Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Default Re: Scottie's Deli

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, HunnyBunny is a breakfast concept, so it's logical they would only be open until 2:00 PM, and I dunno what Ur/Bun's deal was, I don't think they ever figured it out. As someone said, a (good) pizza place in Ur/Bun's spot would probably kill it.
    I know for a fact if HunnyBunny was opened later I would visit more. I just am not in the area until later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by PaddyShack View Post
    I drove all the way from Yukon at least once a week for Ur/bun when it was steam buns, then they switched hands and blew up their menu, went once and never went back.
    Yeah, I work less than a mile from the Tower and I visited Ur/Bun at least once a paycheck for lunch.... until they switched things up. When the menu changed, my interest waned significantly.

Then the rest in OKC must be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy sad, 'cos when I had it, it wasn't anywhere close to a good, much less best, Cuban. However, when my wife had it some months before I did, it was decent, but still nowhere close to the best.
    It's unfortunate that the really good Cuban food truck (I forget the name, but they used to be on the NW corner of N May & Grand) seems to have closed up shop.

Blog Entries

Someplace Else may not be the best but it's good and cost effective and reliable. Love (and will miss) the new places, but I'd be okay with a few more places like Someplace Else as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    It's unfortunate that the really good Cuban food truck (I forget the name, but they used to be on the NW corner of N May & Grand) seems to have closed up shop.
    Yeah, had one from there and it was decent too, they closed a year or two ago when the garage they were parked at turned into a home design store and a dispensary next to it. Don't think we've ever had any as good as the ones we had in Naperville, IL at a long-gone Cuban restaurant.

Someplace Else's food = 5 on a quality level (1-10, 10 being highest), Scottie's = 8.5 (when they first started), not really even comparable. And yes, Scottie's prices reflected that quality. Personally, we think Someplace Else is in between Subway (2) and Neptune's (6-ish).
    What an exceptionally bad opinion of a fantastic sandwich shop!

My strong personal opinion aside, Scottie's just wasn't consistent enough for their price point.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    What an exceptionally bad opinion of a fantastic sandwich shop!

My strong personal opinion aside, Scottie's just wasn't consistent enough for their price point.
    I've eaten at sandwich shops all over the country, and Someplace Else is average, which is what 5 is on a 1-10 scale, and average does not equal "exceptionally bad" to pretty much anybody except you ("exceptionally bad" is a 1 or 2, Subway level). And yes, what you're saying about Scottie's seems to be pretty much what everybody (including me) thinks is a major reason behind their closing.

I went there the other day and while the food was as good as always, it also took forever to get my food, which was half a sandwich and soup. They were kinda busy but there were a lot of other people waiting for a long time too. Not the only time it had been that slow. I'll still miss the place though.

I've eaten at sandwich shops all over the country.
    You say this as if that is a rare thing. I too have had sandwiches from shops all over the country and my opinion is still different than yours, sir. Safe travels!

Hopefully the sign can stay. It’s nice:
    https://youtu.be/mJDRklBbdIo

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
    Hopefully the sign can stay. It’s nice:
    https://youtu.be/mJDRklBbdIo
    and that concludes my exposure to the local news for the year 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    and that concludes my exposure to the local news for the year 2020.

Drove by today and saw a sign up outside of Scotties Deli. Can’t remember the name, but looks like a new concept.

14. Uptown/23rd Re: Scottie's Deli

Quote Originally Posted by warreng88 View Post
    Drove by today and saw a sign up outside of Scotties Deli. Can’t remember the name, but looks like a new concept.
    Unwind Cafe

Blog Entries

So first you go to play cafe, then unwind cafe?

16. Default Re: Scottie's Deli

Quote Originally Posted by John Knight View Post
    Unwind Cafe
    https://kfor.com/news/local/trailer-...-for-business/

In the interior shot, it looks like they are adding a small bar to the right.

Anybody know their hours? And does "all day brunch" mean only until they close at 2 (as it so often does) or "all day", assuming they're open past 2?

Anybody know their hours? And does "all day brunch" mean only until they close at 2 (as it so often does) or "all day"?
    They aren't even close to opening yet as you can see from the photos and the posted article that reports all their new kitchen equipment was stolen.

Interesting menu.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They aren't even close to opening yet as you can see from the photos and the posted article that reports all their new kitchen equipment was stolen.
    That reminds me, was going to ask about this - is it normal for trailers full of restaurant equipment to not be insured? I'm assuming it wasn't because they can't afford to replace it. Seems weird to have the smarts and money to afford to open a restaurant, but not to insure a trailer full of stuff?

Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

Why can a legit deli not succeed in the metro?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    Why can a legit deli not succeed in the metro?
    The Lunch Box offered excellent deli items and only went out because their building was leveled.

Scottie's wasn't really a deli, similar to The Lunch Box. Were we do get one, I think it could / would succeed if it was more traditional. Location would obviously be huge.

I really liked Scottie's for the most part, although at times their pastrami was over-seasoned and insanely salty.

That reminds me, was going to ask about this - is it normal for trailers full of restaurant equipment to not be insured? I'm assuming it wasn't because they can't afford to replace it. Seems weird to have the smarts and money to afford to open a restaurant, but not to insure a trailer full of stuff?
    I'm guessing it is normal. I don't know exactly how equipment "in transit" would be placed on a policy? Seems to me that business insurance would be written after construction. And most small restaurants are bootstrap operations, so finding free capital for equipment theft insurance is pretty far down the list.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    The Lunch Box offered excellent deli items and only went out because their building was leveled.

Scottie's wasn't really a deli, similar to The Lunch Box. Were we do get one, I think it could / would succeed if it was more traditional. Location would obviously be huge.

I really liked Scottie's for the most part, although at times their pastrami was over-seasoned and insanely salty.
    Yeah, I'm not hung up on whether a place makes their own cold cuts or cheeses. Just give me a place with quality breads, quality meats, pickles and other unique items one would find in a deli in a typical city.

Thread Information