Widgets Magazine
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 469
  1. #101

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    What power differential did he have? Excusing rapists while claiming others are. Hrm. Learning more and more about you. I mean, a businessman having consetial sex with a woman he has no power over is totally the same as a president having sex with his intern. Knowing is half the power. Evidently the other half is enabling sexual criminals. The more you know.

  2. #102

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Does power derive only from employer/subordinate relationships? Calling Clinton a rapist renders the term meaningless. I’d put that accusation on par when th the “hit list.”. This topic is boring and pointless. I’ll concede, again, that trump is the best, most moral, richest and most handsome king ever. His fans have every reason to worship him.

  3. #103

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Ok, fell free to be an apologist. The victims will thank you. Obviously, party over morals.

    You've clarified your moral stance and character. Thanks. We'll all keep it in mind in the future. At least you're honest about it.

  4. #104

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    The funny thing is that progressives are trying to juxtapose Trump with conservative voters that for whatever reason they think voted for Trump because of his moral high ground, when in reality nothing could be further from the truth. They are chasing a ghost in essence because that voter doesn't exist.

  5. #105

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The funny thing is that progressives are trying to juxtapose Trump with conservative voters that for whatever reason they think voted for Trump because of his moral high ground, when in reality nothing could be further from the truth. They are chasing a ghost in essence because that voter doesn't exist.
    Exactly. I didn't vote for Trump last time although it may have been a good decision, but he didn't draw the faith and values voters. He drew the "it's the economy stupid" voters. Well, unemployment is lowest it's been in half a century, the stock market is at record highs, the us will be the largest exporter of energy in a year, and personal income is looking great for most Americans. I may have been wrong in my last vote and I see why the panic and TDS is so high.

  6. #106

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    And on the consent side, a 14 yo boy will totally testify that he consented with sex with his teacher. I guess that's not an issue with EO huh? Or only when defending a Democrat?

  7. #107

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Good things!

    President Donald Trump loves to talk about creating jobs, and now has more than a million jobs to point to.

    With July's jobs report, employers have added a total of 1,074,000 jobs during Trump's first six full months in office.

    That essentially matches the 1,084,000 jobs created during President Barack Obama's last six months in office. Both round to 1.1 million, and the 10,000 difference is well within the margin of error of the Labor Department estimate.

    Of course, Trump's six-month record is far better than Obama's first six months, when 3.4 million jobs were lost. That's because Obama was sworn in during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, when the economy was hemorrhaging jobs.

    By contrast, Obama handed Trump an economy that was close to what economists consider full employment. The unemployment rate on Inauguration Day was 4.8%, and it has fallen since then, to 4.3% in July.

    At full employment, businesses have an extremely difficult time finding available, qualified workers to fill job openings.

    In fact, if Obama left a problem for Trump, it wasn't that the economy was too weak -- it was that the labor market was almost too strong. Employers may well be hiring faster if they weren't having so much trouble finding the workers they need.

    http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/04/news...ama/index.html

  8. #108

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Good things!

    President Donald Trump loves to talk about creating jobs, and now has more than a million jobs to point to.

    With July's jobs report, employers have added a total of 1,074,000 jobs during Trump's first six full months in office.

    That essentially matches the 1,084,000 jobs created during President Barack Obama's last six months in office. Both round to 1.1 million, and the 10,000 difference is well within the margin of error of the Labor Department estimate.

    Of course, Trump's six-month record is far better than Obama's first six months, when 3.4 million jobs were lost. That's because Obama was sworn in during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression, when the economy was hemorrhaging jobs.

    By contrast, Obama handed Trump an economy that was close to what economists consider full employment. The unemployment rate on Inauguration Day was 4.8%, and it has fallen since then, to 4.3% in July.

    At full employment, businesses have an extremely difficult time finding available, qualified workers to fill job openings.

    In fact, if Obama left a problem for Trump, it wasn't that the economy was too weak -- it was that the labor market was almost too strong. Employers may well be hiring faster if they weren't having so much trouble finding the workers they need.

    http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/04/news...ama/index.html
    If there were a net loss in jobs over that period, or a slow down in growth, you may have something (in your quest to knock Trump down a peg or 50). But as it stands Trump has taken an economy that had been experiencing some growth (at least in the job sector) and only helped it along even further. Also I expect job growth to start slowing when it is nearly saturated. In other words when everyone is already working, I don't to see explosive job growth numbers. In fact, I would expect to see the opposite.

    I noticed GDP was completely left out of the analysis.

  9. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Think y'all could maybe move this discussion to the "President Trump" thread, since it's been massively derailed?

  10. #110
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    12,665
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Think y'all could maybe move this discussion to the "President Trump" thread, since it's been massively derailed?
    What? Is there a shortage of good things happening in the political world? LOL

  11. #111

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Think y'all could maybe move this discussion to the "President Trump" thread, since it's been massively derailed?
    So unemployment decreases = good
    Unemployment decreases under a godforsaken president = not good.

  12. #112

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    So unemployment decreases = good
    Unemployment decreases under a godforsaken president = not good.
    Trends will be trends. At least Trump hasn't destroyed the economy yet.

    If Trump was elected because it's-the-economy-stupid, ( which seems to be a piece of the story at least) and the economy is good as a result of Trump's policies (which arguably may or may not be the case)...why the record low approval rating?

  13. #113

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by mkjeeves View Post
    Trends will be trends. At least Trump hasn't destroyed the economy yet.

    If Trump was elected because it's-the-economy-stupid, ( which seems to be a piece of the story at least) and the economy is good as a result of Trump's policies (which arguably may or may not be the case)...why the record low approval rating?
    Because only (less than) half the country elected him because of the economy stupid. Half his disapproval rating is likely due the fact that he is not Hillary Clinton. And even you know that.

    That's a pretty sad gotcha.

    And I completely understand it is debatable as to how much, if at all, the Trump policies have positively or negatively effected the economy. The economy is complex. That's why being president and actually helping the economy is really hard.

  14. #114

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Half his disapproval rating is likely due the fact that he is not Hillary Clinton.
    Fer sure. He is not Hillary Clinton. Even his base is not all that happy though. Obviously and the point, it's more than the-economy-stupid, which he probably has had very little to do with at this point.

    Trump’s numbers have steadily declined since his inauguration in January, but his handling of recovery efforts aftger recent natural disasters could be to blame for his numbers hitting an all-time low.

    Keep up with this story and more by subscribing now

    White evangelical Christians and white men without college degrees are no longer supporting the president with the same fervor as they did during the election, when the president won 80 percent and 71 percent of their votes, respectively.

    His support among white men without a college degree slid to 56 percent from 68 percent and among and among white evangelical Christians fell to 66 percent from 74 percent, according to the poll.

    Experts say Trump's strategy of playing to his core base is alienating some of his supporters and could keep his approval ratings from increasing anytime soon.

    Trump’s dwindling support may have something to do with voters' lack of trust in the president and his Twitter account.

    Fifty-seven percent of voters disapproved of the president’s tweets and 30 percent wished he “would be more cautious.”

    http://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump...her-hit-693657

  15. #115

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    You may laugh at this, but I think in the long run, Trump's liberal tendencies are going to be his undoing with whatever supporters he has left. Particularly if he actually acts on them.

  16. #116

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You may laugh at this, but I think in the long run, Trump's liberal tendencies are going to be his undoing with whatever supporters he has left. Particularly if he actually acts on them.
    For the record, is sleeping with a porn star considered a liberal tendency? I don't think this has affected his support in the least. I think he could get behind socialized medicine, nationalize the oil and gas industries and declare war on Mexico without slipping another point in the polls.

  17. #117

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by midtowner View Post
    for the record, is sleeping with a porn star considered a liberal tendency? I don't think this has affected his support in the least. I think he could get behind socialized medicine, nationalize the oil and gas industries and declare war on mexico without slipping another point in the polls.
    tds

  18. #118

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    tds
    You're trying to be cute. I get it. But really, if sleeping with a porn star while married doesn't hurt your evangelical base support, why on Earth do you think his "liberal tendencies" could ever be a problem? Whatever Trump does and whatever he says is now what Conservatism is.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Trump won because he was running against Hillary Clinton. A lot of evangelicals held their noses and voted for him because she was on the other side.

    The news that he was sleeping with a porn star just confirms that Donald Trump is exactly who I thought he was. His version of conservatism is the result of a specific time, and a specific election. I don't think it outlasts him.

  20. #120

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You're trying to be cute. I get it. But really, if sleeping with a porn star while married doesn't hurt your evangelical base support, why on Earth do you think his "liberal tendencies" could ever be a problem? Whatever Trump does and whatever he says is now what Conservatism is.
    Wait till he starts bending to the open borders/free immigration types. Then get back with me.

    The only thing that has changed about conservatism is how easily his opponents throw that label on him, when less than a year before his run, that title never would have came anywhere near him.

  21. #121

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    You're trying to be cute. I get it. But really, if sleeping with a porn star while married doesn't hurt your evangelical base support, why on Earth do you think his "liberal tendencies" could ever be a problem? Whatever Trump does and whatever he says is now what Conservatism is.
    So you mean politics as normal? Basically, Trump is now a Kennedy or a Clinton? At least he hasn't raped or killed a girl, right?

    Assuming his wife was okay with it I don't care what he did. There is such a thing as open marriages. Are we now judging poly folks? How discriminatory. Poly lives matter.

  22. #122

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    So you mean politics as normal? Basically, Trump is now a Kennedy or a Clinton? At least he hasn't raped or killed a girl, right?
    You're not suggesting that I'm a hypocrite for defending behavior which occurred when I was in middle school are you? That stuff is ancient history. In my adult life, I never was much of a fan of Bill Clinton or Kennedy, but in my adult life, all of those transgressions were so far in the past. Also, neither of these guys ran as a make-believe Presbyterian with fake favorite Bible verses and everything.

    Assuming his wife was okay with it I don't care what he did. There is such a thing as open marriages. Are we now judging poly folks? How discriminatory. Poly lives matter.
    Considering how his White House is open to discriminating against people with alternative lifestyles, I'd think this is something.

    http://fortune.com/2017/09/26/white-...mp-lgbt-zarda/

  23. #123

    Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    You were a middle schooler when Clinton was in high school?

  24. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    Glad some of the ridiculous anti-abortion restrictions/laws are being challenged:

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0e5630072cdc7

  25. Default Re: Good things happening in the political world

    And more gerrymandering being struck down as illegally partisan:

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...ushpmg00000009

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-19-2012, 12:22 PM
  2. What in the world is happening with Oklahoma's gas prices?
    By AFCM in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 11:13 AM
  3. In this thread we say good things about our kids
    By Patrick in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2006, 11:54 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last Post: 05-09-2006, 12:36 PM
  5. In this thread we say good things about Tulsa
    By Patrick in forum General Civic Issues
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 12:14 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO