Widgets Magazine
Page 6 of 47 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake news

Default Re: Fake news

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Boss View Post
    So let's actually think about what is the more likely thing. Trump making a subtle joke or being ignorant of American history. If it was a joke then the national security rationale he is using vis a vis Canada is a joke as well. Never let the opportunity of spinning for this guy pass by.
    Yet in 2012 Canada released commemorative stamps of the bicentennial of the war, including the burning of Washington, so obviously it's part of their national identity.

Watching a president confuse allies (EU, Mexico, and Canada) with adversaries (China-ZTE, Russia) is not funny at all.

It's not always cut and dry... at least not as clear as your misunderstanding of history in this matter is.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/04/standi...cas-greatness/

We call Hamas out, the rest of the world condemns us. Who is our ally again? Maybe to our face they say they are, but actions mean something.

This is what is irratating.

Dems: We want to talk about serious issues.

Dems actually: Trump doesn't know that it wasn't the Canadians that burned the White House.

Dems after actually: Well, Trump has messed up on a lot of other stuff, so forget my sad attempt to make the president look stupid.

This has happened so many times, it's essentially like a newspaper quoting itself as proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    It's not always cut and dry... at least not as clear as your misunderstanding of history in this matter is.

https://nypost.com/2018/06/04/standi...cas-greatness/

We call Hamas out, the rest of the world condemns us. Who is our ally again? Maybe to our face they say they are, but actions mean something.
    What is your point here? Showing fealty to Israel is a good thing?

This is what is irritating.

Dems actually: Trump doesn't know that it wasn't the Canadians that burned the White House.

Dems after actually: Well, Trump has messed up on a lot of other stuff, so forget my sad attempt to make the president look stupid.

This has happened so many times, it's essentially like a newspaper quoting itself as proof.
    Trump does not need anybody to make him look stupid. A phone is all he needs.

You prove my point.

You prove my point.
    Reporting stupidity is not creating stupidity. Glad we agree.

Does he at least know how many states there are? Or how to pronounce nuclear? Or what the definition of is is?

Quote Originally Posted by jerrywall View Post
    Does he at least know how many states there are? Or how to pronounce nuclear? Or what the definition of is is?
    Glad you brought up, “the nuclear”. What a mono-syllabic idiot:

“Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us.”

Just ask John Barron

Reporting stupidity is not creating stupidity. Glad we agree.
    And you've won an argument we weren't having. Totally awesome how that works.

And you've won an argument we weren't having. Totally awesome how that works.
    Thanks for your apology.

Thanks for your apology.
    Anytime.

Totally lost on you is how I basically mocked Trump detractors for making a ridiculous claim, and then when confronted on it, then moving on to say he is stupid for other reasons. And then you did exactly that.

This is what is irratating.

This goes with some of my recent posts. I wasn't making personal slights of Swake or Jersey Boss but to point out that some of the posts put on here are so petty, so silly and so pot-calling-the-kettle-black as to just be maddening. It is totally hypocritical to point out the faults of Fox News as the single conservative-slant major news network when the rest of the major news media slant left, to various degrees. At the same time, outlets like CNN allow regular-apprearing pundits to appear on air and make outrageous and totally incorrect statements - as news commentary - only to have to recant or correct their statements on a regular basis.

No one needs to point out Trump's faults but the recent #metoo events have shown the lack of respect towards women is, sadly, pretty common among powerful people Democrat or Republican, black or white, right or left. Also remember that a recent POTUS committed acts arguably worse than Trump towards women and then looked America in the TV camera eye and bald-faced lied about it - yet is one of the most respected and beloved Democrats out there. So, all the outrage, indignation and hatred for Trump is also hypocritical.

The recent propensity of the media to report first with little desire to ensure accuracy then ask forgiveness later is not just troubling, but potentially frightening since we've now seen the Russians effectively interfere in our elections. As Eric said, the mindless, joyous trample -over-each-other -to-the-door pandemonium to be the first to report something Trump said wrong, Trump mis-punctuated in his latest Twit (intended), the latest rumor of someone in his cabinet saying something negative, or the possible golden ticket development that could put Trump away is leading to the complete discredit of most all the mainstream media.

Piling on the very questionable reporting of the MSM are admittedly slanted media outlets like Slate, HuffingtonPost, Politico or Salon. These "news" sites and dozens of others don't profess to be balanced or impartial so attempt to be only as accurate as necessary to maintain some semblance of credibility. Especially with HuffingtonPost, I've seen many accusational headlines but then find little backup in the body of the article.

The third part of the attack comes from entertainers, virtually all from the left, who say literally anything, no matter how wrong, how opinionated, how hateful or how downright vile or perverted the barb aimed at The President, Republicans and Conservatives - or even members of the President's family. This segment has no need to be truthful, as long as they are hateful - then they can all go high-five and fist-bump the other hatefuls. Entertainers such as Jimmy Fallon and Steven Colbert just plain make things up Trump or a member of his cabinet or family did, then call it satire.

The final group are other left-wing politicians who also seem to be able to say anything, no matter how false, hateful, outrageous or damaging the statement may be. Again, these people have no need to apologize because the can always hide behind the wall of "its just politics. " We are seeing current as well as former political leaders who have stooped so low as to go behind the Government's back and run counter-negotiations such as John Kerry encouraging the Palestinians to reject peace negotiations with Trump. A reative few have absolutely no shame in what they say and relish in the attention they get - just like certain vermin entertainers.

wrapping it all up gets back to how the left-leaning mainstream media will report any of what any of these folks say so long as it makes Trump, Republicans and Conservatives look bad. The reporting will cite "sources," will try to back it up but later find the reporting was slanted, taken totally out of context or, if found to be false, may give a weak apology and then move to the next falsehood.

Yes, Fox News also makes mistakes and slants to the right but they will also report vast amounts of news the rest of the MSM won't report, that several of you dismiss simply because it came from Fox or know nothing about so you just say "Oh, you really don't believe that, do you?" Remember, it was the National Enquirer that brought out Clinton's stained dress and Gary Hart Monkey Business and love child because the MSM wouldn't report it until they had to. Fox long beat them to it all the while being dismissed by the MSM.

Quote Originally Posted by mugofbeer View Post
    This goes with some of my recent posts. I wasn't making personal slights of Swake or Jersey Boss but to point out that some of the posts put on here are so petty, so silly and so pot-calling-the-kettle-black as to just be maddening. It is totally hypocritical to point out the faults of Fox News as the single conservative-slant major news network when the rest of the major news media slant left, to various degrees. At the same time, outlets like CNN allow regular-apprearing pundits to appear on air and make outrageous and totally incorrect statements - as news commentary - only to have to recant or correct their statements on a regular basis.

No one needs to point out Trump's faults but the recent #metoo events have shown the lack of respect towards women is, sadly, pretty common among powerful people Democrat or Republican, black or white, right or left. Also remember that a recent POTUS committed acts arguably worse than Trump towards women and then looked America in the TV camera eye and bald-faced lied about it - yet is one of the most respected and beloved Democrats out there. So, all the outrage, indignation and hatred for Trump is also hypocritical.

The recent propensity of the media to report first with little desire to ensure accuracy then ask forgiveness later is not just troubling, but potentially frightening since we've now seen the Russians effectively interfere in our elections. As Eric said, the mindless, joyous trample -over-each-other -to-the-door pandemonium to be the first to report something Trump said wrong, Trump mis-punctuated in his latest Twit (intended), the latest rumor of someone in his cabinet saying something negative, or the possible golden ticket development that could put Trump away is leading to the complete discredit of most all the mainstream media.

Piling on the very questionable reporting of the MSM are admittedly slanted media outlets like Slate, HuffingtonPost, Politico or Salon. These "news" sites and dozens of others don't profess to be balanced or impartial so attempt to be only as accurate as necessary to maintain some semblance of credibility. Especially with HuffingtonPost, I've seen many accusational headlines but then find little backup in the body of the article.

The third part of the attack comes from entertainers, virtually all from the left, who say literally anything, no matter how wrong, how opinionated, how hateful or how downright vile or perverted the barb aimed at The President, Republicans and Conservatives - or even members of the President's family. This segment has no need to be truthful, as long as they are hateful - then they can all go high-five and fist-bump the other hatefuls. Entertainers such as Jimmy Fallon and Steven Colbert just plain make things up Trump or a member of his cabinet or family did, then call it satire.

The final group are other left-wing politicians who also seem to be able to say anything, no matter how false, hateful, outrageous or damaging the statement may be. Again, these people have no need to apologize because the can always hide behind the wall of "its just politics. " We are seeing current as well as former political leaders who have stooped so low as to go behind the Government's back and run counter-negotiations such as John Kerry encouraging the Palestinians to reject peace negotiations with Trump. A reative few have absolutely no shame in what they say and relish in the attention they get - just like certain vermin entertainers.

wrapping it all up gets back to how the left-leaning mainstream media will report any of what any of these folks say so long as it makes Trump, Republicans and Conservatives look bad. The reporting will cite "sources," will try to back it up but later find the reporting was slanted, taken totally out of context or, if found to be false, may give a weak apology and then move to the next falsehood.

Yes, Fox News also makes mistakes and slants to the right but they will also report vast amounts of news the rest of the MSM won't report, that several of you dismiss simply because it came from Fox or know nothing about so you just say "Oh, you really don't believe that, do you?" Remember, it was the National Enquirer that brought out Clinton's stained dress and Gary Hart Monkey Business and love child because the MSM wouldn't report it until they had to. Fox long beat them to it all the while being dismissed by the MSM.
    Sean Hannity is on Fox every day spouting complete. nonsense. And he's far from the only one.

Good Lord! I'm sorry for such a lengthy post!

Quote Originally Posted by Swake View Post
    Sean Hannity is on Fox every day spouting complete. nonsense. And he's far from the only one.
    I think I said Fox does that. Fox is news AND news entertainers. Thier shows are opinion unless they have a Government official as a guest. CNN uses Blitzer and Cooper (at least), who also report the news.

18. Default Re: Fake news

Wow, you sound like the crazy uncle at family gatherings with all your generalizations and stereotypes and false accusations, can't take you seriously at all...

Just have to ask, though - Got any specific cites for stories from all those horrible left-slanted websites that don't back up their claims? Y'know, nevermind, I don't care enough about what you say to pay attention to you any longer.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTravellers View Post
    Wow, you sound like the crazy uncle at family gatherings with all your generalizations and stereotypes and false accusations, can't take you seriously at all...

Just have to ask, though - Got any specific cites for stories from all those horrible left-slanted websites that don't back up their claims? Y'know, nevermind, I don't care enough about what you say to pay attention to you any longer.
    Only positive reinforcement allowed. I've heard that's such a good thing.

20. Default Re: Fake news

Only positive reinforcement allowed. I've heard that's such a good thing.
    Nope, you don't have it right - I welcome opposing viewpoints, as long as they're rational and fact-based, not rantings about how horrible the leftie mainstream media is.

I think I said Fox does that. Fox is news AND news entertainers. Thier shows are opinion unless they have a Government official as a guest. CNN uses Blitzer and Cooper (at least), who also report the news.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/fox-news/

And let me be clear, I have no issue with a number of people at Fox, people like Shep Smith, Brit Hume, Neil Cavuto and Andrew Napolitano are perfectly fine. I may not agree with them, but they aren't spewing falsehoods, at least not knowingly.

But Fox makes no distinction between those people and Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Jeanine Pirro and Tomi Lehran who are just lying to you. That makes Fox a very shaky news organization. Not just that they have a bias or are slanted, or even get things wrong at times. These people lie. Constantly. So Fox is crap.

I do take issue with CNN anymore, they are often biased and their reporting has gone way downhill. Look at this chart and you can see that, they are basically Huffpo anymore. I think Cooper and Blitzer are good, but Lemon and most of the others are pretty bad. But CNN and Huffpo are better than Fox. They are slanted, but they don't outright lie.

It's false to say that Wapo, NYT, NBC, CBS, ABC, NPR and the like are lying and Fake News and are just the liberal version of Fox. It's not true. Trump only claims this because he's terrified.

Nope, you don't have it right - I welcome opposing viewpoints, as long as they're rational and fact-based, not rantings about how horrible the leftie mainstream media is.
    I think that what you said isn't rational.

swake's chart is why I refuse to post links on here from below the yellow line that are opinion. Obviously Fox news can even report actual events that occured without slant, so there is obviously exceptions to every "rule". But by and large I think this is relatively accurate, however MSNBC is basically a parallel of Fox News. Opinion first thing in the morning and in all evening with crazy personalities and deceptively incomplete takes on the news. And, I agree, lately CNN has become dangerously close to falling into the opinion half truth journalism sector. Sad. Honestly I see little difference between them and Fox News.

That all being said, that exceptions thing, does not except those mostly reputable sources from the fake news diagnosis.

Nope, and don't play stupid. I have better things to do than spend my life being on here and proving things to you that you already know, and if you really don't then maybe you need to spend a little more time broadening your sources of info. And since you didn't bother reading my entire rant, I criticized Fox News for the same thing but Fox is just one small part of it so more rant time went to the rest. It's my opinion and welcome to it - there's no rule everything said must be proven, anotated and certified for you.

Books Re: Fake news

Nope, and don't play stupid.... there's no rule everything said must be proven, anotated and certified for you.
    Well, you can be wrong and you can be stupid. Those are not the same thing. If you make a mistake or misinterpret verifieable information, you may be wrong. If you base your conclusions or beliefs from unproven, unanotated, or uncertified information, you are stupid.

So there’s no rule that says you need proven, annotated, or certified information to form your understanding of reality, but the first rule of being stupid is to disregard those things.

Thread Information