Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

Do you like ND foods?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Do you like ND foods?
    i was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. they've been around for more than a decade and have survived through some pretty heavy road construction on britton. personally, i think they're the best deli sandwich in the metro, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    i was going to say EXACTLY the same thing. they've been around for more than a decade and have survived through some pretty heavy road construction on britton. personally, i think they're the best deli sandwich in the metro, hands down.
    Definitely get what you pay for in terms of quantity. I preferred Scotties, but am glad they're around.

Blog Entries

5. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

Went this last weekend to try it out. Definitely a place I will go back to. Had the Sweet Elena and Parmesan Truffle Fries. Basically a turkey sandwich with cream cheese and strawberry jam. Lots of flavors. The Tiramisu was delicious. This family is kind and helpful. It was almost completely full inside.

Anyone been here lately. Thinking about going here for lunch next trip to the City but wanted opinions first.

Quote Originally Posted by rjstone208 View Post
    Anyone been here lately. Thinking about going here for lunch next trip to the City but wanted opinions first.
    I went to Unwind Cafe a few weeks ago, I had a recommendation to try the Cuban Sandwich. It was terrific and it came with a side of Belgian Fries. It's bit pricey for a sandwich but worth it. I will definitely go back.

Gonna have to try it then, been looking for a good Cuban in the Metro ever since the Cuban food truck around May & Grand closed a few years back (I forget the name of the place, sorry).

Quote Originally Posted by SEMIweather View Post
    Gonna have to try it then, been looking for a good Cuban in the Metro ever since the Cuban food truck around May & Grand closed a few years back (I forget the name of the place, sorry).
    They had decent ones, but the Unwind one doesn't look authentic (cream of mustard, brioche), so be aware of that. I've been looking for a good Cuban sandwich ever since we moved back to OKC in 2009, haven't really found a good *and* authentic one.

10. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

I have not been yet but I spotted this Cuban place a few weeks ago....

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Pa....5535401?hl=en

It's not completely authentic, but Picasso Cafe's cuban is one of my go to orders there.

Finally made it to Unwind last weekend - service was a bit slow due to staffing shortages (they posted a warning on the door) but the food was very solid! An interesting menu but will definitely go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger S View Post

Interesting - they actually don't have a Cuban sandwich on the menu, but there's a pic of one on Yelp (the bread doesn't look promising, though).

13. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

If you go to the Online Order part of the page the menu is more extensive and you will see the sandwich option there.

I was disappointed they don't have picadillo.

If you go to the Online Order part of the page the menu is more extensive and you will see the sandwich option there.

They do have "Cuban ground beef" which is likely the same thing.

I love picadillo; I make it sometimes myself.

Gotcha, thx. Bread still doesn't look right in the Yelp pic, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    They do have "Cuban ground beef" which is likely the same thing.

I love picadillo; I make it sometimes myself.
    We tried a recipe from Milk Street a year or so ago, and it was amazing, thanks for reminding us we need to make it again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    We tried a recipe from Milk Street a year or so ago, and it was amazing, thanks for reminding us we need to make it again.
    Dont tease us,,,,,share the recipe?

Yes, I've been wanting to give Paladar a try for a Cuban.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepnokc View Post
    Dont tease us,,,,,share the recipe?
    Luckily it's a "Tuesday Night" recipe, not one of their regular dozens-of-steps recipes, so it's a little bit simpler.

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    2 yellow onions, finely chopped
    2 tsp kosher salt, divided
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
    1/2 c raisins, chopped
    2 Tbs tomato paste
    1 Tbs cumin seeds
    1 tsp dried oregano
    3/4 c water
    1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
    3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, finely chopped
    3 Tbs olive brine
    1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced

Heat oil over medium-high in a large non-stick skillet until just smoking, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt, cook, stirring until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beef, cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains. Stir in raisins, tomato paste, cumin seeds, dried oregano, and 1 1/2 tsp salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water and bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in tomatoes, olive brine and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Luckily it's a "Tuesday Night" recipe, not one of their regular dozens-of-steps recipes, so it's a little bit simpler.

2 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    2 yellow onions, finely chopped
    2 tsp kosher salt, divided
    6 garlic cloves, minced
    1 1/2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
    1/2 c raisins, chopped
    2 Tbs tomato paste
    1 Tbs cumin seeds
    1 tsp dried oregano
    3/4 c water
    1/2 c pimento-stuffed green olives, chopped
    3 plum tomatoes, cored, seeded, finely chopped
    3 Tbs olive brine
    1/2 c fresh cilantro, minced

Heat oil over medium-high in a large non-stick skillet until just smoking, add onions and 1/2 tsp salt, cook, stirring until browned, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in beef, cook, breaking it up into small pieces, until no pink remains. Stir in raisins, tomato paste, cumin seeds, dried oregano, and 1 1/2 tsp salt and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in water and bring to a simmer, then reduce to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the water has evaporated, about 7-9 minutes. Stir in olives and cook until heated through, about 1 minute. Off heat, stir in tomatoes, olive brine and cilantro. Taste and season with salt and pepper and serve.
    Sounds delicious Thanks

21. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

I don't know who the cook was that was sitting around thinking "Hey this ground beef dish is pretty good but I think adding raisins would take it to the next level." was...... But they were a freaking genius!

I don't know who the cook was that was sitting around thinking "Hey this ground beef dish is pretty good but I think adding raisins would take it to the next level." was...... But they were a freaking genius!
    We've been subscribing to Milk Street since they started about 5 years ago, and the amount of recipes they have that do that kind of weird juxtaposition is amazing, and almost all of them work as good as the picadillo (which, yes, I know, has been using raisins in it millennia before Milk Street started )!

23. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

We went today for brunch, and had an overall great experience. I had the Cuban, and the chimichurri fries and she had the Washington Square hot plate. The Cuban was great, albeit not exactly what I picture as traditional. He uses a mustard cream sauce vs. yellow mustard and the bread was more like a roll - but I really liked it. We both agreed the chimichurri fries were some of the best fries we’ve ever had. The chimichurri was lightly coating the fries vs. the sauce I envisioned, but I could have just had those for a meal and been happy. The service was great, and the interior had a nice update from Scottie’s. I look forward to going back soon.

24. Default Re: Unwind Cafe (formerly Scottie's Deli)

Does anybody know how/if they handle cross-contamination with the tree nuts? I've got an allergy and there's only two(ish) sandwiches on the menu that don't have tree nuts, so I'm curious.
    Also curious if the pesto on the Mikel Angelo has pine nuts. I sent an email last week but haven't heard back yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sooner88 View Post
    We went today for brunch, and had an overall great experience. I had the Cuban, and the chimichurri fries and she had the Washington Square hot plate. The Cuban was great, albeit not exactly what I picture as traditional. He uses a mustard cream sauce vs. yellow mustard and the bread was more like a roll - but I really liked it. We both agreed the chimichurri fries were some of the best fries we’ve ever had. The chimichurri was lightly coating the fries vs. the sauce I envisioned, but I could have just had those for a meal and been happy. The service was great, and the interior had a nice update from Scottie’s. I look forward to going back soon.
    Wow, I had to glance at your username to make sure I hadn't written this myself. My wife and I had the exact items you did, albeit I had the Washington Square and my wife the Cuban. We also ordered a side of the chimichurri fries as well as the truffle fries. However, we each tried each other's items.

I'm no expert on Cuban sandwiches, as others here seem to be, but the owners are actual Cubans and the sandwich was absolutely delicious.

I agree that the chimichurri fries are among the best fries I've ever eaten in OKC, or really anywhere period.

The plating and flavor layering of the Washington Square was excellent, as is the house coffee.

Also, the place just feels like something you would find in a much larger American or European city. Very cosmopolitan and yet earthy, as many NYC or Parisian places are.

We loved everything about it as well as the owners and staff.

Thread Information