nicest person you'll ever meet and their food is so good.

I'm glad to hear they've found their audience.

I hope they have found their audience. Every time I've gone, the food is excellent and the service is great. It's different for OKC and we need that.

They cater lunches at Paycom every other week or so, and that generates a nice chunk of change for anyone who gets to do so.

Finally ate there last night and it more than lived up to the hype. Due to rampant boosterism in this town I am always skeptical of restaurants that folks rave about but this place more than exceeded my expectations. One of the better and more unique meals I have had in OKC. And really not expensive either.

For anyone who enjoys Formosa, I would recommend trying Mi Xian in Midtown (in the old Gogi Go location).

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorTaco View Post
    Finally ate there last night and it more than lived up to the hype. Due to rampant boosterism in this town I am always skeptical of restaurants that folks rave about but this place more than exceeded my expectations. One of the better and more unique meals I have had in OKC. And really not expensive either.
    I think this forum is pretty good about opinions when it comes to food. Unsure what boosterism is, but can generally guess and if I"m right don't see it here.

Thread Information