Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 469
  1. #201

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Flailing?

    In one instance it would be plenty to make sure no one like that steps foot into the people's house, yet in the other it's completely overlooked. I'm just saying.
    what are you just saying?

  2. #202

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    what are you just saying?
    I'm saying the leaders at Westboro would be correctly ostracized from leading our congress in prayer for their extremely critical stance on gays, yet we should welcome those who preach hate for Jews. Got it.

  3. #203

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Maybe we should just separate church from state.

    ... just an idea I heard of once.

  4. #204

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I'm saying the leaders at Westboro would be correctly ostracized from leading our congress in prayer for their extremely critical stance on gays, yet we should welcome those who preach hate for Jews. Got it.
    Has this man preached hate for Jews? Would you document this? If he has I have zero issue with stopping his participation.

    Or are you again just assuming he has preached hate for Jews because he is Muslim, just like you assumed he was sexist because he is Muslim. Which again would be a bigoted assumption. If so, you are kind of preaching hate for Muslims here. Should we block you?

    And this is not Congress, it's the state legislature. Again, I have no issue with blocking any particular minister from participating if they have made bigoted statements in the past, we should even make a rule to such a standard when selecting people. And it should include hateful statements towards the LGBT community.

    But Strohm attempted to make a rule that effectively blocked all minority religions from participating. Which is also bigoted.

    I do agree with BDP that really religion should be out of government. All religions.

  5. #205

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Has this man preached hate for Jews? Would you document this? If he has I have zero issue with stopping his participation.
    He grew up as a Palestinian refuge and when the beheading occurred in OKC I heard people that formerly attended his center in OKC claim as much (but admittedly i can't find them now). Considering his upbringing its not hard to imagine that he had some animosity for the Jewish state, and by extension Jews.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I do agree with BDP that really religion should be out of government. All religions.
    As do I since politics and religion already intersect too much as it is.

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    But Strohm attempted to make a rule that effectively blocked all minority religions from participating. Which is also bigoted.
    Really? Making news here I think, or reading way to much into it. Or maybe I just don't understand what the word minority religion means. Apparently Stohm didn't have any problems with these "majority" religions.

    http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/capit...8c5461641.html

  6. #206

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Hopefully something good comes of this...

    http://thefederalist.com/2018/04/24/...ed-84-million/

  7. #207

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Something good like making trump look less horrific by comparison?

  8. #208

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Something good like making trump look less horrific by comparison?
    Take your Trump hating glasses off.

    Clinton ain't gonna be President at this point. Hopefully doing something to dissuade future nominees from exhibiting this level of corruption would be nice. Nobody looses in this one.

  9. #209

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Why "conservatives" need so much to see HRC punished is very strange and obsessive. She's old. Who will replace her when she passes?

  10. #210

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Why "conservatives" need so much to see HRC punished is very strange and obsessive. She's old. Who will replace her when she passes?
    Clinton is just a symptom of the disease that is a corrupt political party system in this country. Would be nice to see even if it was the RNC.

  11. #211

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Has this "bombshell" exploded yet? No? I guess that's because the "fake news" refuses to cover it because everybody knows the "fake news" controls the world.

    Or, maybe this claim of "bombshell," like all the others before it, is just more partisan hackery with lots of innuendo but little substance.

    It's really kind of sad how much time, money, and emotion folks have spent in the past 25 years attempting to imprison HRC with zero indictments to show for it. It must be because she is an evil genius capable of bending the world to serve her.

    Oddly enough, those obsessed with HRC also believe her to have been completely incompetent. An interesting and ironic conclusion.

    Its also sad, but also funny, how often people of any ideological perspective can be convinced that those they hate are simultaneously "complete incompetents" and "evil geniuses." Does anyone ever see any contradictions in this?

  12. #212

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond_Outsider View Post
    Has this "bombshell" exploded yet? No? I guess that's because the "fake news" refuses to cover it because everybody knows the "fake news" controls the world.

    Or, maybe this claim of "bombshell," like all the others before it, is just more partisan hackery with lots of innuendo but little substance.

    It's really kind of sad how much time, money, and emotion folks have spent in the past 25 years attempting to imprison HRC with zero indictments to show for it. It must be because she is an evil genius capable of bending the world to serve her.

    Oddly enough, those obsessed with HRC also believe her to have been completely incompetent. An interesting and ironic conclusion.

    Its also sad, but also funny, how often people of any ideological perspective can be convinced that those they hate are simultaneously "complete incompetents" and "evil geniuses." Does anyone ever see any contradictions in this?
    I see contradictions all day in your statement, but I bet you don't. Funny how some don't really understand the concept of fake news.

    I never suggested guilt, just that I hoped something good came of it, as in this might stop people from gaming the system to raise ungodly amounts of money to make a mockery of our electoral system. But hey, you see what you want to see.

  13. #213

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    A mockery of the electoral system? Is it a contradiction that a president who claims "millions" of fraudulent voters but has no proof think HRC has made a "mockery" of the electoral system? I'm not sure, but it is ironic

    What I understand about "fake news," is the phrase was used by many of the websites that carried the federalist's "bombshell" announcement to mean any media that does not continually praise trump.

    I'm sure I'm wrong.

  14. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world


  15. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    This was *almost* a good thing, and still might become one if she doesn't get through the hearings.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0c4f19323c204

  16. #216

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So the 17th Amendment squared. How could this go wrong?

  17. #217

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So the 17th Amendment squared. How could this go wrong?
    So representative democracy is wrong now?

  18. #218

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    So representative democracy is wrong now?
    For America (a republic might I remind you), yes it most definitely is.

  19. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    For America (a republic might I remind you), yes it most definitely is.
    I kind of, sort of want to ask why, but I believe these folks have probably got it figured out, and also I honestly don't really care why you think it's wrong.

    https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/...-2013-2-21.pdf

    https://www.nationalpopularvote.com/

  20. #220

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    For America (a republic might I remind you), yes it most definitely is.
    Specifically, we are a Constitutional Federal Democratic Republic.

    So how is representative democracy wrong? It is the method that a Democratic Republic, which is what this country is, uses to elect leaders.

    On a serious note, this is an excellent example of how fascists and dictators come to power. They so delude people that they start to believe that up is down and wrong is right.

  21. #221

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Specifically, we are a Constitutional Federal Democratic Republic.

    So how is representative democracy wrong? It is the method that a Democratic Republic, which is what this country is, uses to elect leaders.

    On a serious note, this is an excellent example of how fascists and dictators come to power. They so delude people that they start to believe that up is down and wrong is right.
    You are making that last point beautifully.

    I hate to break it to you but the "people" have never directly elected the President of the United States. History man...

    And the 17th amendment took us from a representative democracy (which I do think is good) to a direct democracy at a state level. Way to go on that front as well.

  22. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world


  23. #223

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Specifically, we are a Constitutional Federal Democratic Republic.

    So how is representative democracy wrong? It is the method that a Democratic Republic, which is what this country is, uses to elect leaders.

    On a serious note, this is an excellent example of how fascists and dictators come to power. They so delude people that they start to believe that up is down and wrong is right.
    Funny that Hitler rode that wave of populism pretty well. Yet you guys want more more more.

    Even more ironic, the response in Germany was to have even more indirect elections of the President.

    Yes, the brainwashing is strong here.

  24. #224

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You are making that last point beautifully.

    I hate to break it to you but the "people" have never directly elected the President of the United States. History man...

    And the 17th amendment took us from a representative democracy (which I do think is good) to a direct democracy at a state level. Way to go on that front as well.
    I am fully aware of the electoral college. It needs to go. It does not work, nor has it ever worked as intended. It's a mistake.

    And you need to look of the definitions of "Direct Democracy" and "Representative Democracy", you are confused. State questions like the one coming on medical marijuana are examples of Direct Democracy. Senators that are elected by the people vs Senators being elected by state legislators that are elected by the people are both examples of Representative Democracy. Just not the same example.

  25. #225

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    I am fully aware of the electoral college. It needs to go. It does not work, nor has it ever worked as intended. It's a mistake.

    And you need to look of the definitions of "Direct Democracy" and "Representative Democracy", you are confused. State questions like the one coming on medical marijuana are examples of Direct Democracy. Senators that are elected by the people vs Senators being elected by state legislators that are elected by the people are both examples of Representative Democracy. Just not the same example.
    I understand fine. Federal is a representative (of the states). Local/states are often direct democracies just because the alternative isn't really practical. However, what you are suggesting (popular vote) is a federal direct democracy, well, at least for the executive branch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 11:22 AM
  2. What in the world is happening with Oklahoma's gas prices?
    By AFCM in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 10:13 AM
  3. In this thread we say good things about our kids
    By Patrick in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 10:54 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 11:36 AM
  5. In this thread we say good things about Tulsa
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-30-2005, 11:14 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO