Widgets Magazine
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Mayoral Election 2018

Default Re: Mayoral Election 2018

Ed is the most progressive person on the council. He will not be endorsed by big business or the Chamber, but he cares about walkable urban development that benefits everyone in the city and growing an economy of the future. His campaign challenged Mick to focus more on neighborhoods and quality of life issues. Ed understands that Big League cities have good public transportation, a social safety net, and embrace diversity. His mayoral run was about 10 years ahead of its time for OKC, but considering how blue the city voted in the last local elections and the wave of populism in our country, perhaps his time has come.

Quote Originally Posted by krisb View Post
    Ed is the most progressive person on the council. He will not be endorsed by big business or the Chamber, but he cares about walkable urban development that benefits everyone in the city and growing an economy of the future. His campaign challenged Mick to focus more on neighborhoods and quality of life issues. Ed understands that Big League cities have good public transportation, a social safety net, and embrace diversity. His mayoral run was about 10 years ahead of its time for OKC, but considering how blue the city voted in the last local elections and the wave of populism in our country, perhaps his time has come.
    I don't think there's *ever* a time coming for Shadid. At least I hope not.

Ed probably is our most Progressive critic on council. You're right, he won't be endorsed by big business or by the Chamber. And he probably shouldn't be.

I agree with you that he cares about walkable urban environments. He does care about economic diversification. However, demonizing Oil & Gas is probably going to cost him quite a few votes even if he may be right about many of the issues surrounding those resources.

His campaign might have challenged Mick. However, the Mayor was already working on neighborhoods and arguably many of the initiatives he has championed affect quality of life for the greater city. Presenting it otherwise is disingenuous.

If demonizing the streetcar system and pitting bus advocates against streetcar advocates is his strategy for getting a better public transit system, many of us will continue to be unable to support his campaign. We want to work collectively together to build a better, more comprehensive public transit system.

No argument on a social safety net and embracing diversity here. We must also address mental health issues and further criminal justice reform. Those issues are underserved and dramatically under-addressed.

Ed might come close to winning. It is entirely possible if this election is clouded by partisanship and irrelevant issues.

And there is your problem, assuming that all blue voters in OKC would just vote for Ed. That's incredibly false. Look on this board alone and you can tell that's not the case. There is no need to make our city elections partisan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I understand the point I think you're making, but damn, at some point the rural parts need to understand that without OKC and Tulsa, there isn't a them for the most part.
    Not to add to the divide, but Okie rural voters are not a very intellectually vigorous group.

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    ... There is no need to make our city elections partisan.
    They'll become partisan in today's environment, no matter what, sadly.

I believe there is a major divide forming over people even on the left. A lot of the Bernie crowd is disavowing the Democratic Party and creating fissures there. And a lot of the "angry" people are actually center left to centrist Democrats. How might that play out? Hard to say now. I think it's worth noting that Councilman Shadid publicly supported Jill Stein, even though she was not on the ballot in Oklahoma -- yes, the woman who had dinner with Putin and Flynn and said Trump would be better for America than Hillary. Meanwhile, Holt publicly condemned Trump completely and has never gone back on it. So it is very difficult to see how "partisan politics" would play a role a year from now in a nonpartisan OKC mayoral race.

Quote Originally Posted by soonerguru View Post
    So it is very difficult to see how "partisan politics" would play a role a year from now in a nonpartisan OKC mayoral race.
    I disagree. It isn't difficult at all. You are hyper-educated and that is the difference. Even I didn't know about Putin and Jill Stein. This comes down to if partisan politics is made an issue. I don't know Brian Maughn and how ruthless he may or may not be in an election such as this.

Holt officially announced.

Ed doesn't understand compromise or leadership. I consider myself a fairly progressive Democrat and I'm supporting David Holt, who understands both.

Quote Originally Posted by betts View Post
    Ed doesn't understand compromise or leadership. I consider myself a fairly progressive Democrat and I'm supporting David Holt, who understands both.
    Well said. I would volunteer to knock doors and put out signs for Holt but I'm not sure anyone in Denver would be able to vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Holt officially announced.
    Do you think Mick will endorse him? I could see that as being very beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Pioneer View Post
    I disagree. It isn't difficult at all. You are hyper-educated and that is the difference. Even I didn't know about Putin and Jill Stein. This comes down to if partisan politics is made an issue. I don't know Brian Maughn and how ruthless he may or may not be in an election such as this.
    My brief encounters with Brian have been very positive. I feel like he doesn't stand a chance against David due to name recognition, however... Brian has been vital to OK County, and has really been great on some city-level policies like graffiti removal.

Blog Entries

I've known Brian for about a decade. Good dude and would work hard for the people. I just don't know what how his county work translates in ways that I care (most) about, such as urbansim and downtown. Guess I just need to ask him...

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    Do you think Mick will endorse him? I could see that as being very beneficial.
    Seeing how Holt was once Mick's chief of staff, I would say he will get that endorsement.

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Seeing how Holt was once Mick's chief of staff, I would say he will get that endorsement.
    Speaking of endorsements, he just posted 450 of them from a wide range of people from across the spectrum (from Brad Henry to Wayne Coyne to Larry Nichols).

http://holtformayor.com/david-holt-o...-endorsements/

David Holt OKC Mayoral Campaign Announces 450 Endorsements
    March 1, 2017
    Today, the campaign to elect David Holt the next Mayor of Oklahoma City unveiled a diverse and bipartisan list of 450 endorsements. They are former governors, current and former councilmembers and legislators, business leaders, educators and teachers, community activists, and citizens from all walks of life. Together, the supporters represent the initial members of David’s “ONE OKC” Team.

“The support we are receiving is incredibly diverse,” said David Holt. “It comes from every part of Oklahoma City. This group represents my vision for a city that sets aside its differences and works together for the greater good. This team we already have is truly reflective of ‘One OKC.’”

The endorsements include:

Former Governor Brad Henry and former Governor Frank Keating
    City Councilmembers Meg Salyer, John Pettis, and Mark Stonecipher
    County Commissioner and former Councilmember Willa Johnson
    Business leaders Larry Nichols, Harold Hamm, Gene Rainbolt, David Rainbolt, Greg Love, George Records, Brad Naifeh
    Civic leaders Rhonda Hooper, Percy Kirk, Steve Hahn, Dave Lopez, Carl Edwards, Bob Ross, Brad Krieger, Lou Kerr, Dick Tanenbaum, Judy Hatfield, David Jackson, Bob Funk, Jr., Tim McLaughlin, Bob Spinks, John Kennedy, Rick Moore, Patrick Rooney
    State Treasurer Ken Miller and Labor Commissioner Melissa Houston
    State legislators Stephanie Bice, Cyndi Munson, Elise Hall, Chris Kannady, Greg Treat, Ervin Yen, Adam Pugh, Anthony Sykes, Anastasia Pittman, Tammy West, A.J. Griffin, Rob Standridge, Tess Teague, Mike Osburn
    Former U.S. Congressman Dan Boren and former Corporation Commissioner and County Commissioner Jim Roth
    Former Councilmembers Pat Ryan, Gary Marrs, Guy Liebmann and Walt Morris
    Local legends Bart Conner, Jane Jayroe, Greg Burns, Wayne Coyne, Steven Drozd, Kyle Dillingham, Rand & Jeanette Elliott, Dr. Carlan Yates, Nancy Miller
    Newspaper publishers Russell Perry and Vicki Gourley
    Arts advocates Jim Tolbert, Dick Sias, James Pickel, Scott Booker, Deborah Senner, Peter Dolese, Terri Cooper, John Seward, Jim Loftis, Stephen Kovash, Renzi Stone, Julia Kirt, Susan McCalmont, Eddie Walker
    Education leaders Robert Henry, Tracy McDaniel, Fred Rhodes, Renee Porter, Valerie Couch, Becky Haliburton, Carrie Coppernoll Jacobs, Dr. Reggies Wenyika
    Community volunteers, activists and leaders Mary Pointer, Tricia Everest, Polly Nichols, Sally Starling, Michael Laird, Steve Mason, Harry Wilson, Vinh Nguyen, John Yoeckel, Nathaniel Harding, Leslie Batchelor, Jeff Bezdek, Pam Henry, Kris Steele, Jan Peery, Andy Moore, Brenda & Jorge Hernandez, Laura Massenat, Edie Roodman, Xavier Neira, Kadir Akkus, Cher Golding, Kim Funk, Rabbi Ovadia Goldman, Mary Melon
    Dozens of small business owners like Kevin Perry, Bruce Rinehart, Tracey Zeeck, Teresa Moisant, Brett Brewer, Brent Brewer, Beverly Morgan, Ba Luong
    And hundreds more…

Dang, now that is hitting it aggressively. Makes you wonder just how much was planned in advance of Mick's announcement.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Dang, now that is hitting it aggressively. Makes you wonder just how much was planned in advance of Mick's announcement.
    I personally don't believe in coincidences. This is all most likely part of the plan.

Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Holt began meeting and telling people he was running several weeks ago. He also purchased the domain for his website months ago. He would not have done any of that had Cornett not given him a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by king183 View Post
    Holt began meeting and telling people he was running several weeks ago. He also purchased the domain for his website months ago. He would not have done any of that had Cornett not given him a heads up.
    Plus, when we was being interviewed on the radio last week, he mentioned that he had looked closely at running last time if Cornett hadn't run, so had a lot of the planning in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Plus, when we was being interviewed on the radio last week, he mentioned that he had looked closely at running last time if Cornett hadn't run, so had a lot of the planning in place.
    I (personally) believe that Cornett ran last year just to keep Shadid out. MAPS3 was still in its earlier stages of implementation and we needed stability and vision to keep the work going. Now that MAPS3 is well underway, in the slim chance Shadid or someone else who doesn't believe in the vision of the program wins; we will still be getting what we were promised.

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    That is correct. The mayor only recently decided that he wanted to move on. Holt was prepared but it wasn't pre-ordained.

I have a lot of respect for David Holt as a pro-growth Republican who cares about legislation that moves our city and state forward. He is a breath of fresh air compared to other Republicans in the legislature. That being said, I hope the mayoral race stays competitive and allows for healthy discussion of issues and perspectives. When 450 people have already endorsed him publicly this early it gives me cause for concern. Does no one care about what the other potential candidates have to say? Will there be room for public debates or will that be considered a waste of time like the last mayoral election?

For Oklahoma City to truly become a major league city we need to make serious investments in public transit, public health, public safety, placemaking, neighborhood walkability, affordable housing, and diversifying the local economy. Urbanist principles have largely been abandoned in our new downtown developments as parking garages, slick skyscrapers, and megablock structures take over prime real estate. Our bicycle lanes downtown are hardly utilized as they lead to and from nowhere. Visitors still can't get to and from the airport without taking a car.

Perhaps there is more than one way forward.

Blog Entries

If you've gone to any of the 2017 GO bond meetings you've seen that there is a crapton of proposals on the table for more bike lanes throughout the core, more buses being purchased, routes expanding, frequencies increasing, more spokies stations, more sidewalks, etc. Not that that ends the discussion, but a non-trivial portion of what you seek will be at least somewhat addressed (not completed, just in the pipeline) before the next mayor election even occurs.

While I agree it's interesting to see how many folks are flocking to Holt's ticket, I do also think he has the integrity to stand up for what's right for the city and its people. He's been doing so at the state level, not sure why he'd stop at the city level.

Thread Information