Widgets Magazine
Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Amazon

Default Re: Amazon

seems to be picking at straws to me. Sudden workplace deaths happen everyday .I suspect the ratio/ percentage of deaths happening at Amazon are consistent with other large employers. Sometimes the big guy on the block is just easier to criticize.

Quote Originally Posted by dcsooner View Post
    seems to be picking at straws to me. Sudden workplace deaths happen everyday .I suspect the ratio/ percentage of deaths happening at Amazon are consistent with other large employers. Sometimes the big guy on the block is just easier to criticize.
    That is not what I took away from the article posted. Yes, work place deaths occur everday. What I took away was yhe indifference shown to this worker in getting prompt medical attention verses the hyper scrutiny shown when the worker makes an error in putting the wrong product in a bin.

Amazon will soon have 6 facilities in OKC

As we were first to report, Amazon is planning another 1 million square foot distribution center just north of the 2.5 million facility they opened last summer.

New Amazon delivery center (DOK3) at McArthur and SW 44th
    [prbreak][/prbreak]

Now, the largest retailer in the world is in the process of opening two more delivery facilities, one in Southwest Oklahoma City and the other near Tinker Air Force Base.

An existing smaller delivery warehouse is located at I-35 and Hefner.

The two new locations will be 121,700 square feet at SW 44th and MacArthur and a 146,000 operation at 6801 S. Air Depot.

New Amazon delivery center (DOK4) at 6801 S. Air Depot

The primary role of the delivery stations is to sort packages for outbound routes to enable 'last mile' delivery to customers within a defined urban area. Deliveries are generally performed by multiple local courier companies that are contracted by Amazon to service specific routes and also by independent Amazon drivers.

When added to the Sortation Center that opened in 2019, that brings the Amazon Oklahoma City total to six facilities built or planned, all in the last two years.

Amazon also operates one distribution center and one delivery center in Tulsa.

Combined, the facilities in Oklahoma City will provide fast delivery of online orders. Amazon Prime members can expect most items in two days with next day delivery increasingly available.

The Seattle-based company is now one of the largest non-government employers in Central Oklahoma, soon to have almost employ approximately 3,500 workers.

Amazon distribution centers near Will Rogers Airport

Amazon sortation center (OKC5)

That’s pretty impressive that they are already becoming one of the largest employers in central Oklahoma.

Every morning I see Amazon trucks leaving a facility near 33rd & Kelley in Edmond, but I don't see that on the map. Do you know if that's just a vehicle storage place or another delivery center?

I think you mean 3400 S. Kelly which is home to Petra Industries, a wholesaler.

They provide drop-ship orders (mainly electronics) for Amazon and several others including Target and Walmart.

Fun fact: that warehouse was built and used by TG&Y.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I think you mean 3400 S. Kelly which is home to Petra Industries, a wholesaler.

They provide drop-ship orders (mainly electronics) for Amazon and several others including Target and Walmart.

Fun fact: that warehouse was built and used by TG&Y.
    The Amazon vans all park at the far east end of the parking lot. I assumed they were just using that as a secure location to park at night.

I'm sure those vans are running items to the fulfillment center all day.

I'm sure those vans are running items to the fulfillment center all day.
    I don't know... there are dozens that leave every morning between 7 and 8, and they head east on 33rd. Some turn south on Broadway, some head east on 33rd, and I've seen a few head north on Broadway. I don't think they'd use their branded, small delivery-size trucks to run material from Petra down to the fulfillment center - they'd use larger trucks? I think I've seen space for lease type signs on the Petra building, I wonder if Amazon has some space rented there for now as well?

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    I don't know... there are dozens that leave every morning between 7 and 8, and they head east on 33rd. Some turn south on Broadway, some head east on 33rd, and I've seen a few head north on Broadway. I don't think they'd use their branded, small delivery-size trucks to run material from Petra down to the fulfillment center - they'd use larger trucks? I think I've seen space for lease type signs on the Petra building, I wonder if Amazon has some space rented there for now as well?
    May be going to one of the delivery centers; there is one at I-35 and Hefner.

I know for a fact that Petra does a lot of business with Amazon.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeEffect View Post
    It just seems like it’s a hub for Edmonds deliveries, over the Petra package collectors. Looks like a fed ex, ups center when their drivers all leave en mass

Quote Originally Posted by JDSooners View Post
    It just seems like it’s a hub for Edmonds deliveries, over the Petra package collectors. Looks like a fed ex, ups center when their drivers all leave en mass
    Yes, as I said, they drop-ship small electronic items for a lot of major retailers.

Amazon just launched an on-line pharmacy.

Yet another business that would be far easier through on-line and home delivery and I've already registered. Beats the heck out of having to go into a store and stand in line with a bunch of sick people.

They continue to innovate. Such an impressive company.

How did the registration go for you? It seemed buggy for me, and after each step of the signup process I had to keep choosing my profile and reentering my pin, and then it got stuck on the "looking up insurance" step. I'm thinking it's getting hit pretty hard today which is good for them, but I may have to try it again later.

I agree though... this is a great thing. Having to head to Walgreens was one of our last things we had to leave the house for, so we're definitely switching over all of our prescriptions.

18. Default Re: Amazon

I've been using Amazon's Pillpack for a couple of years now and love it. I take meds twice a day and each dose comes in a separate packet with a date and time on it... I never have to wonder if I took my meds because I can just look at the packet now.

Also very handy when I'm travelling because I can just strip off the number of packs I need for the days I'm gone... The only drawback is as the packs get shorter you know your getting closer to the trip ending.

Yet another business that would be far easier through on-line and home delivery and I've already registered. Beats the heck out of having to go into a store and stand in line with a bunch of sick people.

They continue to innovate. Such an impressive company.
    It would have been more impressive if they had built a stand-alone company which would be in a joint venture with Amazon - or some other maneuver which might save them from the trust busters. At some point the DOJ will seek to break-up Amazon. That time will come sooner with them branching into new fields

Blog Entries

Mine kept prompting me to pick my profile and then ended in a "Unexpected error occurred. Please try again in a moment."

Update: eventually through trial and error I got to the insurance verification screen but then an endless loop...

Update: Had to continue without verifying insurance just to get done.

Update: Figured out the Insurance bug. I was using all four fields, so including the optional ones. As soon as I stopped inputting data into the optional fields, it went right through.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Mine kept prompting me to pick my profile and then ended in a "Unexpected error occurred. Please try again in a moment."
    Yeah.. I kept getting that too. It eventually worked, and it did manage to automatically find my insurance information (sort of scary tbh), and I finally made it to where I can put in my meds.

Yes, registration was buggy but I was able to get through it.

I have been using Sam's Pharmacy but even though I'm in there frequently, it's still a pain in the butt to stand in line, get someone to help you and hope they aren't at lunch when you are there. They generally do a good job but it's not at all convenient especially when compared to just having what you need land in your mailbox.

And as it happens, my insurance just notified me that for some reason I can't use Sam's after the first of the year.

I'd rather support local businesses but I've become a huge fan of Amazon. I hope they can soon provide complete grocery needs because I have always hated going grocery shopping.

^^ I tried a couple of years ago to use the Prime/Whole Foods grocery service, and I just couldn't find enough of the stuff I needed. We've been using SHIPT for about a year though, and love it. There's an additional cost to the service, but even if I didn't feel like the convenience was worth it, I've found that I actually spend less money than I would when I did the shopping myself. It forces you to be more disciplined in your shopping and there's no risk of impulse shopping, and I still get to support local businesses (Crest).

I do get a lot of my specialty grocery shopping through Amazon already though, like the special flours I buy for my baking. I was curious, and it looks like I've placed 49 orders on Amazon over the past 3 months, so it's definitely became my main shopping outlet.

Regarding the new Amazon pharmacy...

There is no way to know what their prices are after insurance unless you have your prescriptions sent there by your doctor, which I did.

Mine came out to about $40/month where at Sam's Club I don't pay a thing.

Blue Cross Blue Shield had sent an email saying that Sam's would no longer be part of their network, but just got another one today saying that Sam's will stay, so I will continue to use them instead of paying $40 / month with Amazon.

25. Default Re: Amazon

An interesting map of the Amazon distribution centers in the US and the Amazon Prime Air facilities. I bet OKC gets APA flights before too many years being near the runway at the airport.

content://com.android.chrome.FileProvider/images/screenshot/16095516579731339662090.png

Thread Information