Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Formosa Street Food and Bar (formerly Unwind Cafe)

Default Re: Scottie's Deli

Yeah this one is not surprising but is a bummer. Loved what they were trying to do and hopefully someone will be successful with it in the near future. We still haven't convinced ourselves (this problem isn't limited to OKC) that it's ok to pay a premium for high quality versions of food that we historically perceive as "cheap."

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

I'm sure they just couldn't provide the quality and portions at a price point that people will pay in this town.

They were trying to do everything from scratch, which is highly ambitious.
    Good point, but I just can't reconcile that people wouldn't pay the prices at Scottie's for high-quality, made-from-scratch food, yet they'd pay the prices at Sandwich Club for something that isn't even in the same universe as Scottie's (at least when Scottie's started). And yeah, I know they're both gone, but point still stands.

Other places do the made-from-scratch thing all the time and succeed, not sure why they didn't, but anyway, hope he does well in the future...

I don't think Sandwich Club ever had a fraction of the business and of course, they failed too.

While its very cool to have places like this, or Maples and Buttermilk take urban district locations. I cant help but wonder if concepts like those would have a better shot at success in a more suburban, higher car traffic, plenty of parking locations type of location. We have seen the success of Clark Crew, and Maples was at least as good as Clarks, yet they struggled in the Plaza. I know its not as cool to go in a basic shopping center but that may be something thats better suited for the masses.

Regardless, props to all these people who take a risk to bring us good food and add to our cool neighborhoods.

Again, it's really bizarre to use examples like Maple's as failing because they were in an urban, not suburban, environment when all the restaurants around them are killing it in the same environment.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Good point, but I just can't reconcile that people wouldn't pay the prices at Scottie's for high-quality, made-from-scratch food...
    I'd point out any thread that involves bbq, or specifically ganache patisserie. Granted Ganache is still in business *knocks on wood*.

best cuban around

Quote Originally Posted by DBCooper View Post
    best cuban around
    Then the rest in OKC must be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy sad, 'cos when I had it, it wasn't anywhere close to a good, much less best, Cuban. However, when my wife had it some months before I did, it was decent, but still nowhere close to the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    I'd point out any thread that involves bbq, or specifically ganache patisserie. Granted Ganache is still in business *knocks on wood*.
    Ha, another good point, which reminds me, we've got a $25 gift card to Ganache we need to use (before it gets too hot so our stuff doesn't melt on the way home).

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    While its very cool to have places like this, or Maples and Buttermilk take urban district locations. I cant help but wonder if concepts like those would have a better shot at success in a more suburban, higher car traffic, plenty of parking locations type of location. We have seen the success of Clark Crew, and Maples was at least as good as Clarks, yet they struggled in the Plaza. I know its not as cool to go in a basic shopping center but that may be something thats better suited for the masses.

Regardless, props to all these people who take a risk to bring us good food and add to our cool neighborhoods.
    Has there never been a restaurant close on Memorial?

We never go to the plaza because we hate the parking issues. I know for a fact we're not the only people that don't go there for that reason, so there could be something said for that.

Quote Originally Posted by MagzOK View Post
    We never go to the plaza because we hate the parking issues. I know for a fact we're not the only people that don't go there for that reason, so there could be something said for that.
    At the same time, part of the district's success and why it appeals to people that do go there is that it isn't just a big parking lot. I don't think I've ever had to park more than a block or two off 16th and, honestly, when I do, I usually enjoy the walk. So, what some may see as a "parking issue", some enjoy as a feature of the district.

I don't usually go to Memorial because I don't like its parking issues. That is, if you want to go to more than one place, you usually have to move your car and park again each time and, once you do park, whatever walking you're doing is just walking past other parked cars and nothing else. I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who doesn't go there for that reason, as well.

The best part of it is, though, we now have choices. Both traditional walk-able neighborhood districts and strip mall parking lot areas are available and successful in OKC. Not so much 20 years ago. We really only had the latter at that point.

Each format does present different situations for their merchants, which means different solutions and/or business models may be needed. But, in both cases, potential success or failure isn't exclusively based on the environment or setting.

I cant help but wonder if concepts like those would have a better shot at success in a more suburban, higher car traffic, plenty of parking locations type of location.
    Maybe they would, but it's not like these districts aren't drawing business in general.

Really, when we're talking about restaurants, there are so many factors at play. Many, many quality and even popular restaurants don't make it. Given that the inventory literally spoils, even one brief misstep in anticipating demand can really put a strain on operations, no matter how good the food is or how popular it normally is.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post

Buddha Tao/Bikinis/some southern restaurant. All the same building. Also the place that fungs branched off into. Does Wes Welker's count?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Vu View Post
    Buddha Tao/Bikinis/some southern restaurant. All the same building. Also the place that fungs branched off into. Does Wes Welker's count?
    I wonder if it was lack of parking or lack of car traffic that led to the ultimate demise of those establishments. Perhaps both?

I wonder if it was lack of parking or lack of car traffic that led to the ultimate demise of those establishments. Perhaps both?
    I'd have to imagine traffic. Pub W is going strong, I ask if Wes welkers' counts cause it's essentially the same parent company. May and Memorial is one of the busier intersections. Salt grass is getting along okay. Not sure how/why

If Someplace Else Deli is in existence, I'm not going someplace else. Scottie's was fine, but a much higher price point than Someplace Else.

Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Again, it's really bizarre to use examples like Maple's as failing because they were in an urban, not suburban, environment when all the restaurants around them are killing it in the same environment.
    Im not saying this for all restaurants, as of course many Plaza restaurants appear to do good business. But I suspect not all restaurants work well in Plaza or uptown 23rd. Maples made great bbq and good bbq will draw from all over, and many of those folks may not know about plaza or are turned off by it. For Scotties, its mostly a lunch concept and lunch people need easy quick access and I bet many dont perceive thats the case with that location.

This is just speculation on my part. Lots a factors go into a successful restaurant, its not just that they can make good food. I once again give props to all these operators for putting their time and money into making our city better.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    If Someplace Else Deli is in existence, I'm not going someplace else. Scottie's was fine, but a much higher price point than Someplace Else.
    Someplace Else's food = 5 on a quality level (1-10, 10 being highest), Scottie's = 8.5 (when they first started), not really even comparable. And yes, Scottie's prices reflected that quality. Personally, we think Someplace Else is in between Subway (2) and Neptune's (6-ish).

Im not saying this for all restaurants, as of course many Plaza restaurants appear to do good business. But I suspect not all restaurants work well in Plaza or uptown 23rd. Maples made great bbq and good bbq will draw from all over, and many of those folks may not know about plaza or are turned off by it. For Scotties, its mostly a lunch concept and lunch people need easy quick access and I bet many dont perceive thats the case with that location.

This is just speculation on my part. Lots a factors go into a successful restaurant, its not just that they can make good food. I once again give props to all these operators for putting their time and money into making our city better.
    Scottie's could've been a dinner concept too - they have hundreds of people walking right by them 3-4 (or more) nights a week going to the Tower, and we used to eat there before a Tower show (park in the lot across 23rd an hour before the show when parking is still available, walk across 23rd, eat, walk 10 steps next door to the Tower). Maybe folks going to the Tower don't eat right before a show, or eat elsewhere and then drive to the Tower, I don't know, but it seems like lots of restaurants would kill for that much foot traffic literally feet from their door and do as much as they could to pull people in.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Scottie's could've been a dinner concept too - they have hundreds of people walking right by them 3-4 (or more) nights a week going to the Tower, and we used to eat there before a Tower show. Maybe folks going to the Tower don't eat right before a show, or eat elsewhere and then drive to the Tower, I don't know, but it seems like lots of restaurants would kill for that much foot traffic literally feet from their door and do as much as they could to pull people in.
    Ur/bun couldn't make it work there and Honey Bunny is not open in the evenings.

Well, HunnyBunny is a breakfast concept, so it's logical they would only be open until 2:00 PM, and I dunno what Ur/Bun's deal was, I don't think they ever figured it out. As someone said, a (good) pizza place in Ur/Bun's spot would probably kill it.

Just saying that there have been 2 other restaurants at the Tower and they don't get any/much dinner business either.

Hasn't been just a Scottie's issue.

Just saying that there have been 2 other restaurants at the Tower and they don't get any/much dinner business either.

Hasn't been just a Scottie's issue.
    Yep, agreed, seems weird with that much foot traffic, as I said, I guess folks just show up for the show and then leave. Wonder if Backdoor BBQ has shown any uptick in business since the Tower reopened (that's about the only restaurant left on that block on that side, I think, don't know how much business they normally do, we didn't like them and have only eaten there once)?

I drove all the way from Yukon at least once a week for Ur/bun when it was steam buns, then they switched hands and blew up their menu, went once and never went back.

Thread Information