Widgets Magazine
Page 9 of 63 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131459 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Im not a conservative. Your narrow and warped view of the world is perfectly in line with the biases, misconceptions, and false premises you choose to reinforce it with.
    OK, you're not a liberal or a moderate, from what I can tell, so how do you define yourself in that kind of belief spectrum?

Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

He's one of those "Classical Liberals" I'm guessing.

3. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Quote Originally Posted by BlackmoreRulz View Post
    That right there is hilarious coming from the guy that continually posts these highly slanted articles but fails to open his mind on why no one takes them seriously.
    So you're speaking for everybody that reads this forum by saying "no one" takes the articles I post seriously? Or is "no one" code for conservatives?

I freely admit that some of the articles I post have bias, but it's known that the liberal and conservative thinking styles (even their brain structures) are different and conservatives aren't as flexible thinkers as liberals.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/in.../#.WIu7lLIrKUk

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    So you're speaking for everybody that reads this forum by saying "no one" takes the articles I post seriously? Or is "no one" code for conservatives?

I freely admit that some of the articles I post have bias, but it's known that the liberal and conservative thinking styles (even their brain structures) are different and conservatives aren't as flexible thinkers as liberals.

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/in.../#.WIu7lLIrKUk
    Can you really not see the irony of this? You are so narrow-minded that you can not conceive of anyone but a conservative not finding your obviously and blatantly biased propaganda sites to be credible.

6. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Disgusting, horrible and scary that this person is in the position he's in.

Similar comments are why Pompeo (nominee for CIA director) isn't fit for the job:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...115635853.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._holy_war.html

7. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Some of the things in this article are quite troubling, wondering how dangerous Bannon is and is going to be...

http://foreignpolicy.com/2017/01/30/...ump-president/

8. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Article mainly about how bad it will most likely be with so many Goldman Sachs people in this administration, but there are a few paragraphs that tell why it would be bad to have Mnuchin and Cohn in the administration.

http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/1762..._donald_trump/

9. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Public education in this country is probably f***ed, DeVos just got confirmed.

Public education in this country is probably f***ed, DeVos just got confirmed.
    How much federal control or involvement is there really in local school systems?

If you want to see something crazy look at Lankfords Facebook page in the visitor comments. I have never seen so many negative posts against him for the DeVoss nomination vote. I guess I'm not surprised he voted yes even though it looks like he must have had a ton of negative calls over the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    If you want to see something crazy look at Lankfords Facebook page in the visitor comments. I have never seen so many negative posts against him for the DeVoss nomination vote. I guess I'm not surprised he voted yes even though it looks like he must have had a ton of negative calls over the last few weeks.
    Yes, in this case he was definitely more of a politician than being an elected representative of the people. It was clear that a large majority of the people didnt agree with DeVos' appointment.

But please, like anyone would have thought he wouldnt have voted for her. He is giddy at the thought of more tax dollars going to private Christian schools.

13. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    How much federal control or involvement is there really in local school systems?
    Don't know, since I've never had kids (and obviously wasn't concerned with that when I *was* a kid), but it's probably still bad overall for her specifically to be confirmed (and I'm not going to post why I think she's bad, done with that kind of stuff, my time will be better spent actually being an activist against what's happening in our government than on message boards).

14. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    Yes, in this case he was definitely more of a politician than being an elected representative of the people. It was clear that a large majority of the people didnt agree with DeVos' appointment.

But please, like anyone would have thought he wouldnt have voted for her. He is giddy at the thought of more tax dollars going to private Christian schools.
    Ha, beat me to it while I was typing my other post. Have Inhofe or Lankford ever voted along non-party lines (rhetorical question since they probably have at some point, but they're about as partisan as it gets)?

How much should they have or do they have. Lately they just seem to be really good at adding mandatory costs to local school districts budgets and pulling funding out from under states.

Don't know, since I've never had kids (and obviously wasn't concerned with that when I *was* a kid), but it's probably still bad overall for her specifically to be confirmed (and I'm not going to post why I think she's bad, done with that kind of stuff, my time will be better spent actually being an activist against what's happening in our government than on message boards).
    I looked it up, because I was curious. Evidently the Federal Sec of Ed has a very limited/soft power. Not much direct power, and only if new legislation or appropriation is passed could much be changed. She more sets the tone and coordinates between the states, so like her or hate her, I don't expect much to change.

17. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

"I have decided, however, to stop taking offense at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect some things in return. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues. We expect a return on our investment... Furthermore, we expect the Republican party to use the money to promote these policies, and yes, to win elections.”
    Devos in '97

She was confirmed the day Trump made her his pick. Sad!
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Devos in '97

She was confirmed the day Trump made her his pick. Sad!
    You're right, it would be much better if she just kept bull ****ting everyone. That's what we had before. Remember "you can keep you plan if you like it".

19. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You're right, it would be much better if she just kept bull ****ting everyone. That's what we had before. Remember "you can keep you plan if you like it".
    Oh believe me, I appreciate her honesty.

It's just sad that all it takes to confirm someone so uniquely unqualified is a little bribe. American democracy is no more it seems.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ma...-today-9123691
    The truth is never embarrassed by honest inquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Oh believe me, I appreciate her honesty.

It's just sad that all it takes to confirm someone so uniquely unqualified is a little bribe. American democracy is no more it seems.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/ma...-today-9123691
    Yeah, it's not her honesty that's concerning. It's the widespread acceptance of that form of government. I still can't wrap my head around how much Clinton's corruption was justifiably concerning for many Republicans, but now it doesn't matter to them when it comes to Trump's administration. Many do seem to be buying into the Trump philosophy that winning makes you right. I think I kind of assumed (hoped?) that the large number of Republican primary voters who did not want Trump to be their party leader would eventually serve as a check on his administration, much like I would have hoped that Sanders and his supporters would have done with a Clinton administration.

With so much information at our fingertips, you'd think that all the obvious, and now admitted, examples of corruption would serve to motivate people to demand reform. But, more and more, it's just become "it's really no big deal, and, by the way, screw you, WE won!". Maybe we should just remove the phony democratic and republican ideals from our civics classes and teach it as the oligarchy that it's becoming (become?).

Quote Originally Posted by FighttheGoodFight View Post
    He kind of walked into it by accusing the Dems of being obstructive. The Republicans just ignored a supreme court nomination for 293 days. Didn't even give him a hearing. The longest before that was 125 days.

Too much.
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Too much.
    How so? Is it just too much or what it does with it?

Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    How so? Is it just too much or what it does with it?
    Why do we need a department of education?
    Don't hassle me, I'm local.

Thread Information