Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon

Default Re: Amazon

Come on OKC city leaders!!!!! lol

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/07/amaz...h-america.html

Amazon launches search for a second headquarters in North America
    Amazon on Thursday said it plans to open a second company headquarters in North America.
    The online retailer is soliciting pitches from cities and states for what it calls HQ2.
    Amazon estimates its investments in its Seattle operations from 2010 through 2016 resulted in an additional $38 billion to the city's economy.

Amazon said it would prioritize bids from metropolitan areas with more than one million people; regions that provide a "stable and business-friendly environment"; urban or suburban locations with the potential to attract and retain strong technical talent; and communities that "think big and creatively when considering locations and real estate options."

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    What is Amazon HQ2?

Amazon HQ2 will be the second Amazon headquarters in North America. We are looking for a location with strong local and regional talent—particularly in software development and related fields—as well as a stable and business-friendly environment to continue hiring and innovating on behalf of our customers.

Can you even imagine the amount of incentives required to land this HQ2?

Seems like this has Austin (or Atlanta) written all over it.

Our central location in the country should be a bonus for Oklahoma. I really wish and hope that our leaders will think big and make an effort. Can you imagine how this would completely revolutionize our state. Wow...what might be...what could be!!!

^

I was excited about this also; however, one of Amazon's main requirements is that the new HQ be within 45 minutes from an International airport. And although Will Rogers calls itself a world airport (this is being said in jest), I'm not sure how the city gets over this hump.

Requires mass transit and an international airport.

We should do those things anyway!

7. Default Re: Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    What is Amazon HQ2?

Amazon HQ2 will be the second Amazon headquarters in North America. We are looking for a location with strong local and regional talent—particularly in software development and related fields—as well as a stable and business-friendly environment to continue hiring and innovating on behalf of our customers.

Can you even imagine the amount of incentives required to land this HQ2?

Seems like this has Austin written all over it.
    Yes I sure feels like a fit for Texas.

Though I could see Amazon wanting an East Coast HQ to go along with their Seattle HQ.

Hell for all we know they could just use California.

8. Default Re: Amazon

double post error.

We can go compete for it and maybe we'll get it maybe not. They are already familiar with okc because of the facility they are building so that's a plus. If I had to guess I bet Dallas or Fort Worth gets it though.

Yeah, it looks like we don't meet the standards but what's the worst that would happen if we threw our hat in the ring anyway? They would tell us no. That's the worst. Alternatively, they might not tell us no and like our central location and work with us on not meeting the standards. I think if Amazon did build HQ2 here, our airport becoming international would follow that pretty quick.

Who do we need to tell or forward this to?

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    Yes I sure feels like a fit for Texas.

Though I could see Amazon wanting an East Coast HQ to go along with their Seattle HQ.

Hell for all we know they could just use California.
    Yea, I suppose anything is possible. Perhaps they would locate it in OKC if we traded the Thunder back to Seattle?

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Yeah, it looks like we don't meet the standards but what's the worst that would happen if we threw our hat in the ring anyway? They would tell us no. That's the worst. Alternatively, they might not tell us no and like our central location and work with us on not meeting the standards. I think if Amazon did build HQ2 here, our airport becoming international would follow that pretty quick.

Who do we need to tell or forward this to?
    Probably Mary Fallin, or Mick Cornett (City-level). Could be wrong, though.

The proximity to an international airport is only a "core preference" on the RFP. I know it says site requirement, but again that is listed under their preferences.

Honestly I wish OKC owned the Producers Coop site. That would be a mighty gift. Or we could gift them the CCC block.

Oh and I like the joke about giving them the Thunder. I thought this would be entertaining to discuss, and so far it has been!

The lack of international airport and mass transit would be just two of the issues and not even the biggest obstacles. Amazon would need a huge educated workforce to support their R&D and tech departments. I just don't think we have the population to support their needs. And the city is always trying to get big players to come to the city, I don't think you have to worry about Amazon not coming here because the city didn't try.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    The lack of international airport and mass transit would be just two of the issues and not even the biggest obstacles. Amazon would need a huge educated workforce to support their R&D and tech departments. I just don't think we have the population to support their needs. And the city is always trying to get big players to come to the city, I don't think you have to worry about Amazon not coming here because the city didn't try.
    Didn't try? I thought the process was just beginning, not already over.

North Carolina would be my bet. Either Raleigh or Charlotte. Or possibly a Midwest city like Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

Blog Entries

This is what will kill us if we tried to compete with the likes of DFW, Chicago, Boston, etc for this gig...

We are looking for a location with strong local and regional talent—particularly in software development and related fields

If you're in the tech hiring business you know why I say this. I'm not just talking about run of the mill developers. We lack a certain depth in particular areas (doesn't mean we have zero talent, we just don't have as much as other areas). One example is Oracle. We have plenty of DBAs, but there are deeper Oracle skills that are just really hard to find here, in any sort of quantity, and sometimes folks will simply not move here because there are plenty of those sorts of jobs where they are.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    This is what will kill us if we tried to compete with the likes of DFW, Chicago, Boston, etc for this gig...

If you're in the tech hiring business you know why I say this. I'm not just talking about run of the mill developers. We lack a certain depth in particular areas (doesn't mean we have zero talent, we just don't have as much as other areas). One example is Oracle. We have plenty of DBAs, but there are deeper Oracle skills that are just really hard to find here, in any sort of quantity, and sometimes folks will simply not move here because there are plenty of those sorts of jobs where they are.
    Bingo, Amazon is a company who is trying to get on par with Google. We don't really have large software companies here in OKC. Paycom is the largest I can think of. We mostly have call centers providing desktop support.

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Didn't try? I thought the process was just beginning, not already over.
    I just find it funny that Amazon launches a PR campaign stunt and everyone is like OMG the city better get on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    Oklahoma does not have the leadership on any level to pull something like this off. They never try for automobile, R&D or anything else. 2-300 jobs is a big deal to them and a major headquarters out of the question. You expect too much from the leadership in the State.

As much as we would all love this, Amazon is not going to ask 50,000 people to come work for them in a place that has terrible schools.

Quote Originally Posted by jn1780 View Post
    I just find it funny that Amazon launches a PR campaign stunt and everyone is like OMG the city better get on this.
    But it's a defeatist attitude to just say "Don't even try because we'll never get it anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by pickles View Post
    As much as we would all love this, Amazon is not going to ask 50,000 people to come work for them in a place that has terrible schools.
    Sure, but most of the people working at Amazon's headquarters probably make enough $$ to afford private schools. I'm sure Seattle's private schools are filled with the offspring of Amazonians.

The bigger questions are the (1) lack of skilled people and the (2) King's Ransom the city/state would have to pay, either in direct subsidies, tax abatements, or both.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    Oklahoma does not have the leadership on any level to pull something like this off. They never try for automobile, R&D or anything else. 2-300 jobs is a big deal to them and a major headquarters out of the question. You expect too much from the leadership in the State.
    I'm curious to know what future leaders OK has on the rise you would consider able to dream this big...

Quote Originally Posted by chuck5815 View Post
    Sure, but most of the people working at Amazon's headquarters probably make enough $$ to afford private schools. I'm sure Seattle's private schools are filled with the offspring of Amazonians.

The bigger questions are the (1) lack of skilled people and the (2) King's Ransom the city/state would have to pay, either in direct subsidies, tax abatements, or both.
    I don't know if I would say most, There is a large support staff who don't make nearly as much as some of the more skilled workers. Amazon would still like a local government that values education.

Thread Information