Widgets Magazine
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: OKC Regional Transit System

Default Re: OKC Regional Transit System

You must be talking about Oncue #117 I thought you were talking about Oncue #107 also on Sooner Road.

Regardless, they are going to have to sell a lot of coffee at that location to maintain the 200+ square miles of city east of I-:35

An area more than twice the size of Boston just on the east side of I-35 to maintain and we are talking about coffee sales of one gas station. I think we start seeing the problem now

2. Default Re: OKC Regional Transit System

couldn't have said it better. Having that 'area' skews the numbers and makes OKC less efficient because they have to serve the area which bring little to nothing to the table.

DEANNEX!!!!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by GoGators View Post
    You must be talking about Oncue #117 I thought you were talking about Oncue #107 also on Sooner Road.

Regardless, they are going to have to sell a lot of coffee at that location to maintain the 200+ square miles of city east of I-:35

An area more than twice the size of Boston just on the east side of I-35 to maintain and we are talking about coffee sales of one gas station. I think we start seeing the problem now
    You said that there isn’t anything east of I-35 and that the entire area doesn’t collect enough taxes to pay for a single pothole.

I listed just one store east of I-35 that alone more than likely pays for at least two potholes, and I ignored many businesses that are much larger and have much more impact. Because even one gas station collects more than the entire area of OKC east of I-35 like you argued.

To add: I’m not arguing that the rural outskirts of OKC are anywhere close to self sufficient or anything like that, or that they deserve the same everything as the core. I just don’t see them as useless non-contributing sectors of the city, and especially the focus on “east of I-35” comes across as having some demographic undertones even if that isn’t intended that way.

No demographic undertones intended. I’d advocate for De-annexing Gaillardia as much as anywhere in the city. It’s not about who lives where or how affluent an area is. Its just math

Blog Entries

No demographic undertones intended. I’d advocate for De-annexing Gaillardia as much as anywhere in the city. It’s not about who lives where or how affluent an area is. Its just math
    So, you pick ONE neighborhood of which you are probably totally unfamiliar with the developments on all sides of, and claim that it isn’t against a demographic. I call BS. Why not single out other neighborhoods farther out, more remote, less connected, but of a different demographics? What’s your REAL beef with Gaillardia?

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So, you pick ONE neighborhood of which you are probably totally unfamiliar with the developments on all sides of, and claim that it isn’t against a demographic. I call BS. Why not single out other neighborhoods farther out, more remote, less connected, but of a different demographics? What’s your REAL beef with Gaillardia?
    Haha really? I was just using an example of an affluent area to say my east of I-35 example had nothing to do with demographics.

I would de annex everything that lies north and west of the turnpike and Hefner parkway. There is that better? I don’t have any “beef” with an area of OKC. What a strange thing to say. How does someone have “beef” with a neighborhood?

Yikes.

Straw man
    Not sure you know what a straw man is. You said "Why would a city make it easier for someone to live outside of them" the opposite of easy is hard, which to the fullest extent is blocking.

That OnCue is in Del City.
    Actually, that is OKC based on the map on OKC's webstie. The Boeing buildings are also OKC and they run thousands of dollars a day through food trucks. And the Heart Hospital

*There are two OnCues on Sooner near Tinker, one is Del City and one is OKC.

Haha really? I was just using an example of an affluent area to say my east of I-35 example had nothing to do with demographics.

I would de annex everything that lies north and west of the turnpike and Hefner parkway. There is that better? I don’t have any “beef” with an area of OKC. What a strange thing to say. How does someone have “beef” with a neighborhood?
    So you don't think the Quail Springs area pays for itself? How about the huge chunk of land south of the turnpike, north of 44, East of 77 and West of 35? Nothing but towers and a dog kennel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Not sure you know what a straw man is. You said "Why would a city make it easier for someone to live outside of them" the opposite of easy is hard, which to the fullest extent is blocking.
    You are literally describing a straw man argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
    Actually, that is OKC based on the map on OKC's webstie. The Boeing buildings are also OKC and they run thousands of dollars a day through food trucks. And the Heart Hospital

*There are two OnCues on Sooner near Tinker, one is Del City and one is OKC.

So you don't think the Quail Springs area pays for itself? How about the huge chunk of land south of the turnpike, north of 44, East of 77 and West of 35? Nothing but towers and a dog kennel.
    Sounds good to me.

Blog Entries

Just curious what neighborhood you live in and how much it costs the city to own. At least Gaillardia is a gated community and thus takes care of its own streets. It takes care of its own common areas. And, I dare say the property taxes more than makes up for their cost of existing. So, what is it that you think makes them a candidate for deanexation?

Just curious what neighborhood you live in and how much it costs the city to own. At least Gaillardia is a gated community and thus takes care of its own streets. It takes care of its own common areas. And, I dare say the property taxes more than makes up for their cost of existing. So, what is it that you think makes them a candidate for deanexation?
    Well Rover what you just don’t get is that it’s a rich suburban gated community which means they are evil and don’t pay taxes.

You’re are completely missing the point. The city collects zero in property tax so that is completely irrelevant to the discussion. How many times does this have to be stated on this thread before people understand this?

Stop taking things personally, I’m not saying any area is bad or any area is better than another. I’m just saying okc is way to large and needs to shrink in order to be financially viable. There are great areas in every corner of the metro. I’m just saying not all of these areas have to be in the city limits. Oklahoma City does not need to be 621 square miles. It can’t properly function at 621 sq miles. It’s not even a hard concept to understand. It’s math. Does that mean the areas on the outskirts are evil? No. Are the people who live there bad? Of course not. What is so controversial about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonic Panda View Post
    Well Rover what you just don’t get is that it’s a rich suburban gated community which means they are evil and don’t pay taxes.

Straw man

Oklahoma City does collect property taxes:

https://www.okc.gov/departments/finance/taxes

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    Oklahoma City does collect property taxes:

https://www.okc.gov/departments/finance/taxes
    Property taxes finance General Obligation Bonds, which voters approve for specific capital projects. It is a common misconception that property taxes help pay for the City’s core services. Although this is true in many states, cities and towns in Oklahoma are not allowed to levy property taxes for day-to-day operations.

Straw man
    It would be if I were being serious.

You’re are completely missing the point. The city collects zero in property tax so that is completely irrelevant to the discussion. How many times does this have to be stated on this thread before people understand this?

Stop taking things personally, I’m not saying any area is bad or any area is better than another. I’m just saying okc is way to large and needs to shrink in order to be financially viable. There are great areas in every corner of the metro. I’m just saying not all of these areas have to be in the city limits. Oklahoma City does not need to be 621 square miles. It can’t properly function at 621 sq miles. It’s not even a hard concept to understand. It’s math. Does that mean the areas on the outskirts are evil? No. Are the people who live there bad? Of course not. What is so controversial about this?
    You are wanting OKC to be something its not. You should embrace our city as laid out. Otherwise maybe this is the wrong city for you? You could consider NYC or LA as they are compacted lay outs? This layout diversity is what makes OkC a great city. I don’t understand those who want to reconstruct our city land size. It seems to be some don’t like the folks who don’t live in the core and would prefer a small 10 square mile city.

Quote Originally Posted by OKC Guy View Post
    You are wanting OKC to be something its not. You should embrace our city as laid out. Otherwise maybe this is the wrong city for you? You could consider NYC or LA as they are compacted lay outs? This layout diversity is what makes OkC a great city. I don’t understand those who want to reconstruct our city land size. It seems to be some don’t like the folks who don’t live in the core and would prefer a small 10 square mile city.
    OKC is definitely the right city for me. I love OKC. I live in OKC. I should move because I want OKC to reach its full potential? How does that make sense?

Property taxes finance General Obligation Bonds, which voters approve for specific capital projects. It is a common misconception that property taxes help pay for the City’s core services. Although this is true in many states, cities and towns in Oklahoma are not allowed to levy property taxes for day-to-day operations.
    That’s a lot of words, none of which say “sorry I was wrong about Oklahoma City collecting zero dollars from property tax”.

Quote Originally Posted by d-usa View Post
    That’s a lot of words, none of which say “sorry I was wrong about Oklahoma City collecting zero dollars from property tax”.
    Those aren’t my words. Those words are directly copied from the link you posted.

The city collects zero in property tax so that is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
    Your (wrong) words.

The city does, in fact, collect property taxes.

Blog Entries

There are many non contributing areas much closer in. Should we de-annex them? What is your criteria... only distance from an arbitrary center point? Services used vs revenue generated? Should we de-annex everything east of Broadway Ext because it costs too much to pump water over that distance from Lake Hefner water supply? What exactly is your criteria?

By the way, where do you live again?

Thread Information