Widgets Magazine
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alcohol tax question

Default Re: Alcohol tax question

I am a good tipper (when it's earned), and I tip on the before tax amount. I have searched this several times and that is the acceptable norm everywhere. What is a tip for, delivery of a product and attention to detail such as refilling water/tea glasses, noticing that I am very close to finishing my beer and offering another, et al. The tax has nothing to do with service. I'm sure nobody would complain, but $1.00 per drink seems low if the service is good. I suppose it depends on what you are drinking. I drink craft beer and they are always at least $6.00, so a good tip should be $1.20 to $1.80.
    C. T.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchandler View Post
    I am a good tipper (when it's earned), and I tip on the before tax amount. I have searched this several times and that is the acceptable norm everywhere. What is a tip for, delivery of a product and attention to detail such as refilling water/tea glasses, noticing that I am very close to finishing my beer and offering another, et al. The tax has nothing to do with service. I'm sure nobody would complain, but $1.00 per drink seems low if the service is good. I suppose it depends on what you are drinking. I drink craft beer and they are always at least $6.00, so a good tip should be $1.20 to $1.80.
    C. T.
    True, but it takes the same amount of effort to bring me a $3 Coors as it does a $6 F5. But that digresses into a whole other discussion about tipping philosophy. As I said, I tip on the total after tax, so I think it all comes out OK for the server if I've gotten halfway decent service.

C. T.
    When all they're doing is popping off the cap of a bottle and handing it to me? And there's no water/tea service? Nah, I'm fine with giving a dollar a drink. And I'm a former waiter and my sister was a bartender until recently. But it balances out. If I'm at a coin beer event, I do the same thing (drop a dollar in the tip jar every time I get a drink). If I tipped on percentage then, it would suck for them.

I don't disagree with either of the above replies to me, but I will say that there are benefits to tipping the way I do. I am listed as a "VIP" at one bar and automatically receive a 25 percent discount. At another here in Midwest City, last week I received a free "Kitchen Mistake" meal from the manager while I was enjoying a local (Roughtail Hoptometrist) craft beer. Now, does it pay off for me? It might be a "wash" but it suits me and I think the bartenders are happy as well.
    C. T.

I don't disagree with either of the above replies to me, but I will say that there are benefits to tipping the way I do. I am listed as a "VIP" at one bar and automatically receive a 25 percent discount. At another here in Midwest City, last week I received a free "Kitchen Mistake" meal from the manager while I was enjoying a local (Roughtail Hoptometrist) craft beer. Now, does it pay off for me? It might be a "wash" but it suits me and I think the bartenders are happy as well.
    C. T.
    There are definitely places I'll tip more generously, for example, if it's a spot I frequent and they recognize me. I'd much rather be known as a generous tipper at someplace I go to a lot. Of course, I'm probably frequenting the place because of their service, so it's a win-win. I'd rather show my dissatisfaction with a bar/restaurant by not going back instead of leaving a bad tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    Where was the powerful OK Restaurant Association when these ridiculous taxes were being passed?
    The taxation amounts have never changed, they were set when liquor by the drink was passes in I believe 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by JarrodH View Post
    The taxation amounts have never changed, they were set when liquor by the drink was passes in I believe 1987.
    But why did they let this happen then?

I suppose everyone was so desperate for legit liquor by the drink that they just let them put in these ridiculous rates.

I suppose everyone was so desperate for legit liquor by the drink that they just let them put in these ridiculous rates.
    Funny how those things work, Isnt it? You allow them to tax at a ridiculous rate because its the only hope you have of getting it passed. Typical government taxation.

It was sold as a revenue stream (and it was 1985). Even then the vote only barely passed at 51%. Part of it was to offset the loss of revenue from bottle club membership fees that went to the state.

Now this is a tax cut I can get behind.

Bice seeks lower liquor consumption tax rate
    By: Molly M. Fleming The Journal Record February 1, 2017 0

OKLAHOMA CITY – State Sen. Stephanie Bice wants to lower a tax rate. But she said the change would not create a larger budget deficit.
    The Oklahoma City-area Republican filed Senate Bill 58, which would lower the alcohol consumption tax to 10 percent from 13.5 percent.
    “I’m lowering the tax rate, but we’re still going to make money,” Bice said.
    The alcohol consumption tax is applied only to prepared drinks, not alcoholic beverages that are purchased in a package.
    Oklahoma’s 3.2-percent beer is often not taxed in restaurants. When beer is switched to one strength in October 2018, the existing 13.5-percent tax rate will be a large jump for some beer consumers.
    The 10-percent rate is almost a middle ground between no tax and having a tax, Bice said.
    Oklahoma Restaurant Association President and CEO Jim Hopper said the organization supports the measure, and may even pursue getting the rate lower than 10 percent. He said the association’s concern is that if the consumption tax is not lowered, then people may choose to stay home to consume alcohol because it would be cheaper.
    He commended Sen. Bice for working with the organization on meeting its concerns.
    Bice said when she started working on changing the state’s alcohol laws in 2016, the ORA approached her about lowering the consumption rate. This year, the association came back and asked for a separate bill, and she was happy to oblige.
    She said some of her legislative colleagues are concerned with her bill because, on its face, it is lowering a tax rate. The Oklahoma Tax Commission is still running its calculations, but she said the revenue will remain in the millions.
    SB 58 is one of several alcohol-related bills that Bice is running this year.
    The Alcoholic Beverage Laws Enforcement Commission is watching Senate Bills 174, 211, and 257. SB 211 and SB 257 would allow for a county-option vote on Sunday liquor store sales and a county-option vote for children 12 years old and younger to enter the liquor store, respectively.
    SB 174 would allow a married couple to own multiple liquor stores. Each spouse could have a retail spirit license for up to two liquor stores. The current law forbids the spouse of a liquor store licensee from also having licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Uptowner View Post
    What kind of Godzilla vs The state of Oklahoma scenario would result in the states decision to lower the liquor by the drink tax rate?
    I stand dumbfoundedly, if only partially, corrected. I am very eager to see how this plays out. The Oklahoma Restaurant Association could turn out to be a pretty heavy hitter.

The alcohol consumption tax is applied only to prepared drinks, not alcoholic beverages that are purchased in a package.
    Oklahoma’s 3.2-percent beer is often not taxed in restaurants. When beer is switched to one strength in October 2018, the existing 13.5-percent tax rate will be a large jump for some beer consumers.
    This is a bit deceiving because high-point beer is already taxed in restaurants.

But certainly, the overall tax collection will go up since there will be no more tax-exempt low-point beer being sold (as it is assumed it will no longer be manufactured after the law change).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but in Oklahoma, your published price is legally supposed to include the 13.5% tax, meaning no line item tax added to the bill at the end?

I will say this is something that foreigners absolutely detest about the United States. Why we can't just include tax prices in the published price and show tax distribution in another part of the receipt, is beyond me.

Thread Information