Widgets Magazine

Thread: Earth moving on Council south of the river

Default Earth moving on Council south of the river

Was on my way home from work and saw that they appear to be starting earth moving and what looks like leveling on the east side of council on the south side of the Canadian River. Anyone know what, if anything is going on there?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Earth moving on Council south of the river

Chris Hayes, I haven't been by there in a while, but does it appear they are really doing something? Its been a dirt and concrete dump for a couple of years now.

I'm interested too. I've seen them moving dirt North of the river, but hadn't noticed anything South towards 15th.

It's a 300,000 SF industrial building of some sort.

No surprise there.

We see you like warehouses, so we put a warehouse in your warehouse district.

I wish they would do something with that concrete and dirt dump.

I'm surprised further south on Council there isn't maybe one or two more food joints. Lots of people work over that way, and the Sonic and Taco Don Nachos is always busy during lunch time. Kind of like 7-11 is finally getting with the program since they are one of the only gas stations on this stretch unless you want to go all the way down to Wheatland or up to Reno.

nm

Quote Originally Posted by Zuplar View Post
    I'm surprised further south on Council there isn't maybe one or two more food joints. Lots of people work over that way, and the Sonic and Taco Don Nachos is always busy during lunch time. Kind of like 7-11 is finally getting with the program since they are one of the only gas stations on this stretch unless you want to go all the way down to Wheatland or up to Reno.
    With thousands of us working at Hobby Lobby, a quick serve restaurant would make a killing if they put it next to or in the area of Taco Don Nacho.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    With thousands of us working at Hobby Lobby, a quick serve restaurant would make a killing if they put it next to or in the area of Taco Don Nacho.

That's exactly my thoughts. Couple of spots right there for some variety. Probably going to happen at some point.

Not related, but saw that it looks like they're getting ready to do dirt work behind the Sonic on Council across from Hobby Lobby. Hopefully another restaurant, though I don't understand it going behind Sonic rather than on Council.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisHayes View Post
    Not related, but saw that it looks like they're getting ready to do dirt work behind the Sonic on Council across from Hobby Lobby. Hopefully another restaurant, though I don't understand it going behind Sonic rather than on Council.
    That appears to be a new maintenance facility for a local vending machine company, based on the building permit.

That's cool. I'm all for more businesses like that. Good paying jobs!

14. Default Re: Earth moving on Council south of the river

Im pretty sure that most of the eating happens over at Westgate or Meridian since they're so close.

Quote Originally Posted by bombermwc View Post
    Im pretty sure that most of the eating happens over at Westgate or Meridian since they're so close.
    That's probably true. For those of us that live in the area or South of the area it would be nice if there were actually a couple more options. My wife and I probably use the Sonic there a couple times a month just because it's the closest thing to our house. I think they could easily add a couple of options and still have enough business to go around.

This is a large facility for Amazon, the first in the state:

http://www.okctalk.com/showthread.php?t=43054

Thanks, Pete. I noticed today that construction equipment is being staged south of Bridgestone Elementary. Any idea what's going on there? I'm glad to see all of the industrial infill occurring along Council. Industrial development may not be super sexy like a new high rise, apartment blocks, etc, but it can add a good boost to the economy.

18. Default Re: Earth moving on Council south of the river

I've been surprised by what's been going in myself. The new facilities on Council seem to be energy related (based on what kind of stuff they're parking in the gravel side yards). Sort of weird considering for every new one that goes up, there's another one that closes. Still lots of empty spaces around the area too (like near Airport Rd).

I dont think i've ever heard of most of the tile companies that are in that area between Council/Meridian, 40/Airport Rd. But there seem to be 100 of them.

Absolutely tons of jobs out in west OKC with all those distribution centers and light manufacturing.

Gets completely overlooked when people talk about the OKC economy, but it's a huge economic force.

Thread Information