Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

^

We've been hearing that for a year and a half.

Hope it turns out to be true this time.

2. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Those properties east of 235 have really thrown a monkey wrench into things overall. Discount rooms so close to the core is giving other developers pause. And obviously the Omni will put pressure on the upper end of the market.

My fear is still the current Renaissance downtown becoming a rundown "OKC Hotel" or something like what happened to the Marriott on NW Expressway or old Holiday Inn in Norman. Would be a shame.

4. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Agreed jonny. I'm very concerned about what's going to happen to the old hotel once the convention center opens and they lose all that income from meetings. Remember, this hotel still manages the meeting space at the Myriad (i'll always call it that).

The Norman Holiday Inn didn't survive either, it's totally closed. So that's not something to give confidence. And after this long, the one on the NW XWay hasn't gotten is flag back. So i feel like its probably doomed too. So what are we going to do downtown, treat it like the old Biltmore and impload it?

If it does close, i mean there's definite potential there for conversion to residential and office mixed-use. That atrium as part of a residential tower, pretty nifty. BUT, as residential, you're going to have to be looking at if from a NON-upscale side. I really feel like we've reached a point there that's tapping out in the larger downtown area. But this would be a rather large amount of whatever came in. And they'd have to figure out parking for residents. Just a thought.

Blog Entries

The NW Exp hotel is under active renovation so hopefully will be flagged again at some point.

6. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by jonny d View Post
    My fear is still the current Renaissance downtown becoming a rundown "OKC Hotel" or something like what happened to the Marriott on NW Expressway or old Holiday Inn in Norman. Would be a shame.
    Checked in on the old Marriott on NW Expwy last week---they are working on rooms now and public spaces are next. They hope to have Embassy Suites flag before the end of the year. I am not holding my breath but the sales mgr seemed positive. Right now, walking in, there is no change, but it is coming, I have been assured.

Renaissance and Sheraton will be fine. They are the closest full service hotels to the CBD, and both are directly on the streetcar line. It’s possible they could change the concept at some point to be more attractive to different clientele, but I don’t see them having any trouble. The Sheraton has contracts with Southwest Airlines and United for overnight crews. I believe Southwest alone blocks up to 30 rooms a night. From my friend who is a Southwest pilot it is a favorite hotel for crews for overnighting due to proximity to Bricktown, but also far enough away that it is still quiet later in the evening.

8. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

^^^^^^
    OK, literally none of those worst-case scenarios are going to happen. That hotel is still reasonably modern and in good shape, and probably on the best real estate downtown for a hotel (which obviously changes with the opening of the CC but not by THAT much). Depending on what flag it ends up with should it still lose the Renaissance flag, as long as it remains on a major reservation system it may even see room bookings INCREASE when the CC opens. It's a valuable asset which will be very appealing to an investor or investors if the current ownership chooses to sell.

9. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Renaissance and Sheraton will be fine. They are the closest full service hotels to the CBD, and both are directly on the streetcar line. It’s possible they could change the concept at some point to be more attractive to different clientele, but I don’t see them having any trouble. The Sheraton has contracts with Southwest Airlines and United for overnight crews. I believe Southwest alone blocks up to 30 rooms a night. From my friend who is a Southwest pilot it is a favorite hotel for crews for overnighting due to proximity to Bricktown, but also far enough away that it is still quiet later in the evening.
    Yep. We see Southwest crews all of the time in Bricktown.

I wonder if the Fairfield Inn has something to do with the delay on this hotel. It is the same developer, and OCURA sold them the land for the Fairfield Inn with a time limit to develop it. The Renaissance may have taken less priority, just as the Body Works site has taken less priority than the NW Expressway Marriott.

Any updates?

Quote Originally Posted by AlvarezK View Post
    Any updates?
    There hasn't been any movement on the permitting side, and that's a bad sign.

I think this is dead. I saw a tweet somewhere (cannot find now) saying they are putting the flagpole back up and the construction is cancelled. Yay another parking lot save for B Town.

That's too bad because this was to be a nice, full-service hotel rather than all the 100-room, HVAC-through-the-wall places of which there are many.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I think this is dead. I saw a tweet somewhere (cannot find now) saying they are putting the flagpole back up and the construction is cancelled. Yay another parking lot save for B Town.
    https://twitter.com/_Bricktown/statu...81640666402819

I'm not surprised because actions (zero movement in the permitting system) speak louder than their constant assertions in the Oklahoman that all is well.

But it's a big bummer nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'm not surprised because actions (zero movement in the permitting system) speak louder than their constant assertions in the Oklahoman that all is well.

But it's a big bummer nonetheless.
    i think it died because the Oklahoman kept talking about it... aren't they the ones that always say, if you talk about a project, it will die??? lol

I really kind of wondered about this project after word came out the parking garage was being scrapped as they consistently said that a parking garage adjacent was a must for this happen. That actually was a decent parking garage(though it could have been worlds better) and would have cleared way for other lots to be developed. Sad that Bricktown lost this development and the 10 story building down the street. Oh well, it's only a matter of time before Bricktown really booms. I'm not all that sad about the Bodyworks site not happening as that really wasn't the best development.

10-story full-service hotel set to move forward in Bricktown

After more than two years of delays, the much anticipated Marriott Renaissance project in Bricktown is moving forward.

OKCTalk was first to report the plans in February of 2017, but then the project stalled with the developer Andy Patel being noncommittal about the hotel's future.

But yesterday, Patel refiled his design plans for the site at Sheridan and Oklahoma, as the previous approval had expired.

Lisa Chronister of the Oklahoma City Planning Department said that Patel is seeking to have the building permits issued so he can start work, but first needed to have the design reapproved by planning.

Patel told the planning department that the original plans have not changed, which called for a 10-story building of brick and bronze metal cladding with 182 guest rooms.

Unlike most the hotels that have opened in Bricktown and the central core in the last few years, the new Marriott Renaissance would be a full-service facility with an on-site restaurant, a concierge, room service and other luxury amenities.

The high-profile corner is known for a huge flagpole and American flag that was recently put back into service. Patel's plans call for the flagpole and surface parking to be demolished.

As detailed in our Downtown Hotel Summary, the new Marriott Renaissance would add to the 2,946 current room total in the urban core, with 887 more rooms under construction, including the 605-room Omni convention hotel.

As building permits had been filed and approved some time ago, construction could start relatively quickly.

“It’s about damn time” - LeBron James

Blog Entries

What about the parking garage? Or will he bank on vallet/streetcar?

Great infill project, hell yes. Excited to see this go up.

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    What about the parking garage? Or will he bank on vallet/streetcar?
    The parking garage that was proposed for the lot to the due west is dead.

The property was purchased by Drury Hotels for future development. In the meantime, Don Karchmer (seller) continues to operate it as a surface lot on behalf of Drury. He recently told me there are a couple more years left on that parking deal.

Most the hotels in the core do not have much or any parking. They make deals with nearby garages and lots and run valet service.

Blog Entries

Good :-)

Quote Originally Posted by shawnw View Post
    Good :-)
    An awesome project ! But I believe it when I see it...

Thread Information