Widgets Magazine
Page 7 of 47 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 175 of 1164

Thread: Fake news

  1. #151

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    swake's chart is why I refuse to post links on here from below the yellow line that are opinion. Obviously Fox news can even report actual events that occured without slant, so there is obviously exceptions to every "rule". But by and large I think this is relatively accurate, however MSNBC is basically a parallel of Fox News. Opinion first thing in the morning and in all evening with crazy personalities and deceptively incomplete takes on the news. And, I agree, lately CNN has become dangerously close to falling into the opinion half truth journalism sector. Sad. Honestly I see little difference between them and Fox News.

    That all being said, that exceptions thing, does not except those mostly reputable sources from the fake news diagnosis.
    I agree with it too but I would skew the entire curve a bit to the left (and no, Travelers, I don't have proof or mathmatical calculations for my opinion, live with it).

  2. #152

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by BDP View Post
    Well, you can be wrong and you can be stupid. Those are not the same thing. If you make a mistake or misinterpret verifieable information, you may be wrong. If you base your conclusions or beliefs from unproven, unanotated, or uncertified information, you are stupid.

    So there’s no rule that says you need proven, annotated, or certified information to form your understanding of reality, but the first rule of being stupid is to disregard those things.
    If I were trying to prove string theory or writing my thesis, you are correct. However, for posting to a political string on a talk forum, no. No one has that kind of time - and if you do, congrats. Some of us work.

    So, since you didn't read my rant, either (slow day), I don’t need to cite sources to say both sides slant their reporting. My point was it's hypocritical to post every tiny incident Fox News may get wrong because the left does exactly the same thing - there is just more of left-leaning media.

  3. #153

    Default Re: Fake news

    Not really fake news, but a prosecution of a leaker appears to be underway.

    Former Senate staff member indicted in leak investigation, and New York Times reporter's email records seized @ LA Times

    As part of the investigation, federal law enforcement officials seized several years’ worth of email and phone records from a reporter who currently works for the New York Times, the paper reported Thursday.
    Ought to be interesting.

  4. Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    Nope, and don't play stupid. I have better things to do than spend my life being on here and proving things to you that you already know, and if you really don't then maybe you need to spend a little more time broadening your sources of info. And since you didn't bother reading my entire rant, I criticized Fox News for the same thing but Fox is just one small part of it so more rant time went to the rest. It's my opinion and welcome to it - there's no rule everything said must be proven, anotated and certified for you.
    I read your entire rant and generally people in here do post cites of articles that they're talking about. But that wasn't my point - I asked you to post examples of the horrible leftie mainstream media where the stories don't back up the headlines. But as I also said, don't really care about you and your opinions, so nevermind... Just wanted to clear my point up since you missed it.

  5. #155

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Not really fake news, but a prosecution of a leaker appears to be underway.

    Former Senate staff member indicted in leak investigation, and New York Times reporter's email records seized @ LA Times



    Ought to be interesting.
    This actually shows that all those times when the NYT reported on leaks and Trump screamed "Fake News", he was lying. The leaked information was real.

  6. #156

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This actually shows that all those times when the NYT reported on leaks and Trump screamed "Fake News", he was lying. The leaked information was real.
    So when Comey called em on their **** was he lying too?

    I'm still not sure how that proves that the leaks were true. All it proves to me is that people were telling reporters things. If you can show me otherwise be my guest.

  7. #157

    Default Re: Fake news

    Not exactly fake, but the word choice sure is a bit misleading.

    Iran’s top leader seeks to clarify position on Israel @ AP

    The opening line (bold mine):

    Iran’s supreme leader has sought to clarify his position on Israel after being accused of threatening its destruction.
    Accused. Did you get that. Accused of something that he had said many MANY times over again.

    A little further down in the article.

    Khamenei and other senior Iranian officials have repeatedly called for Israel’s demise, while saying Iran would only attack it in self-defense and bears no hostility toward Jews as a religious community.

    Earlier this month, a tweet posted on Khamenei’s official Twitter account said Iran’s “stance against Israel is the same stance we have always taken. #Israel is a malignant cancerous tumor in the West Asian region that has to be removed and eradicated: it is possible and it will happen.
    So I'm really curious what exactly needed clarification. It's not as if they have been beating around the bush for decades or anything.

  8. #158

    Default Re: Fake news

    I guess they feel it gives them deniability if something comes to a head. We all know their true feelings because, as you say, we've been hearing the threats and the rhetoric since their revolution. The exclamation point is the proxy war they wage with Israel through Hezbollah and Hamas. If course, there have been suspected direct conflicts in Syria in recent weeks.

  9. #159

  10. #160

    Default Re: Fake news

    Another example of how "down the middle" press has a bit of a slant to their coverage. Check the headline out on this one.

    Supreme Court upholds Ohio's vote suppression scheme @ USA Today (Editorial Board, no one wanted to put their name on it)

    Scheme has a pretty negative connotation for something that is perfectly legal and protected by laws written by Democrats.

  11. #161

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Another example of how "down the middle" press has a bit of a slant to their coverage. Check the headline out on this one.

    Supreme Court upholds Ohio's vote suppression scheme @ USA Today (Editorial Board, no one wanted to put their name on it)

    Scheme has a pretty negative connotation for something that is perfectly legal and protected by laws written by Democrats.
    This is a common mistake, but this is in no way fake news. It's an editorial and therefore is intended to give an opinion. In fact, USA Today usually gives TWO opinion pieces with opposing views on important topics.

    Like this one in response to what you posted:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ates/35940941/

  12. #162

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This is a common mistake, but this is in no way fake news. It's an editorial and therefore is intended to give an opinion. In fact, USA Today usually gives TWO opinion pieces with opposing views on important topics.

    Like this one in response to what you posted:
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...ates/35940941/
    I noticed that guy put his name on it (which also comes with the disclaimer that he does not necessarily represent the views of the paper). The first one was the view of the paper though.

  13. #163

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I noticed that guy put his name on it (which also comes with the disclaimer that he does not necessarily represent the views of the paper). The first one was the view of the paper though.
    Yes, that's how USA Today works, one column is the opinion of their editorial board (which is not connected to the news room) and they then invite someone to write an opposing view with a contrasting or opposing opinion. That's called good journalism.

    Also, do notice the word opinion. These aren't even news pieces. You are just plain wrong here, this is in no way Fake News or slanted news.

  14. #164

    Default Re: Fake news

    Look I'm all for people making more money and improving their lots in life and all, but this is the kind of mindless fraction of truth reporting that just irks the hell out of me.

    A minimum-wage worker can’t afford a 2-bedroom apartment anywhere in the U.S. (Wonkblog @ Washington Times)

    The assumptions that must be made to come to this conclusion, in addition to the downright ignorance of how averages are calculated are astounding. And this guy has a regular blog posting for the Post.

    Again I understand that it ain't easy making minimum wage, but this kind of BS doesn't help anyone. Plus, unsurprising to those of us who understand how the world works, there really is such a small percentage of the workforce actually makes minimum wage (or lower). I think it is still less than 3% of the workforce.

    Edit: I believe it is actually less than 3% of workers paid by the hour.

  15. #165

    Default Re: Fake news

    This story has already been updated, but apparently CBS ran last night with a story that Sarah Sanders was leaving at year end. Your feelings for Sanders aside, it seems that they may have been duped by people NOT NEARLY as close to the spokesmen as they made themselves out to be. But hey, when you have a narrative, and you come across something that fits, you run with it.

    Sarah Sanders, Raj Shah planning to depart the White House @ CBS News

  16. #166

    Default Re: Fake news

    Hey, maybe this is what you were talking about with "Fake News"
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...t-reveals.html

    This is a NEWS article with the headline: "FBI agent Strzok reportedly texted 'we'll stop' Trump from becoming president"

    Buried in paragraph seven is this
    But Bloomberg News, which also reported the new Strzok message, said Horowitz’s report says investigators “did not find documentary or testimonial evidence [in the Clinton case] that improper considerations, including political bias, directly affected the specific investigative actions we reviewed.”

  17. #167

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    This story has already been updated, but apparently CBS ran last night with a story that Sarah Sanders was leaving at year end. Your feelings for Sanders aside, it seems that they may have been duped by people NOT NEARLY as close to the spokesmen as they made themselves out to be. But hey, when you have a narrative, and you come across something that fits, you run with it.

    Sarah Sanders, Raj Shah planning to depart the White House @ CBS News

    This is Sarah Sanders we are talking about. If she denies something it's MORE likely to be true than if she said it was true.

  18. #168

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Hey, maybe this is what you were talking about with "Fake News"
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...t-reveals.html

    This is a NEWS article with the headline: "FBI agent Strzok reportedly texted 'we'll stop' Trump from becoming president"

    Buried in paragraph seven is this
    The headline is a fact. Horrowitz bit is an opinion. Just saying.

  19. #169

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This is Sarah Sanders we are talking about. If she denies something it's MORE likely to be true than if she said it was true.
    Wouldn't it then be more prudent to spike the story. Particularly if the subject outright refutes your hearsay claim?

  20. #170

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The headline is a fact. Horrowitz bit is an opinion. Just saying.
    Is is a fact that the official finding of the IG is that there was no political bias by the leadership of the FBI.

  21. #171

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Wouldn't it then be more prudent to spike the story. Particularly if the subject outright refutes your hearsay claim?
    Not my claim and I don't know how well the story is sourced. CBS is a quality news organization and they left the story up even after she refuted it. I have no idea if it's accurate. I just know to not take anything she says seriously. CBS must know the same thing.

  22. #172

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Is is a fact that the official finding of the IG is that there was no political bias by the leadership of the FBI.
    It's a fact that it is the IG's opinion. Yes.

    But the headline still holds water. That's what the text said. Now, if you want to try to contextualize what he really meant that's another thing. You know as well as I that headlines are intended to grad attention. This one did that and didn't lie. So I'm not sure what you have your panties in a wad over.

    I believe the IG even said something to the effect that the texts between those two went on to hurt the integrity of the FBI.

  23. Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    This is Sarah Sanders we are talking about. If she denies something it's MORE likely to be true than if she said it was true.
    Speaking of Sanders, she's a total piece of s***, wish she'd leave sooner.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d4fc01fc9b1d

  24. #174

    Default Re: Fake news

    Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Speaking of Sanders, she's a total piece of s***, wish she'd leave sooner.

    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0d4fc01fc9b1d
    while she has been terrible at her job... it is also a very difficult job to perform when you are not given all of the information from those higher than you. Those that have made it personal in their feelings towards her (such as the death threats she often receives on twitter and reddit) probably couldn't do the job either.

  25. #175

    Default Re: Fake news

    Lies* spewed this morning by the Cheeto in Chief:
    1. The IG report "totally exonerates me"
    2. It's the Dems fault that we separate children at the border. How disgusting that this administration is putting kids in concentration camps. The shame that is being put on the citizens of this country is mind boggling.

    * http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/factch...uOV?li=BBnb7Kz

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Fake Dentist
    By GoOKC1991 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  2. Hurricane Irene - Fake?
    By Just the facts in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-28-2011, 07:53 AM
  3. Blake the Fake...?
    By BiggThunda in forum Sports
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-26-2011, 12:31 PM
  4. Most of you go to fake churches
    By Easy180 in forum Current Events & Open Topic
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-26-2007, 05:37 PM
  5. Fox 25 airing "fake news"
    By Moondog in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-01-2006, 03:25 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO