Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous. View Post
    I noticed on the rendering showing the garage it has what looks like the beginning text of "The M..." I can only assume this could be Melting Pot, therefore - maybe they have shown interest in moving to brand new space in the parking garage once built?
    I think it stands for "The Market"

You're right. The rendering for the garage back in the day had that name on the building.

Agree with everyone else; really nice design. Hope it doesn't get changed. And I love the density that it adds.

I'm sure Chelinos is thrilled about that parking garage...

Where can I find more info on this parking structure? Will there be street level retail?

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Haha this was actually discussed in the garage thread, and IIRC people were excited because it might force Chelino's to reorient their space to have the front entrance on the canal side.

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Where can I find more info on this parking structure? Will there be street level retail?
    Link to the thread: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=41653

But yes! 16,000 sq ft facing Sheridan along the length of the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Haha this was actually discussed in the garage thread, and IIRC people were excited because it might force Chelino's to reorient their space to have the front entrance on the canal side.

Link to the thread: http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=41653

But yes! 16,000 sq ft facing Sheridan along the length of the garage.
    Awesome! Thanks. Hope this gets built.

Quote Originally Posted by TheirTheir View Post
    Maybe this development will cause Chelino's to enhance their canal presence...

Quote Originally Posted by ABCOKC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dankrutka View Post
    Maybe this development will cause Chelino's to enhance their canal presence...
    Let's hope so!

Welcome to the streetcar era, OKC. This is going to be fun.

Absolutely gorgeous design.

Blog Entries

Great development 'as is' if it meets the final design; it definitely reflects & complements BRICKTOWN!

Streetcar route's already paying dividends.

Very excited about this and the garage! Two questions for anyone who might know:

Has there been any movement on the Spaghetti Warehouse building? I'm sure another restaurant will go in at some point, but it would be amazing to see the top four floors renovated into apartments.

Also, is there any kind of plan to streetscape Sheridan between the railroad and Joe Carter Ave? That entire stretch could use new lane lines and possibly some reconfiguring to make it more pedestrian friendly. Honestly it could also stand to be re-paved as well, though I have no idea how that would work when we're actively putting streetcar rails into the current pavement.

Either way, this development is fantastic for the district and the city! Sheridan Ave is quickly becoming a fantastic Main Street for Bricktown.

Looks fantastic! This seems like a home run!

This has to be a first for OKC TALK. A new project design with only positive comments so far.

Well I wish it were higher!

17. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-citys-bri...rticle/5537401

http://newsok.com/change-is-only-cer...rticle/5537402

Noticed in the uncropped version of the hotel, it also shows Spaghetti Warehouse with windows that aren't bricked up.

18. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Just some personal observations...

I'm concerned for the existing Renaissance. There is absolutely no comparison between a 25 floor hotel attached to a convention/arena space, and a small hotel like this in bricktown. It's great to have it here and all, but if i have a choice between the two, i think i'll take the existing tower. How often does a hotel change flags from the original one, and it end up being a good thing? My concern is that it would be the start of a downward spiral for the existing hotel. At only 17 years old, it's a baby. Not too many people realize that the meeting space in the Cox Center is coordinated with the hotel as well. So when my previous employer rented room space during a tradeshow, we did our business out of the hotel offices and that includes the food service coordination. Just because the new CC shows up, dont expect the Cox to just stop doing business. It will take a major hit though. But with this construction, the Renaissance will be further away from the "action".

UnfrSakn mentioned Spaghetti Warehouse. I wonder why someone wouldn't just look at that space to convert? The structure is sound (i mean i guess as far as i know). Being warehouse space, it would have had sufficient floor height and similar column spacing. I'm sure negotiations were all part of the deal here though. Given what's happening, it might not surprise me to see a different flag take that building.

Danrutka mentioned Chelinos. The back side of that stretch of canal buildings has been an eyesore from day one. I'm hoping the blockage of the view by a garage and a building will help force more focus on the canal side. Personally, i think Chelino's is nasty, but somehow that place has managed to stay in business through all the changes in Bricktown.

For Parking, this is probably one of the few times that i feel like adding a garage will be a good thing. It's going to HAVE to be open to the public as well as hotel guests though. It's an area with very little parking available and would take the biggest public lot in the area. It's used pretty frequently for the lunch crowd. It's going to make things difficult during construction, but would actually make things better in the long run. My fear here is if another hotel takes the Spaghetti space, maybe some deal gets made, and then it's no longer publicly available. The lot just west of here near the tracks has a lot of business employee parking in it so weekdays are full, but it's open for weekends. But it's at that far west end of Bricktown. And we all know Okies are some lazy farts when it comes to walking......

The good deal they had with the city to use the convention center and provide catering services is ending in 2020. This is what is driving them to move their flag to Bricktown.

Quote Originally Posted by ljbab728 View Post
    This has to be a first for OKC TALK. A new project design with only positive comments so far.
    No, there have been a few. They are initially described as "game changers," then, somewhere along the way, they lose their lustre (not tall enough; no 24-room service; why no outdoor pool), etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post

I'm concerned for the existing Renaissance. There is absolutely no comparison between a 25 floor hotel attached to a convention/arena space, and a small hotel like this in bricktown. It's great to have it here and all, but if i have a choice between the two, i think i'll take the existing tower. How often does a hotel change flags from the original one, and it end up being a good thing? My concern is that it would be the start of a downward spiral for the existing hotel. At only 17 years old, it's a baby. Not too many people realize that the meeting space in the Cox Center is coordinated with the hotel as well. So when my previous employer rented room space during a tradeshow, we did our business out of the hotel offices and that includes the food service coordination. Just because the new CC shows up, dont expect the Cox to just stop doing business. It will take a major hit though. But with this construction, the Renaissance will be further away from the "action".

UnfrSakn mentioned Spaghetti Warehouse. I wonder why someone wouldn't just look at that space to convert? The structure is sound (i mean i guess as far as i know). Being warehouse space, it would have had sufficient floor height and similar column spacing. I'm sure negotiations were all part of the deal here though. Given what's happening, it might not surprise me to see a different flag take that building.

Danrutka mentioned Chelinos. The back side of that stretch of canal buildings has been an eyesore from day one. I'm hoping the blockage of the view by a garage and a building will help force more focus on the canal side. Personally, i think Chelino's is nasty, but somehow that place has managed to stay in business through all the changes in Bricktown.

For Parking, this is probably one of the few times that i feel like adding a garage will be a good thing. It's going to HAVE to be open to the public as well as hotel guests though. It's an area with very little parking available and would take the biggest public lot in the area. It's used pretty frequently for the lunch crowd. It's going to make things difficult during construction, but would actually make things better in the long run. My fear here is if another hotel takes the Spaghetti space, maybe some deal gets made, and then it's no longer publicly available. The lot just west of here near the tracks has a lot of business employee parking in it so weekdays are full, but it's open for weekends. But it's at that far west end of Bricktown. And we all know Okies are some lazy farts when it comes to walking......
    I've thought the same. Hard to imagine what flag it will end up with.

The existing Renaissance opened in 1999 when there was only one other hotel in all of downtown. Shocking when you think about it.

Since then, things have become much more competitive and they haven't done much to keep pace.

I fully expect them to do a major remodel and come back with a new flag. I know this is already being discussed.

In many ways, OKC will be the big winner.

I think Lackmeyer said in at least one of his chats that the Spaghetti Warehouse bldg would require extensive renovation (but don't quote me on that), at least of the ground floor (there are holes in it, and it's just in pretty crappy shape overall), not totally sure about the upper floors, but I think they've been vacant for years, if not decades, so they're probably in not great shape either.

Having said that, this design is pretty cool, be really nice if it goes in as projected.

The Cox will be demolished and redeveloped into normal lots that fit with the streetscape. So yes, the Cox will "stop doing business". Great move for the city. The property will be prime location.

And there are plenty of developers who would redevelop the Spaghetti Warehouse building if the current owners would sell.

At some point, the City is going to have to get involved, which wouldn't be difficult since that building is now abandoned and out of compliance in several areas.

Thread Information