Widgets Magazine

Thread: Stone Sister's Pizza

Default Stone Sister's Pizza

A new pizza place is opening soon. Looks like it may be a 'healthy' pizza place.

Just south of Byron's.

http://www.stonesisterspizza.com/

https://www.facebook.com/pg/stonesis...=page_internal

2. Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

I believe they opened on the 17th.

Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I believe they opened on the 17th.
    No, not open yet.

I have interviewed the owners and will have a story soon.

4. Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    No, not open yet.

I have interviewed the owners and will have a story soon.
    I was going by the info on their FB page but it appears they took the countdown timer off their webpage and replaced it with a coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by OK BBQ Eater Anonymous View Post
    I was going by the info on their FB page but it appears they took the countdown timer off their webpage and replaced it with a coming soon.
    They got pushed back and didn't update their FB page.

Should be another week or two.

Default Stone Sisters Pizza Bar

Pizza restaurant to open in former Borden dairy building
    By Molly M. Fleming
    The Journal Record

OKLAHOMA CITY – Sheli Reynolds-Stenseth never wanted to be in the restaurant business. She and her sister Tami Lake operated a pizza dough company, selling their products at local farmers markets.

The sisters were talking to their friend David Hooten, who mentioned that Jim O’Steen wanted to open a pizza place. But O’Steen didn’t want to operate it. He had bought pizza equipment for the Borden milk building, 2124 N. Broadway Ave. O’Steen purchased the building in 1997.

O’Steen is renovating the space for the Stone Sisters Pizza Bar. Reynolds-Stenseth, Lake, and their oldest sister, Traci Stone, with chef Cally Johnson are bringing organic pizza to the market. The crusts can be made with either sprouted spelt or unbleached organic white flour.

Reynolds-Stenseth said the sprouted spelt is a good choice for people with gluten sensitivities. It’s also healthier than whole wheat, she said.

The pizza toppings are organic and sourced locally if possible. Cheese is from Lovera’s Handcrafted Foods in Krebs.

The menu will also offer salads, soups, beer, kombucha, and organic wine on tap. Leap Coffee Roasters is the coffee provider. Frozen prepared pizzas and lasagnas can be purchased to be baked at home.

The sisters praised Johnson’s contribution to the concept. Johnson was a co-owner of Mutts Amazing Hot Dogs before it was sold. She still co-owns Big Truck Tacos. She not only helped elevate the recipes, but also taught them about what they would need to operate an eatery.

“I don’t know what we were thinking not having her on,” said Reynolds-Stenseth. “She came on and brought everything to a whole new level.”

“We had basic ideas and then Cally came and turned them into masterpieces,” Lake said.

Johnson was working at J. Bruner’s at the Haunted House. It closed in January. She said she tried to take their passion for health and turn it into pizza.

She knows she can’t reinvent the pizza wheel, so this had to be in a market of its own.

“It has the heart of an athlete, but it looks like a pizza,” she said. “We don’t want to be trendy. We want to have longevity.”

The sisters said they hope the tasty pizza inspires people to pursue other healthy choices. Johnson said the sisters’ lifestyles have already motivated her to quit smoking.

“I think they have a great product,” she said. “You cannot discount the heart that it’s made with. It takes a lot to get me excited these days. This is exciting.”

There’s heart not only in the pizza, but in the whole restaurant. One table has pictures of all the angels in the sisters’ lives, including Johnson. The pizza names are filled with family memories, such as Bratty Little Sister, and Front Yard Rumble With Hair Pulling. The name was inspired by a real event when the older sisters were fighting one holiday in their mom’s front yard. There was hair-pulling. There’s even a pizza named for their saintly mother, Sherrie Ives.

But the older sisters claim they grew up with they turned 40 years old. And now, they all laugh about their childhood and how they get along now. They’ve had fun working on the restaurant, with each one contributing ideas.

They’ve recruited other family members to help as well, with Lake’s daughter Brittany Burgess working in the kitchen and Toya Stewart managing the front of the house. Reynolds-Stenseth’s sister-in-law Dana Reynolds is making organic desserts.

The restaurant will open by June.

Johnson said people can expect a different quality than what’s on the market now.

“There can be no margin of error with this pizza,” she said. “This pizza had to explain what’s in their hearts. It had to be thoughtful, mindful, and intentional.”

The space this restaurant is occupying is the former Borden ice cream parlor.

ahh... so *that's* where this place is going. really cool that this old space is being used again!

Blog Entries

I love that something is going in that space but I always hear "Stoned Sisters" and think "what's in that pizza?"

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    I love that something is going in that space but I always hear "Stoned Sisters" and think "what's in that pizza?"
    Heart, obviously. Would be cool to have some leaves in it too, but gotta move to California or Canada for that...

11. Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

They opened on Monday.

A few friends and I decided to check this place out today for lunch.

Got there about 12:15 and there was 3-4 people in line already.

We all had personal sized pizzas and each came with a small salad.

It's only day two, so the ordering and food took a minute or two longer than it probably will a week from now. The decor is casual but fun. Staff is really friendly and the ingredients look and taste fresh and some of the signature pies sound really really good.

I went with a simple pepperoni, sausage, black olive and mushrooms on the white flour crust.

It was definitely served fresh and hot and the flavors were really good.

I'd definitely put this organic offering up there with other nearby favorites; Sauced and Pizzeria Gusto.

If you're in the area, give this locally owned organic pizzeria a visit.

12. Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

Forgot, I took this pic at lunch yesterday....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18622630_10212955236257330_8753286414191306203_n.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	161.4 KB 
ID:	13865

13. Default Re: Stone Sister's Pizza

Went and gave it a try today.... They are still a little disjointed on the service, as Brian reported, but the pizza was really good. It's a little pricier being as it's all grass-fed, organic, locally sourced when possible, ingredients but even at that the 10" Every Man's Dream I ordered was enough to feed two people in my opinion... so that brings the price down if you are sharing.

The pizza was really good and the spiciness level on the Every Man's Dream was just about perfect. Not hot enough that it blew out my taste buds but spicy enough to kick in the tingling and burning. I would definitely order it again.

I also snagged a piece of the rum bundt cake which is super moist, soft, and decadent.... It kind of tastes like a rum soaked butterscotch candy.

I stopped by for the free sampler. Also tried their mushroom soup and a cookie with the rumor of how small the pizzas were. The slices were from "#3 vegan pie" from their vegan smeegan section, "Misunderstood middle sister pie" and "Bratty little sister pie". The crust used was made from their "Spelt" grain which is described at every table.

The soup was incredibly rich, made from grinded portabello mushrooms. The cookie was super soft, nearly crumbled in my hands picking it up. From the parts of the sampler I had it left me with two thoughts:

1. The angle that they're taking with local sourced, grass-fed, organic, what have you is them trying to stand out.

2. The pizzas I got were different from BBates picture. A lot smaller--which is fine cause they were sample--and made from the spelt as opposed to regular dough.

From what I've had there isn't any reason to not go to Hall's instead. I appreciate what Sisters is doing, and am glad that they support teachers.

Thread Information