Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aloft North

Far North Aloft North

New Aloft hotel planned for North OKC

A local developer is planning to construct a new 4-story Aloft Hotel in North Oklahoma City.

An LLC which tracks back to DJ Patel recently bought 8.8 acres south of Memorial Road between May and Pennsylvania and is now seeking construction bids on the proposed hotel.

Plans show a 4-story building with approximately 120 rooms as well as new commercial development which would surround the hotel.

Patel is the developer of the Candlewood Suites in Moore.

The Aloft website shows Aloft North Oklahoma City property as opening in 2019.

The only Aloft in Oklahoma City is located in Deep Deuce near downtown.

[center]

Default Re: Aloft North

Odd location in my opinion. Seems like they would have went for a lot facing Memorial, especially near Cabella's.

Yeah, odd location. I'm guessing the land at the corner of Memorial and May was too expensive. Otherwise, that would've made more sense.

I like those high rises in the back. Hopefully those get built.

Pete- Candlewood Suites is part of IHG (Holiday Inn, Crowne Plaza, Intercontinental) and not Starwood.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Yeah, odd location. I'm guessing the land at the corner of Memorial and May was too expensive. Otherwise, that would've made more sense.
    That street goes both into the front of QS Mall and east into Chisolm Creek. It is a VERY active area and this street will fill out. I don't think the land at Memorial and May would have been split up anyway.

This tract is pretty south of Memorial. It is also fairly east of May. It is adjacent to the many existing apartments in the Highland Park/Pennsylvania area back there. It will be close to Chisholm Cheek and the surrounding development, but to me, it is not in a highly trafficked area. There is currently a sign up for it which I see about once or twice a week, whenever I am heading to dinner over there at Chisholm Creek.

Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else like that we're getting more and more Starwood type properties? I have nothing against Hilton or Marriott, but the Starwood places always seem so much more hip.

Quote Originally Posted by skwillz View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but does anyone else like that we're getting more and more Starwood type properties? I have nothing against Hilton or Marriott, but the Starwood places always seem so much more hip.
    Marriott bought Starwood last year and has been merging the programs. (Which is great as I had gold status at SPG which now transfer to Marriott)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbkrems View Post
    This tract is pretty south of Memorial. It is also fairly east of May. It is adjacent to the many existing apartments in the Highland Park/Pennsylvania area back there. It will be close to Chisholm Cheek and the surrounding development, but to me, it is not in a highly trafficked area. There is currently a sign up for it which I see about once or twice a week, whenever I am heading to dinner over there at Chisholm Creek.
    Locating is like shooting ducks. You aim for where it will be, not where it is. This street will look vastly different in 5-10 years. With hot spots on both ends of this street, good fill in is inevitable. With a high quality booking system, they will have no occupancy issues early and have a home run real estate play later.

Hotels don't rely much on visibility, as their market is people booking from outside the city.

Places like Aloft aren't going for the people just stopping in off the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    That street goes both into the front of QS Mall and east into Chisolm Creek. It is a VERY active area and this street will fill out. I don't think the land at Memorial and May would have been split up anyway.
    Maybe it will get built up but for the longest time the only people I see using it are the people that live in those apartments and people trying to avoid Penn and Memorial. It just seems odd to build it right behind those old apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Hotels don't rely much on visibility, as their market is people booking from outside the city.

Places like Aloft aren't going for the people just stopping in off the highway.
    And clearly anyone booking a room on the memorial corridor plans on having a car so being a quarter-mile closer makes no real difference.

Moving dirt:

Is the half burnt apartment building right next to aloft still standing?
    talk about an eyesore

So much style... Oozing with cool.

19. Default Re: Aloft North

Such a weird location for a hotel.

I just don't get this location. I suppose there's lots of room around it for development, but I can't see that actually happening for a long time. It's not far from chisholm creek, but most people wouldn't walk that. It backs up to TONS of apartments, many of which are rundown and have less than savory clientele (having had family living in two different complexes in that general vicinity.) It just doesn't seem like a fit for this brand. What's the driver? There aren't any hip hotels on the memorial corridor?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnb911 View Post
    I just don't get this location. I suppose there's lots of room around it for development, but I can't see that actually happening for a long time. It's not far from chisholm creek, but most people wouldn't walk that. It backs up to TONS of apartments, many of which are rundown and have less than savory clientele (having had family living in two different complexes in that general vicinity.) It just doesn't seem like a fit for this brand. What's the driver? There aren't any hip hotels on the memorial corridor?
    You know them and I don't but that seems like a harsh judgement of your family.

Quote Originally Posted by RodH View Post
    You know them and I don't but that seems like a harsh judgement of your family.
    Ha! I meant, I've had family in two of those apartment complexes and have seen firsthand the state of the buildings, as well as had firsthand accounts of some of the neighbors and some of the criminal elements that go down in that neck of the woods. I'm sure each complex is slightly different, and there are at least 7 different ones radiating north and west from the corner of 122nd and Penn. Just seems an odd spot for an Aloft.

All the out-of-towners, including me, will need a place to stay during their pilgrimages to IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by OKCretro View Post
    Is the half burnt apartment building right next to aloft still standing?
    talk about an eyesore
    Nope. It's gone!

Came to check what the forum had to say about this place. Seems like work has stopped. Still has shipping containers and construction fence around it. Haven't seen any activity when driving by. Anyone have any information?

Thread Information