Widgets Magazine

Thread: Bill Paxton passes away at 61

Default Bill Paxton passes away at 61

Terrible news. Great actor and director. Among his many Hollywood films, I really enjoyed the HBO series Big Love. All around great artist. I'm sorry for his family as this was unexpected as well as him being so young.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ead/index.html

Default Re: Bill Paxton passes away at 61

Loved him and almost everything he was in.

Sad news. He was a true talent.

Complications from a surgical procedure. That's why I've always contended there's no such thing as a "minor" procedure.

Heck, we were literally watching Titanic last night where he played a rather dubious fortune hunter. And I love "Apollo 13" where he was puking on moment, and ready to "eat the *** out a dead rhinoceros" the next. Tremendously underrated actor - very sad.

5. Default Re: Bill Paxton passes away at 61

From TMZ:

"We're told Paxton underwent heart surgery and had complications post-op and suffered a fatal stroke."

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post
    Complications from a surgical procedure. That's why I've always contended there's no such thing as a "minor" procedure.

Heck, we were literally watching Titanic last night where he played a rather dubious fortune hunter. And I love "Apollo 13" where he was puking on moment, and ready to "eat the *** out a dead rhinoceros" the next. Tremendously underrated actor - very sad.
    Having just had a minor surgical procedure I disagree. I was in and out in 30 mins and had a beer that night. I'm out of work for 2 weeks but it couldn't have gone smoother. Sounds like this was some heart surgery so I wouldn't classify it as minor.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Having just had a minor surgical procedure I disagree. I was in and out in 30 mins and had a beer that night. I'm out of work for 2 weeks but it couldn't have gone smoother. Sounds like this was some heart surgery so I wouldn't classify it as minor.
    My point is that if you go under, even for an out-patient, 30-minute procedure, there's a non-zero risk of complications - sometimes fatal complications. It's very easy to dismiss a procedure as "minor." Perhaps from a medical perspective it is, but for everyone who died from complications arising from one, not so much. No idea what Paxton's procedure was.

My point is that if you go under, even for an out-patient, 30-minute procedure, there's a non-zero risk of complications - sometimes fatal complications. It's very easy to dismiss a procedure as "minor." Perhaps from a medical perspective it is, but for everyone who died from complications arising from one, not so much. No idea what Paxton's procedure was.
    The rewards certainly outweigh the risks, even in major complex procedures of vital organs such as the heart, brains, and lungs success rates are amazing. It's like flying- the risk of the procedure going wrong is lower than the car drive to the appointment. I have great faith in our medical knowledge and skill of modern day.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    The rewards certainly outweigh the risks, even in major complex procedures of vital organs such as the heart, brains, and lungs success rates are amazing. It's like flying- the risk of the procedure going wrong is lower than the car drive to the appointment. I have great faith in our medical knowledge and skill of modern day.
    Well, faith is an entirely different discussion. I'm glad the medical folks I've dealt with (rarely, fortunately) took more of my approach to it. When I had a "minor" surgery several years ago, and watched them hook up all manner of heart and other monitors to me, I said, "All this for a minor outpatient procedure?" The anesthetist replied, "none of these procedures are minor to us." Made me feel a lot better

Surprisingly, I was watching 'Aliens' on Saturday night but did not find out about this until around 5pm Sunday. RIP Paxton.

Well, faith is an entirely different discussion. I'm glad the medical folks I've dealt with (rarely, fortunately) took more of my approach to it. When I had a "minor" surgery several years ago, and watched them hook up all manner of heart and other monitors to me, I said, "All this for a minor outpatient procedure?" The anesthetist replied, "none of these procedures are minor to us." Made me feel a lot better
    Yeah, I got stuck with a needle to take a liver sample... took all of 2 minutes. However, I was on so many monitors, the entire process took hours because of the time to hook everything up and remove everything.

Bill Paxton did not die from a "minor surgical procedure." He died from a stroke 11 days after having aortic valve replacement surgery and having an aortic aneurism repaired. This is open heart surgery where your breast bone is split open and a piece of your heart is cut out and either a valve from an animal, cadaver, or artificial valve made of metal is sewed in. I had the same surgery three years ago. I spent 12 days in the hospital because I had a min-stroke on the 7th day. I have a metal valve so I have to take blood thinners the rest of my life. It takes about two months to get back to work after having this surgery.

Bigray in Ok

Thread Information