Widgets Magazine
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Not answering for NoOkie, but I share his/her sentiment regarding 737s vs regional jets. Even with the CRJs being 2/2 seating, the lesser diameter of the interior as a result is just cramped feeling. One plus about flying SW into/out of OKC is that if you're lucky then you'll be on a half empty 737 -- so much room! Or back when I flew weekly for work, I got lucky once on a 6:45AM OKC-LAS SW flight and there were about 10 of us total on the plane.

So even if the seats are all width/pitch comparable to one another (and why wouldn't they be when its a race to the bottom to squeeze as many people onto a single flight), the "breathing room" does affect some of us.

2. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Just my opinion but try sitting in the middle seats for 8 or more hours in a widebody Airbus or Boeing (been there, done that). Then you really know what cramped feels like. Sorry, with catch22 and and no1cub on this one. RJs get a bad rap because of that smaller cabin but in reality, they're not that bad. You're pretty much guaranteed either an aisle or a window seat, or better yet, both if you choose the A seat in an older Embraer (135/140/145).

Now if you're really tall, then you're pretty much out of luck no matter what plane you fly in, especially these days... save for a few airlines like Lufthansa and ANA.

Appears UA is ending OKC-LAX next month. I no longer see it for sale.

Delta is adding 2 flights to LAX on Dec 30 from OKC. Both will be on a Boeing 737-900ER . Return flights are on Jan 2. There will be an 8am flight and a 430pm flight out and back

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    Just my opinion but try sitting in the middle seats for 8 or more hours in a widebody Airbus or Boeing (been there, done that). Then you really know what cramped feels like. Sorry, with catch22 and and no1cub on this one. RJs get a bad rap because of that smaller cabin but in reality, they're not that bad. You're pretty much guaranteed either an aisle or a window seat, or better yet, both if you choose the A seat in an older Embraer (135/140/145).

Now if you're really tall, then you're pretty much out of luck no matter what plane you fly in, especially these days... save for a few airlines like Lufthansa and ANA.
    I'm 6'7". I can't stand upright in the aisle of some RJs, and sometimes can't sit in the window seat because of ceiling slope. (Haven't been on one that small in a while, admittedly). Also, quite a few of the Embraer's I've been on have strange seat leg arrangements that make it hard to move my feet around, especially the very small ones with the the single seat of the aisle.

Also, 737s/A320s tend to have configurations where you can upgrade to economy plus and get an extra 3-5 inches of leg room.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    Delta is adding 2 flights to LAX on Dec 30 from OKC. Both will be on a Boeing 737-900ER . Return flights are on Jan 2. There will be an 8am flight and a 430pm flight out and back
    How strange. Are there any large events happening in la that time?

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    How strange. Are there any large events happening in la that time?
    Rose Bowl. Prices are about $800-900 RT though.

Quote Originally Posted by midtownokcer View Post
    Rose Bowl. Prices are about $800-900 RT though.
    Check again later, if they just added the flights it can take a couple days to sync the fares.

I wonder if UAL or AA will change the equipment type for this route too.

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I wonder if UAL or AA will change the equipment type for this route too.
    AA might. UA seems to never pick up on such things. And right now mainline capacity at UA is stretched. They do not have much slack to add extra capacity for special events. And given the fact the route is ending for UA, I highly doubt they'll devote the attention to adding extra capacity.

AA might. UA seems to never pick up on such things. And right now mainline capacity at UA is stretched. They do not have much slack to add extra capacity for special events. And given the fact the route is ending for UA, I highly doubt they'll devote the attention to adding extra capacity.
    UA brought out the 747 for OKC-LAX for the Rose Bowl in 2003. Doubt we see that again though!

No 747 for this game. They retired that plane last month.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    UA brought out the 747 for OKC-LAX for the Rose Bowl in 2003. Doubt we see that again though!
    Those people who planned that are either canned or retired! Trust me, things run a bit different at United now

14. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Although I feel for anyone flying at 6’7” and I’m sure it’s rough, agree that overall RJs get a bad rap. People who don’t fly much often confuse them with turboprops, which used to be really common for regional/connecting flights here and are excruciating. RJs are fast, quiet, can fly above most weather just like larger jets, and the leg room actually tends to be BETTER than larger equipment in my experience (not to mention not catching a middle seat). The only bummers are boarding/deplaning and sometimes carry-on hassle.

HangryHippo Guest

When it comes to regional jets, I much prefer (dare I say enjoy) the Embraer 170s/190s. I don't like the Bombardier CRJs. But nothing is as bad as the old Embraer ERJs 130s/140s.

The E170s/E190s are really pretty great. They don't have middle seats and they're pretty comfortable. If airlines would enforce the carry-on rules or if flyers would quit trying to break the rules about carry-ons, that'd make flying RJs a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    When it comes to regional jets, I much prefer (dare I say enjoy) the Embraer 170s/190s. I don't like the Bombardier CRJs. But nothing is as bad as the old Embraer ERJs 130s/140s.

The E170s/E190s are really pretty great. They don't have middle seats and they're pretty comfortable. If airlines would enforce the carry-on rules or if flyers would quit trying to break the rules about carry-ons, that'd make flying RJs a lot better.
    Somewhat contrary to what I said earlier in this thread, I do like the ERJ 145.. or similar planes with 1-2 seating. Having the solo seat on the left side is pretty nice!

Even in the E145's on the single side, the curvature of the fuselage leaves the room for your feet super cramped. I always choose the single seat side (because I love a window) but the aisle seat on the double side is probably a better bet.

I LOVE the increased usage of E175's though, great plans and at least with UA they all have WiFi.

Nothing is as bad as CRJ200's though. CRJ900's though are not bad.

18. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

UA likes to do charters for these types of events. Expecting 2, maybe 3 thru AAR.

19. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Josh Ryan - any chance OKC can land JetBlue to either Boston or NYC?
    They know of our interest. We meet with them annually at air service conferences. We would love to be on their radar as they get more aggressive in mid-size markets.

HangryHippo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Ryan View Post
    They know of our interest. We meet with them annually at air service conferences. We would love to be on their radar as they get more aggressive in mid-size markets.
    So no chance right now, lol.

21. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

So no chance right now, lol.
    It's rarely ever a clear cut yes or no when you are discussing air service with planners. They could call tomorrow and say "Hey, guess what...". It happens that way sometimes.

22. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

like the Austin service, perhaps. ...
    Oklahoma City, the RENAISSANCE CITY!

Quote Originally Posted by HOT ROD View Post
    like the Austin service, perhaps. ...
    I really wish them luck but they are fighting an uphill battle. Competing with WN/UA/AA who have this route covered so well through several dozen connection opportunities via Dallas and Houston. Even if connections waste time, you have a lot more time options on the network carriers.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see them give us a shot, but it will be a huge challenge for them.

I really wish them luck but they are fighting an uphill battle. Competing with WN/UA/AA who have this route covered so well through several dozen connection opportunities via Dallas and Houston. Even if connections waste time, you have a lot more time options on the network carriers.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy to see them give us a shot, but it will be a huge challenge for them.
    Reminds me of Express Jet. They did direct from OKC to multiple regional mid-tier cities, but they fizzled out. Great in theory, tough to execute.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Reminds me of Express Jet. They did direct from OKC to multiple regional mid-tier cities, but they fizzled out. Great in theory, tough to execute.
    Also launched in 2007

Thread Information