Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Sign is up:

Does anyone know what a planned opening time frame is?

Blog Entries

By the look of it, 2022, which might actually be good timing

4. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Tentatively October.

5. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Disclaimer: I haven’t spoken about this particular topic with either the hotel developer or the folks who own the Centennial but pretty sure the one south of Reno isn’t going anywhere, and also think it’s likely that - as Shawn suggests - it will be a hotel-owned foodservice that sells Starbucks branded product under a licensing agreement rather than a corporate owned or franchised Starbucks. This is very common in the hotel industry and in fact has been the model at the (now former) Renaissance in the CBD.

But either way I am pretty sure that the two locations can easily coexist,
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    ^

The Marriott location will be a full Starbucks with inside and outside seating, external signage, etc.

The old Renaissance (now the Wyndham Grand) merely serves Starbucks coffee from their own cafe (Caffeina's).
    Turns out we were both essentially correct. The Starbucks will indeed be a full Starbucks as opposed to a "proudly serving," but it is not a corporate Starbucks. Instead it will be operated by the hotel itself, under a licensing agreement. Starbucks basically doesn't franchise in the US but they do have a minority number of licensed locations, which are relatively difficult to acquire and mostly indistinguishable from corporate stores.

Says a lot about the hotel developer in this case, and also quite a bit about Starbucks' outlook on Bricktown and on the location of the hotel, as they also intend to maintain the corporate Starbucks in Lower Bricktown.

6. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

this is not unusual. There are several locations in Vancouver BC where there's two or more Starbucks at an intersection. .,.,

Good news for Bricktown. I'd argue the OKC's cbd could use a few Sbucks as well, particularly in City First tower if CoolGreens leaves that location would be perfect
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

God what a home run this project is. If we filled MIdtown etc. from 4th to 8th and from Oklahoma to Shartel with this kind of development, OKC would feel like it's punching way above its weight.

8. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

teo, I think if we filled Midtown like this then OKC would be punching AT where it should be. Peer cities have dense urban development in their cores, OKC does not but should.

In all fairness, OKC used to have a dense core but tore it down over the years. Now, we are just infilling what used to be there. So we're not punching above our weight, we're instead punching above OKC-thought.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    teo, I think if we filled Midtown like this then OKC would be punching AT where it should be. Peer cities have dense urban development in their cores, OKC does not but should.

In all fairness, OKC used to have a dense core but tore it down over the years. Now, we are just infilling what used to be there. So we're not punching above our weight, we're instead punching above OKC-thought.
    Not many cities OKC's size have that level of development anywhere outside of their CBD. 8-12 story buildings for a 4 block by 6 block area is massive and would greatly impact the view of downtown's density and reach from all over.

10. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Not sure if it was already mentioned but the restaurant will also by the way be serving a full breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. This by itself is a very welcome addition to the district.

11. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

Quote Originally Posted by Teo9969 View Post
    Not many cities OKC's size have that level of development anywhere outside of their CBD. 8-12 story buildings for a 4 block by 6 block area is massive and would greatly impact the view of downtown's density and reach from all over.
    who are you comparing OKC to? MOST cities OKC's size (and even smaller) have dense urban areas in every direction for several blocks next to their downtowns. OKC is actually one of the few that doesn't.

But I totally agree with you that it will be nice once OKC does have several dense 4X6 block areas N,S,E,W of the CBD. THEN I'd agree OKC is pulling above its weight.

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    who are you comparing OKC to? MOST cities OKC's size (and even smaller) have dense urban areas in every direction for several blocks next to their downtowns. OKC is actually one of the few that doesn't.

But I totally agree with you that it will be nice once OKC does have several dense 4X6 block areas N,S,E,W of the CBD. THEN I'd agree OKC is pulling above its weight.
    I'm talking full of 8-12 story buildings. Not 3-5 story apartment blocks like Level/Edge with an occasional 8-12 story building. Lowest populated MSA on the list would be Portland, I think?

That's pretty sharp. This is just a huge win for Bricktown, gaining a true full-service hotel right in the heart of the district.

Some of the exterior lights have been switched on:

That’s going to be nice

Great shot Pete. That architecture really works perfect for that location. I need to make a list of buildings to go by next time I am in town (maybe in a few weeks). It will have been a year since my last visit and there are a ton of areas I haven't been to in years.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Great shot Pete. That architecture really works perfect for that location. I need to make a list of buildings to go by next time I am in town (maybe in a few weeks). It will have been a year since my last visit and there are a ton of areas I haven't been to in years.
    I used to do this on my yearly visits.

Over time, there was more to see than I could fit in and that realization started me down the path to moving back.

This building is looking very sharp in person. Does anyone know if the rear facade will be bricked or is the grey material the final product?

Quote Originally Posted by Southsider2 View Post
    This building is looking very sharp in person. Does anyone know if the rear facade will be bricked or is the grey material the final product?
    That's the final product; EIFS (synthetic stucco) I believe.

Thanks. That is a bit of a bummer but this is still a very high-quality development.

Blog Entries

That's a good looking hotel.

Saw it in person Monday for the first time since the facade has really looked close to complete. Just a completely different feel on that street corner now and such an improvement. Can't wait for the parking lot to be eventually developed.

25. Default Re: Bricktown Marriott Renaissance

It is indeed EIFS above the first couple of floors on the alley side. Last year the adjacent flowerbeds looked like the day after a snowstorm.

The brick is going up on the first floors of the alley frontage this very week.

Thread Information