Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 63 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111257 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1560
  1. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    You risk making public every facet of life because it could be argued it is "for the greater good". Same slippery slope that we are dealing with in saying that health care is a "right". Get ready for high internet prices once we start making it a right.
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights says health care is a right:

    Article 25.

    (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.

  2. #152

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights says health care is a right:

    Article 25.

    (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
    That is no more legally binding or legitimate than Eric's declaration that it isn't a right.

    Find it in the U.S. Constitution, get it into the U,S Constitution, or move. Those are your options.

  3. #153

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Your analogy supported MY argument, not yours... thats how I know you dont really know what NN does.. you just want to enjoy your Netflix no matter what effect it has on anyone else. Which is ironic because your initial reaction was a childish emotional outburst about the "greed" of telecoms for having the audacity to make money.... while your own motivation is simply your personal greed of wanting the government to force other people to pay for your Netflix at gunpoint.
    You seem a bit too focused on the power and greed statement. If you want to tell me that "because the telecoms already have enough power and money?' is a childish emotional outburst, then fine, but try sticking to my other main arguments that you havent attempted to rebut or bring up.

    I dont want the ISPs to be able to turn off certain parts of my internet anymore than I want OG&E to be able to power off certain appliances in my house. Thats all NN does, is place the internet in the same category as power or telephone utilities.

  4. #154

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by onthestrip View Post
    You seem a bit too focused on the power and greed statement. If you want to tell me that "because the telecoms already have enough power and money?' is a childish emotional outburst, then fine, but try sticking to my other main arguments that you havent attempted to rebut or bring up.

    I dont want the ISPs to be able to turn off certain parts of my internet anymore than I want OG&E to be able to power off certain appliances in my house. Thats all NN does, is place the internet in the same category as power or telephone utilities.

    I am focused on it because it is very telling of your mindset, motivations, and maturity level. If you didnt want your greed being brought out in the open you shouldnt have started off with that ****.

    No, that is not "all NN does" and the internet is not like ****ing electricity. Your analogy was terrible and you dont know anything about NN. Go troll somewhere else.

  5. #155

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Universal Declaration of Human Rights says health care is a right:

    Article 25.

    (1) Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.
    (2) Motherhood and childhood are entitled to special care and assistance. All children, whether born in or out of wedlock, shall enjoy the same social protection.
    To each their own, but not my own.

    In addition, it is a declaration. About the same weight globally as Congress renaming a Post Office. Actually even less than that.

  6. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    The net neutrality discussion has gotten strange - it in no way can be compared to any kind of physical road or package delivery system, it's not physical. It also isn't about how much someone pays for their internet service (not yet). Compare it to telephone service - telephone companies are "common carriers", the wires/towers carry signals from AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint, ad infinitum. The telephone companies are not allowed to discriminate against traffic from one company vs. another, they all go through and nothing is prioritized (hence the busy signals when towers/COs are over-utilized). Net neutrality is that, and as Chadanth said, we're at that point right now and it's working pretty well.

    Here's the man who came up with the entire concept, this page (along with possibly some of the others on the left margin, but I haven't gotten to those yet) should be read and digested: http://www.timwu.org/network_neutrality.html

    Wu says this:

    "I think it’s important to differentiate sharply between the principle of network neutrality and a network neutrality law. It’s a mistake to equivocate the design principle with proposed legislation of various forms. A neutral network might be designed without legal prodding – as in the original internet. In an ideal world, either competition or enlightened self-interest might drive carriers to design neutral networks.

    However, when that isn’t the case—when carriers are interested in discriminating for one of various reasons -- matters get more difficult, and a law may be necessary.

    To my mind, laws are most successful when they combat harmful behavior. To my mind, the basic justification for any law on network neutrality is an economic justification -- preventing behavior that may be narrowly beneficial for the carrier but that has negative spillovers for the economy and the nation. "

  7. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    To each their own, but not my own.

    In addition, it is a declaration. About the same weight globally as Congress renaming a Post Office. Actually even less than that.
    Well, since the US never signed on to it, yeah, meaningless to us, but lots of other countries think it's a right, and some countries have implemented a form of it. Something to strive for, but the USA doesn't seem to give a sh*t about that kind of thing.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    I am focused on it because it is very telling of your mindset, motivations, and maturity level. If you didnt want your greed being brought out in the open you shouldnt have started off with that ****.



    No, that is not "all NN does" and the internet is not like ****ing electricity. Your analogy was terrible and you dont know anything about NN. Go troll somewhere else.
    Speaking of childish emotional outbursts...

  9. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Lots of long-serving and important State Dept. officials resign/retire (entire senior mgmt, the article says), most likely because of Trump/Tillerson, but not sure if we'll ever know definitively.

    "“It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.773c9af4824c

  10. #160

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Well, since the US never signed on to it, yeah, meaningless to us, but lots of other countries think it's a right, and some countries have implemented a form of it. Something to strive for, but the USA doesn't seem to give a sh*t about that kind of thing.
    Thankfully the US is more freedom oriented than "enslave others to appease the feelings of TheTravellers".

    No one has stopped you from giving a sh*t about it and doing something, but you havent. Have you?

  11. #161

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Your analogy was terrible and you dont know anything about NN. Go troll somewhere else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Thankfully the US is more freedom oriented than "enslave others to appease the feelings of TheTravellers".
    uncalled for... tone it down.

  12. #162

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Lots of long-serving and important State Dept. officials resign/retire (entire senior mgmt, the article says), most likely because of Trump/Tillerson, but not sure if we'll ever know definitively.

    "“It’s the single biggest simultaneous departure of institutional memory that anyone can remember, and that’s incredibly difficult to replicate,” said David Wade, who served as State Department chief of staff under Secretary of State John Kerry."

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.773c9af4824c
    Such a bold statement lol

  13. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Such a bold statement lol
    Which one, mine or Wade's?

  14. #164

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Which one, mine or Wade's?
    The officials who resigned.

  15. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Possible SCOTUS appointees - 2 out of the 3 shortlisted kind of suck, 1 would be horrible for the nation.

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...eme_court.html

  16. #166

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Possible SCOTUS appointees - 2 out of the 3 shortlisted kind of suck, 1 would be horrible for the nation.

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...eme_court.html
    And further, http://www.nationalenquirer.com/

  17. #167

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    In other words, you have no rebuttal.

  18. #168

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    In other words, you have no rebuttal.
    Rebuttal? I am simply supplying another companion source for his news. I just doubled the strength of his opinion with a comparable publication.

  19. #169

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Rebuttal? I am simply supplying another companion source for his news. I just doubled the strength of his opinion with a comparable publication.
    That's all. No, this is also a dishonest statement. That's not "all you're doing".

  20. #170

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    That's all. No, this is also a dishonest statement. That's not "all you're doing".
    Dishonest is quoting me with something I didnt say.

  21. #171

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    Dishonest is quoting me with something I didnt say.
    Do tell - what is a "reputable" news source of yours? Let's hear it.

  22. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Okie-dokie, want to play that game, Sancho? Here are all the links in the article I posted (that the author presumably read, digested, and pulled together a story from):

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...successor.html

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4bf_story.html

    http://www.politico.com/story/2012/0...-action-077791

    https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/11/11-1011.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...or_lenity.html

    http://yalejreg.com/nc/scalia-and-ch...-adam-j-white/

    https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/12/12-6294.pdf

    http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content...5-op-below.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...obamacare.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030302920.html

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/151002p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/112067p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/131516p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/121150p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/144549p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/093603p.pdf

    https://origin-www.bloomberglaw.com/...US_?1485169937

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/073997p.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...title_vii.html

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...rts_trans.html

    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...enators-234102

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...eme_court.html

    https://web.archive.org/web/20040913.../testimony.htm

    https://www.law.ua.edu/pubs/lrarticl...%204/Pryor.pdf

    http://journaltimes.com/news/nationa...56bc70b3e.html

    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

    http://findlawimages.com/efile/supre...0mo1/brief.pdf

    https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...n&as_sdt=4,121

    http://earthjustice.org/sites/defaul...cs/Alabama.pdf

    https://web.archive.org/web/20030803...=Single&Case=8

    https://www.oyez.org/cases/2001/00-1214

    https://web.archive.org/web/20030803...=Single&Case=8

    https://books.google.com/books?id=Db...qZ&sig=6a_l4h2

    https://books.google.com/books?id=mN...zations+in+a+c

    http://findlawimages.com/efile/supre...ami.states.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...eme_court.html

    http://www.slate.com/topics/m/merrick_garland.html

  23. #173

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Cid View Post
    Do tell - what is a "reputable" news source of yours? Let's hear it.
    First explain what credibility means to someone who quotes people with things they didnt say?

  24. #174

    Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Okie-dokie, want to play that game, Sancho? Here are all the links in the article I posted (that the author presumably read, digested, and pulled together a story from):

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...successor.html

    https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...4bf_story.html

    http://www.politico.com/story/2012/0...-action-077791

    https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/11/11-1011.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...or_lenity.html

    http://yalejreg.com/nc/scalia-and-ch...-adam-j-white/

    https://www.ca10.uscourts.gov/opinions/12/12-6294.pdf

    http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content...5-op-below.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...obamacare.html

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...030302920.html

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/151002p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/112067p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/131516p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/121150p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/144549p.pdf

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/093603p.pdf

    https://origin-www.bloomberglaw.com/...US_?1485169937

    http://www2.ca3.uscourts.gov/opinarch/073997p.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...title_vii.html

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2...rts_trans.html

    http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...enators-234102

    http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...eme_court.html

    https://web.archive.org/web/20040913.../testimony.htm

    https://www.law.ua.edu/pubs/lrarticl...%204/Pryor.pdf

    http://journaltimes.com/news/nationa...56bc70b3e.html

    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

    http://findlawimages.com/efile/supre...0mo1/brief.pdf

    https://scholar.google.com/scholar_c...n&as_sdt=4,121

    http://earthjustice.org/sites/defaul...cs/Alabama.pdf

    https://web.archive.org/web/20030803...=Single&Case=8

    https://www.oyez.org/cases/2001/00-1214

    https://web.archive.org/web/20030803...=Single&Case=8

    https://books.google.com/books?id=Db...qZ&sig=6a_l4h2

    https://books.google.com/books?id=mN...zations+in+a+c

    http://findlawimages.com/efile/supre...ami.states.pdf

    http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...eme_court.html

    http://www.slate.com/topics/m/merrick_garland.html
    That does not make Slate or the (specifically the opinions of its writers) credible. I could cite 100 different scientific journals in a piece where I opine that the moon is actually Donald Trump's third testicle. Doesnt mean it is worth reading, does it? The presence of your links does not somehow elevate Slate from anything but a two-bit propaganda rag.

  25. Default Re: Trump's nominees and appointees

    Quote Originally Posted by Sancho View Post
    ... I could cite 100 different scientific journals in a piece where I opine that the moon is actually Donald Trump's third testicle. ...
    Yes, you could, but you would be seen as a complete buffoon and laughing stock for drawing those conclusions from whatever articles and journals you cited (because there are no articles or journals that support that conclusion). You don't quite understand the meaning of credible, I think. The Slate article/author is *completely* credible, you just don't agree with it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Why I am still a Trump supporter..
    By SoonerQueen in forum Politics
    Replies: 333
    Last Post: 01-17-2019, 02:52 PM
  2. Donald Trump
    By Outhunder in forum Politics
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: 10-01-2015, 01:08 PM
  3. 2015 ULI Impact Award nominees
    By Pete in forum General Real Estate Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-16-2015, 07:33 AM
  4. 2015 R&R Hall of Fame nominees
    By kelroy55 in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 10-16-2014, 05:13 PM
  5. Political Appointees as Ambassadors
    By ThomPaine in forum Politics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-09-2014, 03:26 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO