Widgets Magazine
Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 34353637383940 LastLast

Thread: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

1. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    I read OKCTalk (primarily in the "Development and Buildings" section) on a daily basis.
    I probably spend more time on OKCTalk during the day than I do working. Welcome to the club.

Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowStrings View Post
    I posted some of my background here the other day, but I figured I would introduce myself on this thread as well. I was born in Enid and lived in and around that area until college. I graduated from high school in 2009 and then spent five and a half years working on my undergrad and graduate degrees in Stillwater. I finished my BS in business administration in December 2012 and my MS in accounting in December 2014.

I am a public accountant by trade. I had an internship in downtown OKC during the summer of 2013 and just started working full-time (for the same firm) at the beginning of this year. I will be moving downtown very soon, which I am very excited about. I have visited OKC throughout my life, but now that I live here, I would love recommendations for pretty much everything. I'm single and living on my own for the first time, so I have to figure out this whole "being an adult" thing. The "Ask Anything About OKC" section has been helpful, and I will post there if I have specific questions. I have many interests such as traveling, tennis (and watching most sports), playing the violin, learning German, trivia, and Netflix. I would love to know more about what kind of tennis clubs or activities there are in the city as well as how I could get started (or at least see if I actually enjoy) rowing.

I began reading OKCTalk in late 2012/early 2013 because I heard a rumor about a new tower being built downtown, and I stumbled upon the mystery tower thread. I spent most of my time in that thread at first, but I slowly began reading other threads, and now I read OKCTalk (primarily in the "Development and Buildings" section) on a daily basis. I appreciate the new perspectives that reading this site has given me, and I look forward to being able to contribute a little bit more now that I am living in OKC.
    Nice, we were in Stillwater around the same time. I really miss it...

Long time forum viewer. Finally decided to add my 2 cents. Lifelong OKC resident. Love this forum! Usually ahead of the curve on local news and it helps me impress my friends with all the knowledge I have of new devlopment.

Welcome, CP405! I, too, lurked forever (several years) before starting to post. It's fun to be active now.

Hello!

I found OKCtalk while googling info on OKC when I was thinking of taking a job in OKC.
    I must say there are a lot of exciting things going on and a ton of growth which is certainly part of the allure for me to come to OKC.
    I am a Texan who attended OU for undergrad and loved my time in the state - friendly people, always felt safe, great cost of living and the life long friends and connections I had made.
    I've been living in Houston for the past 8 years. There are aspects I love and others I absolutely hate about living here.
    The traffic is just horrible, I will leave it at that.
    Things I love are the restaurants, parks, neighborhoods and museums.

When evaluating this new job, I used OKCTalk as my guide to the city to try to see if OKC would have what I needed to be happy.

Restaurants - Most of the recommendations and commentaries on restaurants were spot on. There are some excellent places to eat that really are top notch.

Parks - this is something I didn't get to see much of other than Lake Hefner and the Myriad Gardens park. I would definitely like to see more walking/nature trails.

Neighborhoods - I am not really a suburban kind of guy, nor am I really super modern cold sterile kind of living. Your lively discussion of the neighborhoods helped me hone the areas I wanted to look at as well as which hotels to stay in. Ultimately I decided to get a place in Deep Deuce. One thing I found out about living in Houston as that I largely stick to a 1-3 mile radius of where I lived, so a neighborhood with an identity is important to me.

Museums - Didn't check any out but I did drive by the art museum.

I will be moving to OKC soon and I am excited to undertake a new adventure and to be a part of a growing city.

Thanks for all the info!

Parks in OKC are a hit and miss. There are many more great parks here then we get credit for; the city just doesn't seem to do a good job of marketing them.

There is an awesome new trail system being built which is paving way to connect more parks and the river, so that is cool.

Here is a website for all of the parks.

http://www.okc.gov/parks/

But welcome to the forum and you'll enjoy Deep Deuce. It is an awesome up and coming area that is starting to rival Uptown Dallas. I honestly don't know much about Houston to compare it to. You'll have Bricktown for a close walk and I'm betting on some really cool announcements for Bricktown soon.

Thanks will definitely check this out.

9. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

If you're looking for hiking/nature trails, try this place:

http://www.okc.gov/parks/martin_park/

I never correctly introduced myself, this might be taboo but I post pretty frequently on this forum & I want you guys to get to know me a little bit better.

My name is John Crist. You can friend request me on FB if you like, no reason to hide my personal identity. Any opinion I share here I'm comfortable having my face attached with.

I was born in Moore, OK in 1988. Have lived in the OKC area my entire life, & probably will for the rest of it.

I attended Northeast Acadamy where I met my future wife (recently engaged!) & went to the University of Oklahoma where I I studied business with an emphasis on Supply Chain Management. I also minored in Health & Exercise Science & became certified as a personal trainer. While attending OU I worked for OU's men's basketball team as a student manager.

After I graduated I took a job at Weldon Truck Parts (headquartered in OKC with 18 locations nation wide, in 6 states) working in inventory control & purchasing. I've been here for close to 4 years now, and its been pretty good to me.

I recently just purchased my first home in Edmond, OK after living in SE OKC for quite sometime.

IMO OKCtalk.com is the best run & civil forum on the entire internet. You will never see a lack of trolling & disrespect on any public forum as you do here. I'm a development junky, love buildings & architecture & I'll probably read this website until the day I die.

I know I'm not a n00by, so no need to welcome me. Just wanted to give you guys a better idea of who I actually am.

Good stuff!

(What kind of truck parts you sell? )

Justin here. I've been a viewer of this website for a while now and totally dig it. I'm actually a Texas native out of Midland, however it was my deep family roots to this state that eventually would lead me here. Growing up we made countless 12+ hour drives (remember 55 Stay Alive) from Midland through NW Texas and all the way across this state to the family farm outside of Pawnee and I always remember driving through OKC as it was easily the largest city we'd drive through. As I made my way through college I eventually left SMU in Dallas for OU to complete my undergraduate degree. Meanwhile I was interning at a media relations office here, yet already had one foot out the door with a job offer from a Chicago-based ad agency -- I had no plans to stay here. It was the day I graduated I met this glorious OKC native who would later become my bride. Needless to say I never made it on that plane to Chicago and actually begged for the job I had previously turned down after my internship. 15 years later I'm loving every bit of this city and am so gracious to be a part of its glorious renaissance. I cannot be happier to be here with my wife raising our three youngsters.

My name is Thomas Vu. I wanted to try and find new restaurants around the area. Checked out OKC eater until I tripped upon this.

14. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

Welcome to the board, Thomas.

Hi, all! I just realized I haven't posted in this thread. My name is Kerwin. I was born in Ada and have spent most of my life in southeastern Oklahoma, the Choctaw Nation. I'm mostly Choctaw and many of my family members, including myself, are and have been very involved with the tribe, culturally and politically. I've lived in Silo, (near Durant), Bethel (in the Ouachita Mountains), Wright City (near Broken Bow and Idabel), Mead (near Durant), and Durant itself. I graduated from Durant in 2009 and afterwards, attended Southeastern for a year, and then transferred to OU to study architecture. I graduated from OU this past May and now work for a firm in Newcastle, AIP Enterprises. I am now an Oklahoma City resident, just north of downtown, as of three days ago!

New guy here. I was recently laid off from my decent paying oilfield job like a few thousand others. Will be starting an "in between" job at a local discount retailer stocking shelves at night for a third of what I used to make just to kind of make ends meet. Hoping to get on the Tinker train and snag up one of the 1000 positions they are hiring.

Anyway, a bit about me. Born and raised here. Tried to leave several times, always end up back in the same damn place. Grew up in a small town SW of OKC, did a few years in the military, and odd jobs til I met my better half. Been married almost 14 yrs with 3 beautiful boys, 10 yr old twins and a 8 yr old.

Look forward to contributing to the board and reading up on all the new stuff I've lost touch with.

Dan

^^Welcome to the board buddy!

Sidenote: Dan and I worked together (before I got laid off) and he wouldn't have known about this place if it weren't for me.

Look forward to your contributions and welcome to the board!

I don't know you! I've never worked with anyone named Braden. I found this place on my own. Didn't need any help from someone I don't know. You must be thinking of the wrong Dan.

Haha...

Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself. I haven't been able to give you **** since April. When the opportunity presents itself I can pass it up.

On a side note: The new Gulfport building is coming along nicely. Looks soooo much better than that piece of **** that Linn built.

On another side note: I hate living up here even more than usual. Traffic has gotten so much worse the past 6 months. Xmas traffic may be the death of me. I can't wait to get back to small town USA. I'm glad I work nights and will miss most of the idiots and their lack of driving skills because of retail intoxication.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFlyinDuc View Post
    Sorry dude, I couldn't help myself. I haven't been able to give you **** since April. When the opportunity presents itself I can pass it up.

On a side note: The new Gulfport building is coming along nicely. Looks soooo much better than that piece of **** that Linn built.

On another side note: I hate living up here even more than usual. Traffic has gotten so much worse the past 6 months. Xmas traffic may be the death of me. I can't wait to get back to small town USA. I'm glad I work nights and will miss most of the idiots and their lack of driving skills because of retail intoxication.
    I just now saw this... I never realized you gave me crap....notice if you say anything with an explicative on here its starred out...like Wa****a County for example, lol...

James here. Born and raised in OKC but had not lived here since high school (the early 2000s) until a few months ago. I lived in New York the past few years and began browsing OKCTalk as I considered moving back. The forum gave me a great overview of the momentum of the city and great advice on where to live, etc., making me regular reader after I made the move. I'm currently living in midtown, which I thoroughly enjoy and am a securities attorney at a "boutique" firm in town. It's great to see how far this city has come and I hope to see OKC fulfill its potential. This website plays an important role in the process due to the information it provides and the lively but respectful debate on policy/planning issues (I've always been a bit of an urban planning nerd) and I plan to contribute what I can!

I haven't updated in a long time. My name is Patrick. I originally started this thread in 2004, with my previous username. I left and came back with my new and current username in 2008. I helped start this site, with the previous owner, Todd Reagor. Original founding members were Keith, Mr. Anderson, Hot Rod, Kerry Decker, Laramie, and a few others. Prior to OKC Talk, we were very active on the Oklahoman's MAPS forum (yes, the Oklahoman used to have their own forum boards), prior to that "Talkback" on city hall's website. Yes, city hall used to have their own forum board on their website, which was managed by previous city webmaster Jim Gilmore.

I'm a psychiatrist physician in south OKC. I'm married for 10 years and have a 6 year old son. We live out in the burbs in west Edmond/Deer Creek. I enjoy local politics and seeing the renaissance in OKC. I'm a product of OKC Public schools, graduating from Northeast High School in 1998. I have a bachelor's degree from UCO and my doctorate from OU College of Medicine.

I haven't updated in a long time. My name is Patrick. I originally started this thread in 2004, with my previous username. I left and came back with my new and current username in 2008. I helped start this site, with the previous owner, Todd Reagor. Original founding members were Keith, Mr. Anderson, Hot Rod, Kerry Decker, Laramie, and a few others. Prior to OKC Talk, we were very active on the Oklahoman's MAPS forum (yes, the Oklahoman used to have their own forum boards), prior to that "Talkback" on city hall's website. Yes, city hall used to have their own forum board on their website, which was managed by previous city webmaster Jim Gilmore.

I'm a psychiatrist physician in south OKC. I'm married for 10 years and have a 6 year old son. We live out in the burbs in west Edmond/Deer Creek. I enjoy local politics and seeing the renaissance in OKC. I'm a product of OKC Public schools, graduating from Northeast High School in 1998. I have a bachelor's degree from UCO and my doctorate from OU College of Medicine.

25. Default Re: "Roll Call" - Introduce yourself

I am going to shamelessly plug myself with an update

My name is Richard Hauschild. I worked in the O&G business for about 8 years until I was laid off last year. I always had an interest in rental/income properties so I started H3 Properties, LLC and have 4 rentals right now in the 70th and May Area, 36th and western, and North Quail Creek. Here is my FB page (https://www.facebook.com/H3PropertiesLLC/) for that so you or someone you know is interested in renting have them look there for updates

I also have my realtors licence now and I joined the great firm at Re/Max First in Nichols Hills. If you are looking to buy or sell, or just want to snoop around just contact me though my FB page (https://www.facebook.com/richardatremax/) or through my website (http://www.richard.remax-oklahoma.com/) and I will help you out

Thanks again and Shameless plug over!

Thread Information