Widgets Magazine
Page 38 of 40 FirstFirst ... 3334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

1. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Welcome, David!

Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by DavidD_NorthOKC View Post
    I am a North OKC resident (could you guess?) living in the area that borders Edmond. Moved up here so the kids could attend Edmond schools. Not an OK native but decided to stay after retiring from the military and have lived here a few years now. I've been watching this board for quite a while and it is a great resource for anyone wanting to learn about nearly anything OKC related.

Lately I worked on helping Mayor Cornett's reelection campaign a little and was very glad OKC chose to stay the course that has changed the city so dramatically just since I've been here. The renaissance of OKC I have experienced was the reason I stayed here rather than moving back "home". I am looking forward to seeing the completion of all the MAPS3 projects but especially the streetcar and whitewater facility. Now that I have all this time on my hands, I am looking for ways to contribute to my adopted hometown wherever I can. I am very excited about what the future holds for OKC and very glad to be a small part of it.
    Welcome! Always nice to have another somewhat suburban outlier on here who is not all about the area immediately around their home, but is also excited about projects in other parts of the city.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmperry View Post
    Welcome, David!
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by pahdz View Post
    Welcome! Always nice to have another somewhat suburban outlier on here who is not all about the area immediately around their home, but is also excited about projects in other parts of the city.
    Thanks! Mayor Cornett nailed it when he said "you can't be a suburb of nothing".

Greetings and salutations from the land of the living! After a sufficient amount of lurking, I've decided I'd be fine with adding my two cents from time to time.

As for myself, I'm Eric. I reside in The Village. I work where midtown starts to end and downtown starts to begin. Oh, and I've been lurking long enough to know who's capable of civil conversation and who's capable of trolling (or worse).

Quote Originally Posted by Tigerguy View Post
    Greetings and salutations from the land of the living! After a sufficient amount of lurking, I've decided I'd be fine with adding my two cents from time to time.

As for myself, I'm Eric. I reside in The Village. I work where midtown starts to end and downtown starts to begin. Oh, and I've been lurking long enough to know who's capable of civil conversation and who's capable of trolling (or worse).
    Welcome to the board. I hope I'm the former ;-)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5

Quote Originally Posted by Urbanized View Post
    Hey, I never got fireworks...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sparkler.png 
Views:	88 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	7903

8. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Hi, I'm Richard. I live just outside Crown Heights (recently moved from Norman—lived there seven years and two years in Midwest City before that). I grew up in D.C. but consider myself an Oklahoman now. I work for a San Francisco-based app/startup that just recently expanded to OKC. I'm really interested in OKC soccer and dream of getting an MLS team. I'm also excited about the improving bicycle-friendly roads here.

9. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by 38th Street Richard View Post
    Hi, I'm Richard. I live just outside Crown Heights (recently moved from Norman—lived there seven years and two years in Midwest City before that). I grew up in D.C. but consider myself an Oklahoman now. I work for a San Francisco-based app/startup that just recently expanded to OKC. I'm really interested in OKC soccer and dream of getting an MLS team. I'm also excited about the improving bicycle-friendly roads here.
    Welcome, Richard!

Welcome Richard!

Hello!

My wife and I live in Overland Park, KS and are looking at a possible relocation to OKC within the next year or two. She is from Laos and has spent some time in the Asian District (23rd/Classen?). I would like to get some info about that neighborhood...are there some nice residential areas nearby? We don't have kids so school districts aren't a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by aviastar View Post
    Hello!

My wife and I live in Overland Park, KS and are looking at a possible relocation to OKC within the next year or two. She is from Laos and has spent some time in the Asian District (23rd/Classen?). I would like to get some info about that neighborhood...are there some nice residential areas nearby? We don't have kids so school districts aren't a concern.
    Welcome to the site!

There are all types of great neighborhoods around that area at every price range. It's an older area so mostly historic homes.

Have an approximately price range in mind?

We are looking to buy a house mostly in cash for around $150k or so. We could borrow on a mortgage if we needed to but we try to live debt free. Our combined income is about $110k and we have not debts.

We are looking to buy a house mostly in cash for around $150k or so. We could borrow on a mortgage if we needed to but we try to live debt free. Our combined income is about $110k and we have not debts.
    Great homes in Crestwood, Las Vegas and gatewood.. they are very close to that area..

I would go to realtor.com and search under the 73103 and 73106 zip codes in our price range.

Those two zips straddle 23rd Street near the Asian District and you'll get a fell for what you get for your money.

Both those zips are great, but there are some small pockets of sketchiness. If you find something that looks good, post the address(es) and we can provide feedback.

Hope it works out that you guys move to OKC. It's a great city that is rapidly improving.

16. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Hi! I am new, well not really. I have been lurking in the forums for a year or so now, but decided to create an account. I mostly stayed in the transportation or Norman forums using them to help research new or updated construction in and around the city. Using it as a resource to update Waze maps. Over time I slowly expanded and started reading more forums.

Hi. I moved to OKC about 4 years ago from Austin, TX. I've been reading this forum for the past year and now that my office is on Film Row I figured i should join so I can contribute by updating some posts with construction pics. There's a lot going on over here, it's pretty exciting.
    I'm an interior designer, I play roller derby and I commute on my bicycle as often as possible.

I'm also not "new" here... I've been lurking around for at least a year and always enjoy reading the banter and learning a little history about our city. With all the exciting buzz about changes going on around here, I figured it may be time to chime in occasionally. I moved here from the Tulsa area in 2007 and this place has definitely been growing on me. Anyway, I look forward to contributing!!

Quote Originally Posted by jompster View Post
    I'm also not "new" here... I've been lurking around for at least a year and always enjoy reading the banter and learning a little history about our city. With all the exciting buzz about changes going on around here, I figured it may be time to chime in occasionally. I moved here from the Tulsa area in 2007 and this place has definitely been growing on me. Anyway, I look forward to contributing!!
    Welcome to the jungle!

Hi, I've lived in OKC all my life an have been hanging around here for a while now soaking it all in, so I figured I'd try to contribute wherever I can! Lots of excellent info in this community of knowledgeable people. I look forward to being a part of the conversation. Thanks for a great site!

Hi! I've been lurking here off and on for a couple years and decided to finally join. I'm a small town kid (from a small town northwest of OKC) that has developed an interest in/passion for development in the city. I'm currently a poor college kid (Go Pokes!) but have been interning downtown for about 2 years and look forward to starting my career in OKC. I hope to start putting my small mark on OKC in a few years with real estate investment and revitalization as a hobby.

Welcome and great plan!

Hello, I was raised in Shady Nook and didn't know that it was an economically depressed area until much later in life. I'm probably the oldest of the old here at 71 years. I worked at Cattleman's Cafe in 1961 and then went to work at the Forum Cafeteria in OKC until I joined the USAF. My name is Huskie1because I flew on HH-43 helicopters in the AF that were named "Huskie." I retired from the AF and returned to the OKC area and worked at the VA Hospital until I retired from there and now I travel and mess around (hobbies).

I posted some of my background here the other day, but I figured I would introduce myself on this thread as well. I was born in Enid and lived in and around that area until college. I graduated from high school in 2009 and then spent five and a half years working on my undergrad and graduate degrees in Stillwater. I finished my BS in business administration in December 2012 and my MS in accounting in December 2014.

I am a public accountant by trade. I had an internship in downtown OKC during the summer of 2013 and just started working full-time (for the same firm) at the beginning of this year. I will be moving downtown very soon, which I am very excited about. I have visited OKC throughout my life, but now that I live here, I would love recommendations for pretty much everything. I'm single and living on my own for the first time, so I have to figure out this whole "being an adult" thing. The "Ask Anything About OKC" section has been helpful, and I will post there if I have specific questions. I have many interests such as traveling, tennis (and watching most sports), playing the violin, learning German, trivia, and Netflix. I would love to know more about what kind of tennis clubs or activities there are in the city as well as how I could get started (or at least see if I actually enjoy) rowing.

I began reading OKCTalk in late 2012/early 2013 because I heard a rumor about a new tower being built downtown, and I stumbled upon the mystery tower thread. I spent most of my time in that thread at first, but I slowly began reading other threads, and now I read OKCTalk (primarily in the "Development and Buildings" section) on a daily basis. I appreciate the new perspectives that reading this site has given me, and I look forward to being able to contribute a little bit more now that I am living in OKC.

Thread Information