Widgets Magazine
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by PhiAlpha View Post
    Southwest has had a few nonstops to Phoenix for years, haven’t they?
    Yes, 2 daily.

I wonder how this service to OKC will affect the LAX flight. Maybe PHL isn't as far off as we think

Quote Originally Posted by damonsmuz View Post
    I wonder how this service to OKC will affect the LAX flight. Maybe PHL isn't as far off as we think
    I believe LAX was an active part of this decision as they have moved the LAX flight to an evening departure (6pm instead of 230pm).

By moving LAX PM departure back a few hours and making PHX the mid-day departure, they spread their west coast coverage throughout the day. Low yield connections can go to PHX, freeing up higher yield O&D traffic to LAX.

It will be very interesting to see what AA can do with OKC-PHX that America West or US Airways was unable to do (due to no OKC brand awareness), I suspect AA will be able to leverage their FF base in OKC enough to make it work, just like they did with CLT.

I don't think this will be a mainline flight anytime soon, but I could see them very quickly bring this to 2x daily just like CLT.

Quote Originally Posted by catch22 View Post
    Yes, 2 daily.
    I never shop or fly SWA, my bad

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I never shop or fly SWA, my bad
    Why?

Ive shopped SWA a few times but noticed their flight prices weren't that much cheaper. Sometimes they were more expensive. But SWA has a good following so I get why they're so popular. SWA route structure isn't for everybody.

HangryHippo Guest

Josh Ryan - any chance OKC can land JetBlue to either Boston or NYC?

Ive shopped SWA a few times but noticed their flight prices weren't that much cheaper. Sometimes they were more expensive. But SWA has a good following so I get why they're so popular. SWA route structure isn't for everybody.
    I prefer SW not just because of price though 2 free checked bags is a bonus but because of the planes. 737’s are just more comfortable to me than RJ’s which cycle through OKC and TUL unless it’s a random mainline flight. That and loyalty built into using their credit card keeps me flying SW.

I like SWA because if I cancel the flight at least a day out, then my money just goes into my account for any other flight within a year.

Quote Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
    I prefer SW not just because of price though 2 free checked bags is a bonus but because of the planes. 737’s are just more comfortable to me than RJ’s which cycle through OKC and TUL unless it’s a random mainline flight. That and loyalty built into using their credit card keeps me flying SW.
    +1

11. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Took all the words right out of my mouth! I second this.

Quote Originally Posted by Celebrator View Post
    Took all the words right out of my mouth! I second this.
    I have no airline brand loyalty, and SWA doesn't tend to fly where I go...but god, I hate RJs. I have an upcoming trip that's 2 2.5 hour legs on a CRJ-900 and I'm dreading it.

Quote Originally Posted by cafeboeuf View Post
    Why?
    I'm an ex CO OnePass guy and just kept that up over the years. I hardly find WN cheaper and have the UA MasterCard so that's just how I roll. Now that I'm in MSP though I'll likely switch to DL. No grudge against WN as they're a good airline and have built a great following (some for good reasons like the ones listed, others for blindly thinking they're always the cheapest).

14. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

I keep hoping for that PHL service. Surprised to see they went PHX first but I'd like to think PHL is on the way with it and MIA now being the only two AA hubs not served at OKC.

15. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

PHL is more likely than MIA. TUL had a Saturday-only MIA flight, not sure if that's still active. If you're referring to AA/Eagle hubs though, even after adding PHL, other than MIA we still won't have service to LGA, JFK or DCA which are all technically AA/Eagle hubs.

And Southwest has been flying between OKC and PHX for years now, since the '90's for sure.

And the companion pass is awesome if you can get it.

17. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bradh View Post
    I'm an ex CO OnePass guy and just kept that up over the years. I hardly find WN cheaper and have the UA MasterCard so that's just how I roll. Now that I'm in MSP though I'll likely switch to DL. No grudge against WN as they're a good airline and have built a great following (some for good reasons like the ones listed, others for blindly thinking they're always the cheapest).
    Yeah, I find WN is cheapest if you can plan WAY out in advance--like 6 months+. If you can't, the legacy carriers tend to be cheaper on short notice I have found (except within, say, 5-7 days, then they are astronomical!)

Quote Originally Posted by OUman View Post
    PHL is more likely than MIA. TUL had a Saturday-only MIA flight, not sure if that's still active. If you're referring to AA/Eagle hubs though, even after adding PHL, other than MIA we still won't have service to LGA, JFK or DCA which are all technically AA/Eagle hubs.

And Southwest has been flying between OKC and PHX for years now, since the '90's for sure.
    AA flies Sat-only TUL-MIA. Leaves TUL at 5:35 am and arrives in MIA at 9:30 am, and leaves MIA at 9:40 pm and arrives in TUL at 11:56 pm. Both on 737's.

TUL tends to get a wider variety of AA routes due to the AA maintenance base being there.

Quote Originally Posted by sbs View Post
    TUL tends to get a wider variety of AA routes due to the AA maintenance base being there.
    Yet no LAX, PHX or PHL service..

21. Default Re: 2017 Oklahoma Commercial Aviation Discussion

Come to think of it US Airways Express had daily CRJs to PHX and LAS for some time before pulling out of the market entirely. Of course LAS got de-hubbed eventually and PHX was probably over-served at the time anyway. Looks like things have come full-circle.

Omaha continues to punch above its weight (like XNA) with international service to Toronto on Air Canada Express. I think outside of a Mexican beach resort destination like Cancun by Frontier or Allegiant that YYZ is probably OKC or TUL’s best bet for intl service. YYZ has a ton of intl connections and with TSA Preclearance it makes it really easy for a 1 stop to Europe or even Asia.

http://www.omaha.com/money/eppley-wi...49015f82d.html

Flew on the AA A319 to CLT this morning and it was a full ride.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOkie View Post
    I have no airline brand loyalty, and SWA doesn't tend to fly where I go...but god, I hate RJs. I have an upcoming trip that's 2 2.5 hour legs on a CRJ-900 and I'm dreading it.
    Why? Economy class seat width on the CR7/9 is the same as a 737, plus no middle seat! All things considered I'd almost always pick a CR7/9 flight over a 737.

Quote Originally Posted by no1cub17 View Post
    Why? Economy class seat width on the CR7/9 is the same as a 737, plus no middle seat! All things considered I'd almost always pick a CR7/9 flight over a 737.
    Not only width but pitch (distance from one point on your seat to the same point on the seat in front of you) is usually equal or better than mainline.

Lavatories are my only real complaint with RJ's.

Thread Information