Widgets Magazine
Page 1 of 40 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Patrick Guest

Default "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Please take a moment and introduce yourself.

I'll start.

My name is Patrick. I'm a medical student here in OKC. Have lived here all of my life. Am currently taking a break from school but plan to return in July 2005. I'm engaged and plan on getting married in May of 2005. I'm a graduate from the OKC Public school system and am currently 24 years of age. Bricktown definitely interests me, as does commuter rail, tourism, and basically any city issue.
    Last edited by Patrick; 01-15-2005 at 12:57 AM.

2. Cool

I am Mr Anderson. Professionally I am the assistant manager of a retail store on the city's south side. As far as topics, I enjoy topics that will improve the city in a realistic manner, and not "nay sayers." I am politically active and nearly ran for city council last year against Jerry Foshee. I should have because I later learned I would have been elected without campaigning hard.
    My vision for this city is real growth. Tourist attractions mainly, and a much larger Will Rogers World Airport. One with hub status. Also areas like REAL theme parks and major league sports venues.
    Hobbys include travel and politics. I am 49 years of age and was raised in Oklahoma City.

3. Default

My name is floater and I have lived in Oklahoma City since I was seven. I've lived in other places since then, but I have always been an Oklahoma Citian. I too am a graduate student. I currently reside in Ohio, but am intent on returning to the city I have come to love.

The current mission of my existence is finding out what it takes to keep the city's best and brightest in Oklahoma City. I am happy that city leadership has finally realized that the key to sustainable economic development is attracting people. In the end, that's all a city has to offer. Whether you're on the plains (Dallas), close to mountains (Denver), on an urban island (Manhattan), in the desert heat (Phoenix), or in the dead of cold (Minneapolis) if you have energetic and creative people, you will not only survive, but grow.

4. Default

My name is TS and I am a 21 year old college student. I am in London right now and have just finished up a semester studying in Italy. I too am engaged and will get married next May, shortly after my graduation.

I am an entrepreneur and that is what I will continue to do once I graduate. I love OKC and the state and will do what I can to better the quality of life and the quality of jobs.

Warning... I am a dreamer. I am realistic, but a dreamer. I am also a big fan of soccer. I hope that we build a stadium downtown and get an MLS team in the next few years.

5. Smile

Hello everyone. This is Hot Rod. You may remember me from the old Oklahoman.com forum. We shared some great times there and really made a difference in things for OKC. We made such a difference, that it seems the move to remove the forum might just have been political, what do you think?

Anyways, about me.

I was born and raised in Oklahoma City. Went to PC North in Northwest. Graduated and moved to Seattle to attend undergrad at Univ of Washington. Moved to Denver then back to Seattle. Recently graduated MBA from Seattle University and still hanging out here in Seattle.

I work in corporate management for a large Chicago based corporation, which has offices in Oklahoma City by the way. From time to time, I travel there - although not as much as say three years ago.

I love the renaissance that has taken place in Oklahoma City. In fact, much of it was already in place, as the city had much to offer - just did not have distinction or a real identity (only the false or fake ones that we shamefully gave ourselves). So many people in the city held their head down because we were not like Dallas.

So we really needed MAPS and so on to show everyone that hey, we have a lot to offer and have as many attractions as the Big D or anyone else for that matter. Now, OKC is the envy of most in the SW if not the nation - especially our new best friend but former tormentor known as Tulsa. It is so nice to visit Tulsa websites (although I try not to so their web hit data does not falsely indicate my interest in their burg) and see them bow to OKC! They advertise concerts (you know, all of the big acts) but they come to OKC! I even see them take pride in OKC being the largest and most happening city in the state, the big city - which I know in the past Tulsa used to claim it was.

OK, for those of you that remember me from the Oklahoman.com forum, the length of this message should come as no surprise, but I think I will quit while I am ahead, as I completed the role call and had a chance to express my complete satisfaction with the reality that is in place in Oklahoma City - People are no longer holding their heads down. Hopefully the people of OKC will soon be proud of their city and tout it up; just like people here in Seattle do.

Anyways, it is great to be back (so to say). Thanks to Patrick, et al, for the email invitations. I hope we can bring back the original group as we had some great ideas and really built some momentum!
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Keith Guest

Talking

Hi Everyone!!!! I am Keith, originally known on Talkback as Keith S. I live in OKC, and have lived here over 23 years. I have been married for 23 years, and I have an 11 year old daughter and a 16 year old son. I am employed by the City of Okla. City, and have been with the City for 13 years. I am very active in my church, where I am very involved with our youth group. I enjoy volleyball, racquetball, and bicycling. On the side, I also do lots of yard work for other people, which leaves me very busy.

I try to keep up with things happening in the city, and do what I can do to attend different functions downtown and in Bricktown.

Just recently, I attended a couple of classes at the police/fire training center. One class was the Citizen's Fire Academy, which gave normal citizens a chance to see the inside operations of the OCFD and it also gave us an opportunity to ride along with the fire department on emergency calls. The other class was the Citizen's Police Academy which had the same concept of the fire academy. In this class, we learned more about police work, investigations, etc...and it also gave us the opportunity to do a ride along with a police officer. I think it is important for citizens to know about their city and how their tax dollars are spent. These classes were a great avenue to let average citizens know what their police and fire departments do.

I believe strongly in OKC and am proud to see all the things that the MAPS project has done to improve our city.

Thanks to Patrick, who I have known for a long time, for finding this site and getting others on board. It's good to see many of the regulars back with us. Let's all continue to dream, have visions, and have a good time.

Joe Schmoe Guest

Talking Joe the Schmoe

I was the Webmaster for the City for I think about 8 years. Worked there for 12. I'm pretty apolitical, but I'm also a provocature. One of my favorite accomplishments at the City was the TalkBack forum.

It was a lively, generaly uncensored soapbox for the Citizens of OKC. Needless to say, the Council had mixed feelings about it. While it ran for over six years, I think it lasted about a week after I left. But I feel stongly that the average citizen deserves a place at the table of opinions that influence City government.

In the 80s I ran the Classen Art Center & the Max Herschfeld Galleries. Now I paint, teach Design & Videography at City Arts, freelance design work, & repair Macintosh computers through the Computer Nerds. I have a short attention span, so this type of variety works very well for me.

I will be an enthusiastic supporter of this new forum venue.

Default Re: Roll Call- Introduce yourself

Hey everyone! My name is Brent. I'm an architecture student at the University of Oklahoma. I'm originally from Tulsa.

I've grown to know OKC a lot better since I moved to Norman. I'm always interested in what is going on and I follow the development of Bricktown very closely. I'll try to keep all of you posted on the happenings in and around Norman.

Patrick Guest

Hey BG918, welcome to the forum! We'd love for you to join in on the discussion..keep us up to date on what's new in Norman!

10. Cool Re: Roll Call- Introduce yourself

Hi, I am a recent transplant to Oklahoma from the San Francisco Bay Area/ Silicon Valley.

We have been here about one and a half years. I am still trying to adjust to the different weather and sometimes different ways of thinking but overall I really love it here.

I was sitting last night in the backyard watching the fireflies, listening to the crickets(?) or cicadas watching the stars and it was just so peaceful! I appreciate that so much coming from a big city.

There are so many great things about Oklahoma, I guess my hope would be to try to positively influence some of the attitudes regarding Oklahoma. I really want people to recognize the wonderful things here and not focus on some of the outdated perceptions.

I was in the mortgage / real estate industry in California and am amazed at the home you can get here compared to there!

I have two boys age 6 & 11, (love the schools here!) and have been married 16 years (yikes!!) it goes fast.. we have a Black Lab named Kodi and a Black cat named Zoe. My mom has moved here and various relatives have followed us out here. It's a booming place!

I hope to make some new friends here in Oklahoma and learn more about downtown and the state in general.

Look forward to chatting with you all - Karrie
    Last edited by Karried; 07-18-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Keith Guest

Welcome to the forum, Karrie . We have a lot of nice people here and we have some excellent, clean discussions. Also, welcome to OKC.....I'm glad you chose our fine City to settle down in.

WNYOKIE Guest

Hi, my name is Eva. I'm an Okie now for almost 6 years. I came down here from Buffalo, NY (Go Bills!) after my husband took a job with Hertz. I really like it. Love your winters! Not really crazy about seeking shelter in my guest bathtub during tornato season, but when in Rome...you know. The people here are great. I found a pretty okay job but my co-workers are super! There's a real team feel to it. They seem to be very accepting of me but then I think they do say, "Well, she is from New York." (Which is equivant to "her mother did drop her on her head when she was a baby"..lol) I have been "mamed" by men older than me which made me feel old and my heart has been blessed repeatedly. (Sneaky how it follows an insult like when a co-worker came into my unorganized office and said, "my my Eva, you're not a very good housekeeper...bless your little heart.)

I have this thing against Dallas. Sorry, I have two Super Balls losses that started it. Then a couple years ago that darn skate was in the goal crease and there went the Stanley Cup. I can't help but call that city "Dall-ass."

Lately I have decided to finish my degree in Journalism/Advertising. After a 20+ year rest from college I started up at UCO last fall. I don't have too much to go. I'm only going part time though. I really am determined to finish.

I have done some freelance writing for Oklahoma Woman (www.okwomanmag.com) and hope to do more. I live in Edmond with my husband and dog Scruffy Girl and I am lactose intolerant.

Patrick Guest

Hey Eva, welcome to the site, and I'm glad you like our city. I hear that from so many people from out of town!! I guess it's mostly the locals that tend not to like it, but that's probably the case a lot of places you go!

Hey, thanks for your participation and welcome to the site! I see you've been a member for awhile, so I guess instead of welcoming you as a new member, I should say "Welcome Back!!!"

Hey, feel free to jump in anywhere you'd like. I'm sure any thread you start will generate discussion, as we love to talk about anything and everything. Even though it may seem that we talk about Oklahoma City and Bricktown a lot, this forum is about way more than just that. Whatever interests you, feel free to bite!

Thanks for your participation!

3laf Guest

Hi, I am Pam. I am fourth grade teacher. I have four children (my husband and I have his, hers, and ours). I am married to the wonderful man who started this web site. He is my computer genious. He started a web site the OKC really needed.

Keith Guest

Default "Roll Call"

I think it is time for a new roll call, especially since we have had so many new members join this forum. Tell us a little about yourself, plus what city you live in. It can be one sentence or a paragraph.

......My name is Keith and I live in SW OKC. I have lived in south OKC for 24 years, and have seen many changes take place over the years. I have worked for the City of Okla. City for almost 14 years, and currently work for the water department as a dispatcher in emergency services. I am a very young 43 years old, and my dog thinks I am the best thing....next to doggy biscuits.

I have been married for 23 years and I have an 11 year old daughter , an almost 17 year old son who is very opinionated, a one year old dog named Scout, and a hamster.

I enjoy yard work, bicycling, racquetball, surfing the internet, listening to my police scanner, and spending time with my family.

I am very active in my church, where I serve as a youth leader, head sound technician, and I am also chairman of our building and grounds committee. I have been serving at this church for 24 years and I love every minute of it.

I have been on several forums in the past years, and that is where I have met some of the posters on this forum. I met Patrick, one of the moderators of this forum, many years ago and we have become very good friends. Many of us on this forum have met face to face, and even a group of us have met for lunch in Bricktown. Patrick and I still get together occasionally and have lunch at Bricktown, and stay in contact continuously by phone and e-mail.

Anyway, enough about me. Let's hear from the rest of you.

16. Default Re: "roll Call"

I am Mr. Anderson.

Ponca City, Oklahoma was honored with my birth 49 years ago. I moved to Oklahoma City at the age of five, and except for eight lousy years in Dallas and six months in Eureka, California, I have lived in the area all my life so far. (I have not done anything "all my life" because I am not dead yet)

My dad was prominant stock broker and politician having been chairman of select governor appointed committees through the years. The most notable was the committee that formed the Oklahoma State Securities and Exchange Commision in 1965. That commision is now known as the department of securities.

I was educated totally in south Oklahoma City except for kindergrten which was in north Oklahoma City. I graduated from US Grant and later from Oklahoma City Community College. In fact, I now live in the same home in which I was raised in far southwest Oklahoma City.

For enjoyment I like bowling, traveling (having been world wide), these forums, the internet in general, politics (as many here obviously know), and television.

For work I am in retailing. Also trying to find a better job hopefully in a bit of a different field. My degree is in broadcast communications.

In 2003, I formally announced plans to unset Jerry Foshee, however, changed my mind after the council started discussions on the MAPS III proposition. I want about one billion dollars in funds for a REAL commercial airport to support a hub, a domed football stadium, light rail, and to hire the best outside sales force to do nothing but travel around the country at city expense to give sales presentations to corporations trying to lure them to Oklahoma City either as headquarter relocations or expantions, plus the major leagues to enfranchise teams here.

Sports. I like baseball, hockey and basketball. HATE football, but support the NFL and the major AFL in possible teams here.

And comedy. Plus, as my signature says...

okiesweetie Guest

Default Re: "roll Call"

Hey all just wanted to say hi I also live in the metro area looking forward to getting to know all of you. I love kids and animals.

18. Default Re: "roll Call"

Mr. Anderson, was your dad Andy Anderson?
    As for me, I'm simply someone who has a big interest in downtown development and history.

19. Default Re: "roll Call"

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy
    Mr. Anderson, was your dad Andy Anderson?
    As for me, I'm simply someone who has a big interest in downtown development and history.
    There were four Andy Anderson's. Three were afluant business leaders, one was the General Manager of a car dealership.

Just curious before I give you a solid answer. Which Andy Anderson. What company did he found?

20. Default Re: "roll Call"

Hi all joined last night made first post this like second of third not sure, glad I found this site its great. My name is dirtrider73068, 28 years and getting older male, have two kids daughter and son, been married 6 years but its rocky at the moment now sepreated for the time being may be divorced first of the year. I like to chat and read the forums any I can find. I live in noble just south of norman sometimes go to city mainly to crossroads mall never been anywhere else past that besides the state fair or frontier city for octoberfest. I will be around more often here more than likley will visit everyday.

I'm 25. Born and raised in Edmond, OK. Recently moved South to downtown OKC. I finished my bachelor's at UCO 2 years ago and will be (hopefully) beginning to pursue my JD at OCU next year. I'm currently working as a paralegal.

In my free time, I enjoy honest people, long walks on the beach and sunsets.

HoodRat Guest

Today is that reeeally rainy Sunday in October, as I'm sure it will come to be known, so I actually have time to hang out on the computer (coffee & cigarettes, YUM!). My name is Charles Henry. I'm an artist, entrepreneur and long time Southside advocate. I'm currently staying busy doing creative construction related work, since all the boarded up houses in SE OKC are renovated. You may recall that I will throw a fit over demolition. Anyway... Here I am, nice to see things moving along so nicely and now for the self-serving part of my message. Visit my site, its rough as a cob but my webmaster ran to FL for a few weeks before getting it right. So visit, then check back and then tell allll your friends that for Specialty construction you have to call Charles Henry Studios.

http://www.unique101.com/charleshen...os/gallery.html

stac8950h Guest

hi everyone....i am Stacy and i live in Norman. Moved here about a month ago. I am from Lawton, moved to Texas for 7 years and then ended up here. I like OK better anyway. Its hard to be a sooner fan in TX. I am 30, married for 10 1/2 years, no kids, 2 dogs, 1 cat, and 1 bird. Hope to get to meet more people around here soon.

Patrick Guest

Hey Stacy, thanks for introducing yourself here! And we're definitely glad you decided to move back north of the border. Hey, we'd love to see you participate on this forum. Feel free to jump in.

Hi, this seems like a cool place, just thought I'd give this place a try and see what's going on. I'm 27, single, I live on the Northwest side, graduated from OU a few years ago and have lived here my entire life. In my freetime I like to go to concerts, movies, football and baseball games.

Thread Information