Widgets Magazine

Thread: Another Ed Noble Parkway Victim - Johnny Carino's Closes in Norman

Default Another Ed Noble Parkway Victim - Johnny Carino's Closes in Norman

Yet another empty building on ENP. Per Dave Cathey at the Daily Oklahoman. Click Link and Scroll Down to "Comings and Goings"

http://newsok.com/article/5537071

HangryHippo Guest

Default Re: Another Ed Noble Parkway Victim - Johnny Carino's Closes in Norman

Once the construction is wrapped up on the interstate, they're going to have to reinvest and change this place up. It has suffered tremendously.

This also reminds me I need to find that presentation on retrofitting malls. I think it could be applicable here.

3. Default Re: Another Ed Noble Parkway Victim - Johnny Carino's Closes in Norman

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Once the construction is wrapped up on the interstate, they're going to have to reinvest and change this place up. It has suffered tremendously.

This also reminds me I need to find that presentation on retrofitting malls. I think it could be applicable here.
    +1. The construction really killed everything past BJs until you get to about Home Depot.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    +1. The construction really killed everything past BJs until you get to about Home Depot.
    ENP was in decline before the construction, but it has definitely exacerbated the problems with the area. I can think of several retailers who bailed from ENP around the time that University Town Center began its rapid growth at 24th Ave. NW and Robinson. However, I believe Johnny Carino's is the first business South of the Home Depot that has closed.

Folks were talking about this and the downfall of ENP at the barbershop last week. I think the consensus was that it's all too far gone, but I think the stuff nearest Lindsey might recover once the road reopens. Farther north is a ghosttown though (BBB, Barnes & Noble, Applebee's area).

HangryHippo Guest

They could add some midrise housing and green space with some modifications to the layout and this would be a nice area again. Especially once all the highway work is completed.

I actually spoke with someone from the City of Norman about this. She said that construction on the interstate is not helping. First it was the Main St. interchange and now Lindsey, so they've been hit from both ends. That's also right that they are competing with UNP. Fortunately though, the area is undergoing a property management change right now, so she said that once the interchange is done and the management is switched over, a lot should happen with that area once again.

Thread Information